Movies: Captain Marvel

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
It was O.K, I just never really felt super engaged. Entirely forgettable and I'll likely never re watch it. I'll echo some statements that I wish they went a liiiiiittle bit further into what exactly her powers are. I'm not a comic book reader, so the absolute peak of explanation we get is her saying they're "photon blasts", and that's it, I just had no idea about what the core was even made of unless I missed something :laugh: I'm hoping the sequel goes a little deeper.

I don't mind Larson in the role however. Kept hearing how she was incredibly boring and while she may not have as much personality as some others, I actually think it fit the character for the most part. She's not the person she was before, so naturally it made no sense for her to act like it. She's extremely powerful and knows it, just doesnt really flaunt it. 6/10 for me, will be fun to see her in Endgame. 1 more month!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Reactions: Roman Fell

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just saw it and thought it was good overall. Enjoyable movie on its own but lacked the punch that other origin movies had. It did manage to fill in missing pieces of other Marvel movies as it slides right in before Endgame.

Certainly some glossed over questions but I feel that it was in a tough position. Given how in-depth the Avengers storyline has progress the characters, it's a tough position to really develop Captain Marvel's character in the same scope within one movie. In this aspect they did a solid job integrated her into the MCU for Endgame.

I still would like to see more about her in Endgame. I feel that she is such a key piece in the story to defeating Thanos that developing her a little more will be important.

For me this was just about learning about her character, how they were going to integrate her into the MCU, and where has she been all this time in the Avengers storyline. I was happy with how it all played out, and it really adds to the excitement of Endgame.

The post credit scene was a nice blunt way to get to the point, that she has arrived. Additionally I loved that her nicked on her jet was "Avenger" .. Quite perfect actually

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Not bad. As someone who is really against ham-handed attempts to insert social issues into fantasy movies, this one wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. A few moments, but nothing bad enough to detract from the movie.

I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle of the pack of Marvel movies. Easily better than Black Panther.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Not the best Marvel movie. Somewhere in the middle of the pack.

The main character was not developed enough. I mean we know her origin story now (the movie story), but we don't really know her. We don't know how she would react on things, people and places. We can easily predict what would Thor or Captain America say or do in this or that situation, but it is simply not enough information about Captain Marvel to make the same predictions. Well, it was only one film about her, but it could be done better. For example, Doctor Strange movie did a really good job in this regard.

What I like is the personality of the main character. She is a bit like Iron Man, but with more of a foxy attitude than him. So she does not try to shock everyone like Tony, instead she uses cunning and wit. At least that is how I see it considering the shortage of development (and I never read any comics). Anyway I expect a lot of funny interactions between her and other avengers in the next movies. This is gonna be fun!

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I absolutely loved the movie - one question, though. Is the baseball on the ship a nod to Superman? Or is it something else that I missed?

She did play baseball in some of those flashbacks. I would think its a reference to her past more than to Superman.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Also, did Superman play baseball? Why is he associated with baseball? Other than the uber American thing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually didn’t really enjoy this movie. Partially expectations. It’s an origins side movie and those tend to not be the quality of the main movies but this one has a lot of hype and obviously will quickly be an important part of the marvel world.
For the record I could care less about female leads in these movies. Totally fine with it.

Found the whole thing forced and a little awkward. I like Brie generally. I didn’t feel her in this role at all. I never got emotionally charged from any of the emotional parts. The story line seemed really jumbled, especially early. Not in a “it’s so complex I can’t comprehend” way, just didn’t add up right.

I thought the humor typically found in these movies wasn’t there at all, or just missed. All the laughing/bonding with Fury felt forced and fake. When she was “unleashed” she suddenly has full control of all this ridiculous range of powers without any practice with them. I thought she was going to have some clever and amazing way to stop all the missles, nope she’s just gonna outmuscle one and throw it back magically blowing all the others up.

This really felt too heavy on agenda, which sucks because I like the agenda. It just felt like it was made for a 13 year old girl, which of course it is but these movies usually find a way for everyone else to enjoy them. Even the soundtrack was close but not quite. I’m sure there’s a reason in the comics for this to be 1995, but even “I’m just a girl” felt forced and spoon fed.

This was the first one I really was strongly “meh” about. I’d watch the ant man movies again before watching this, and I thought THOSE were bland.

Reactions: Kurtz

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It was O.K, I just never really felt super engaged. Entirely forgettable and I'll likely never re watch it. I'll echo some statements that I wish they went a liiiiiittle bit further into what exactly her powers are. I'm not a comic book reader, so the absolute peak of explanation we get is her saying they're "photon blasts", and that's it, I just had no idea about what the core was even made of unless I missed something :laugh: I'm hoping the sequel goes a little deeper.

The energy core come from the tesseract.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I don't mind Larson in the role however. Kept hearing how she was incredibly boring and while she may not have as much personality as some others, I actually think it fit the character for the most part. She's not the person she was before, so naturally it made no sense for her to act like it. She's extremely powerful and knows it, just doesnt really flaunt it. 6/10 for me, will be fun to see her in Endgame. 1 more month!

the core used the power of the tesseract. so when she absorbed it, her powers are basically that of the tesseract (space stone)

similar to how Scarlet Witch's powers are that of the Mind Stone

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
She did play baseball in some of those flashbacks. I would think its a reference to her past more than to Superman.
In Superman (1978), Clark Kent lets a prospective land developer throw a strike by him, while he refuses to sell his family farm to the guy. After the guy leaves, he hits the baseball into outer space.
Just seems like the baseball found on the ship could be a nod to the first great superhero epic movie.

Superman 1v GIF - Superman 1v ClarkKent - Discover & Share GIFs

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
In Superman (1978), Clark Kent lets a prospective land developer throw a strike by him, while he refuses to sell his family farm to the guy. After the guy leaves, he hits the baseball into outer space.
Just seems like the baseball found on the ship could be a nod to the first great superhero epic movie.

Superman 1v GIF - Superman 1v ClarkKent - Discover & Share GIFs

That would be an extremely deep cut. I suppose big Superman fans might make the connection.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Wait....so DC has a Captain Marvel as well, who is also known as Shazam?

long story short.

Fawcett Comics made Captain Marvel originally as a rip off of Superman. DC sued, and won so they stopped making Captain Marvel comics.

While shelved, Marvel Comics came in, produced a hero named Captain Marvel and got the trademark rights to the name. The original creator of Captain Marvel didn't fight it because they couldn't make comics with the name anyways from the DC lawsuit.

DC then licensed the properties from Fawcett, but couldn't use the name because of Marvel's trademark. So they changed it to Shazam! (the phrase Captain Marvel would yell to transform)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
long story short.

Fawcett Comics made Captain Marvel originally as a rip off of Superman. DC sued, and won so they stopped making Captain Marvel comics.

While shelved, Marvel Comics came in, produced a hero named Captain Marvel and got the trademark rights to the name. The original creator of Captain Marvel didn't fight it because they couldn't make comics with the name anyways from the DC lawsuit.

DC then licensed the properties from Fawcett, but couldn't use the name because of Marvel's trademark. So they changed it to Shazam! (the phrase Captain Marvel would yell to transform)
Interesting. The trailer for Shazam is just as silly as your story

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Interesting. The trailer for Shazam is just as silly as your story

As if the story wasn’t confusing enough, Marvel Comics original Captain Marvel was a Kree dude visiting earth to spy on us. Then came Ms Marvel, who became Warbird, who then became Captain Marvel (the Kree dude died of cancer), and now there is a new Ms Marvel who is sort of like a teenage girl version of Reed Richards in the stretchy superpower department.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Saw it today and enjoyed it for the most part. Most of the "aliens with a story" Marvel movies lose me, but this one straightened itself out pretty quick. I'd put it below Dr Strange and Black Panther, but above Ant Man and First Avenger as well as the Thor films. I liked Brie Larson and thought Sam Jackson did a great job playing a different, lower level version of Fury.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Saw it today and enjoyed it for the most part. Most of the "aliens with a story" Marvel movies lose me, but this one straightened itself out pretty quick. I'd put it below Dr Strange and Black Panther, but above Ant Man and First Avenger as well as the Thor films. I liked Brie Larson and thought Sam Jackson did a great job playing a different, lower level version of Fury.

Hah, I would rank them almost the complete opposite. I like this one more than Black Panther and Dr. Strange, but not as much as the Ant-Man movies or The First Avenger. Its better than the first two Thor films but it doesn't come close to Ragnarok (which is probably my favourite MCU movie overall but it is close between it, Civil War and Infinity War).

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hah, I would rank them almost the complete opposite. I like this one more than Black Panther and Dr. Strange, but not as much as the Ant-Man movies or The First Avenger. Its better than the first two Thor films but it doesn't come close to Ragnarok (which is probably my favourite MCU movie overall but it is close between it, Civil War and Infinity War).

same. if you broke them into tiers, CM is probably at/near the top of tier 2.

Black Panther was saved big time by Killmonger/Michael B Jordan

My tier 1 is: Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, GOTG1, Ragnarok, Infinity War

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad