Carlyle Fired

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Who are GM’s that have been head coaches at the same time? Off the top of my head: Pat Quinn with Leafs, Bryan Murray with Sens, Lou Lamoriello with NJ, Darryl Sutter with Flames

Jacques Martin and Scotty Bowman. I probably still miss a few guys too, feel free to add to the list.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Who are GM’s that have been head coaches at the same time? Off the top of my head: Pat Quinn with Leafs, Bryan Murray with Sens, Lou Lamoriello with NJ, Darryl Sutter with Flames
Sutter was a better coach than he was a GM. He should never have taken the promotion (I think he went from coach to GM).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Always interesting when the GM comes down from his tower to coach.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
eakins has done a very good job in SD

no head coach could have had success with those disastrous oilers teams. krueger got the most out of that bunch and then was fired

If he sucks next year (assuming he gets the job) then it's a fair criticism

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lou, Quinn, Sutter, MacTavish, Bryan Murray all had coaching history when they went downstairs.

I've never seen a team do this with a guy who has little to none.

only instance in pro sports i know of where a GM coached a team without any previous coaching experience was when marlins GM dan jennings became their interim manager a few years back. unless you count coaching high school baseball

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Murray probably won't do much better but I think he likely wants to see what he has in the locker room and to identify who is apart of the solution and who needs to go.

with TDL right around the corner; I think this is a pro-active move to identify first hand instead of hearing from the coach about the players.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
giphy.gif

awww gritty was cute as a baby

:laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Seems like a nice guy but he’s a terrible coach. Crazy that he lasted so long.

That said, could be about a 25% chance he ends up in Edmonton.

Edmonton wasted a BIG opportunity not to grab Trotz when he was available. Carlyle isn't going to change anything there; if at all - the way his systems work I think it might get even worse

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Murray is awfully clever. He fired Carlyle, but he's replaced him with perhaps the one person liable to do a worse job: himself, considering that he has no coaching experience whatsoever. That's how you preserve the tank.

Reactions: Slyfox and Bender66

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
This is really going to be interesting, and most likely very entertaining with BM behind the bench.. I guess if you're not going to hire a real coach, then maybe just crash and burn in dramatic fashion.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Ducks are the new Oilers

Embarrassing

Did I miss all the number one picks? One bad season doesn't even make them close to the Oilers. Funny part in for all their bad this season, they just barely got passed by the teams in the west in the standings.

Reactions: LuG61

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Did I miss all the number one picks? One bad season doesn't even make them close to the Oilers. Funny part in for all their bad this season, they just barely got passed by the teams in the west in the standings.

If Ducks didn't have Gibson, they'd be close to the new Oilers. Heck it's actually debatable if they'd be in even worse shape than the Oilers if they had the same caliber goaltending as them during their darkest years.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
They looked liked walking death yesterday here in Philly. Carter Hart made some big stops at the get go and it was all down hill from there. You just knew the shoe was going to drop after that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad