OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I took my daughter and niece to the movie

How it's made close on 1 billion dollars box office world wide is beyond me

It's a completely meh film, it's not good or bad it's just there

I'm done with super hero movies

Honestly, most of them bore the **** out of me at this point

So what you’re saying is we shouldn’t really look too much into your opinion of the movie? Not sure why people feel the need to tell everyone they don’t really like superhero movies, while simultaneously telling us their opinion on the movie.

It’s like me going into the tennis section of this board and giving my opinion on a match I have no interest in.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Sep 19, 2008
You hear a lot about superhero fatigue which is fair but then don't see the movie. I don't watch DC movies so you won't see me in a DC thread complaining about how I saw Suicide Squad and it was bad or crap like that.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
You hear a lot about superhero fatigue which is fair but then don't see the movie. I don't watch DC movies so you won't see me in a DC thread complaining about how I saw Suicide Squad and it was bad or crap like that.

However, I do watch DC... and I will say that movie is crap :laugh:

But I agree with you, for sure.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I took my daughter and niece to the movie

How it's made close on 1 billion dollars box office world wide is beyond me

It's a completely meh film, it's not good or bad it's just there

I'm done with super hero movies

Honestly, most of them bore the **** out of me at this point
Super hero movies say:

tenor.gif

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
these movies aren't for everyone but for a marvel fan like me i liked it

I used to be, I've just got superhero fatigue and I think the quality of the movies has slowly dropped over time, just like the Star wars franchise

It was so by the numbers I felt like I'd seen it before, many many times

So what you’re saying is we shouldn’t really look too much into your opinion of the movie? Not sure why people feel the need to tell everyone they don’t really like superhero movies, while simultaneously telling us their opinion on the movie.

It’s like me going into the tennis section of this board and giving my opinion on a match I have no interest in.

I used to enjoy these movies, the fact that I've lost intrest and think the quality is slowly dropping is an option of sorts

Your a fan, sweet

Super hero movies say:

tenor.gif

Great, I'd point out that I took two kids who would be the next generation of fans of super hero movies who also thought it was pretty meh as well

If you like these movies and want more it would be incumbent to think about that as well

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I used to be, I've just got superhero fatigue and I think the quality of the movies has slowly dropped over time, just like the Star wars franchise

It was so by the numbers I felt like I'd seen it before, many many times

I used to enjoy these movies, the fact that I've lost intrest and think the quality is slowly dropping is an option of sorts

Your a fan, sweet

Great, I'd point out that I took two kids who would be the next generation of fans of super hero movies who also thought it was pretty meh as well

If you like these movies and want more it would be incumbent to think about that as well

Based on the amount of money these things are brining in, I think it’s safe to say the 2 kids you brought don’t reflect the “next generation” all that well.

I mean, yeah.. superhero movies are going to generally have similar characteristics. That’s just kind of how it is.

The funny thing is.. I thought Captain Marvel actually broke a little from the normal origin stories. I’ve seen people complain about that, and then people complain it’s too similar to all other superhero movies.

Guess you just can’t please everyone.

That issue I have with these kind of takes is that they distract from the actual critiques of what makes the movie not as strong. And actual critics are guilty of this too.

It’s fine for people to have superhero movie fatigue, but that doesn’t really do much in telling me the specifics of what was wrong with this movie. Does that mean this movie would be viewed more positively if it was released years ago?

Again, excuse my rant. You could say I have superhero-movie-fatigue-complaint-fatigue.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's humorous even on HF, people get upset when there's threads/lengthy discussion for non-bluechip prospects. Sometimes I want to ask them "You realize you're posting on a hockey prospects message board right?"

----------------

As for the movie, it was enjoyable enough. Apparently they filmed that Blockbuster scene on location at the last one in the US in Bend, Oregon. Back in September I was in Oregon with a friend. I unsuccessfully tried to convince her to make the 45 minute detour to go.

One small nitpick for me was the song choice during the climatic scene. I was thinking about it again yesterday and thought that Liz Phair's Supernova might have fit better. Albeit the song's actual lyrics wouldn't have made sense, but the chorus maybe and then loop the instrumental for the rest of the scene.

But who knows if they even had the rights to every song they wanted. Apparently the standee (I didn't even know that was a word until watching some easter egg videos) of True Lies was intended to be The Mask. And she would have blasted Jim Carrey's green faced standee thinking it was a Skrull.

Edit: Apparently not the first choice of songs: 'Captain Marvel': No Doubt's "Just A Girl" Was Not The First Choice For The Soundtrack

In an interview on the Empire Film Podcast, Boden joked that the team had tried "about three thousand" different songs in the same sequence before eventually settling on the No Doubt hit.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Based on the amount of money these things are brining in, I think it’s safe to say the 2 kids you brought don’t reflect the “next generation” all that well.

It definitely does not. People will always have their own preferences but with streaming services being so common place now binge watching is becoming the norm. Is a single Star Wars movie every year going to cause "fatigue" in a market where people an jump on Netflix and smash through like 70 hours of Game of Thrones at whatever pace they please?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ill have to watch that later. I’ve had that ginger Irish cartoon guy show up in my recommendations. He’s a moron (and probably a prick). As is that Quartering Guy.

I’m interested to see what PewDiePie’s comments were though. I don’t watch him much but what I have seen of him he doesn’t do the “SJWs are ruining everything” shtick as much as just making fun of everything, and that often includes SJWs.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ill have to watch that later. I’ve had that ginger Irish cartoon guy show up in my recommendations. He’s a moron (and probably a prick). As is that Quartering Guy.

I’m interested to see what PewDiePie’s comments were though. I don’t watch him much but what I have seen of him he doesn’t do the “SJWs are ruining everything” shtick as much as just making fun of everything, and that often includes SJWs.

The part about him is towards the end.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
:laugh:

That was pretty entertaining. I like that guy’s presentation.

And the clip from Jeremy from Geeks + Gamers where he is seemingly owning up to the grift. Where is that from? Is it the correct context? I’ve figured for a while now that it was mostly “fake” outrage because he realized there is a big audience for that stuff, so it would be intersting to know that he actually confirmed that.

The PewDiePie clip though, that’s a bit of a reach. But throwing him in there is probably good for getting the view count up so that’s just good business. G+G, The Qurtering, Tim Pool, they all made dozens of videos about Captain Marvel but I’m guessing based on the clip used in this video that PewDiePie just reviewed the movie once, called Brie Larson unlikable, and that was that.

Overall I liked it. I’ve tried to watch some of those extremely cringey rant videos but it makes me so uncomfortable to listen to a person be that angry for no reason that I can’t get through even a couple minutes. Especially that last chick.....what a freaking psycho.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
:laugh:

That was pretty entertaining. I like that guy’s presentation.

And the clip from Jeremy from Geeks + Gamers where he is seemingly owning up to the grift. Where is that from? Is it the correct context? I’ve figured for a while now that it was mostly “fake” outrage because he realized there is a big audience for that stuff, so it would be intersting to know that he actually confirmed that.

The PewDiePie clip though, that’s a bit of a reach. But throwing him in there is probably good for getting the view count up so that’s just good business. G+G, The Qurtering, Tim Pool, they all made dozens of videos about Captain Marvel but I’m guessing based on the clip used in this video that PewDiePie just reviewed the movie once, called Brie Larson unlikable, and that was that.

Overall I liked it. I’ve tried to watch some of those extremely cringey rant videos but it makes me so uncomfortable to listen to a person be that angry for no reason that I can’t get through even a couple minutes. Especially that last chick.....what a freaking psycho.

That was the girl from Mindless Entertainment but they're in the same network. And the unmentionable stupid Swede has done enough stupid things to deserve shit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was ok. I'd give it around a 7 out of 10 which puts it in the middle.

I thought it was clunky, and while I admire that they tried to switch up the traditional origin story, it ended up pretty muddled.

Brie Larson is great - but we never really get the chance to see her before she became the superhero, like with Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. All we know is that she's a test fighter pilot, and her friend is apparently impressed with her. Flashbacks show the challenges she's overcome, but only in snapshot montage fashion.

The point of showing Tony Stark was to demonstrate how his purpose and direction as Iron Man were fundamentally changed by his experience in captivity. The point of showing Steve Rogers was to show how being Captain America was nothing about the powers and everything about his character.

With Captain Marvel, we only really get to know her as Captain Marvel.

I get that this is a plot device to create ambiguity about her alien status, but it also means that we didn't get to know Carol Danvers very well and it's a bit of a missed opportunity. She definitely has some snarky banter which was well-done but it was relatively infrequent. I think Brie Larson has a lot of talent in being able to convey a personality but I don't think the script really allowed for it as much as I'd like.

It was neat to see Ben Mendelsohn get to have a little fun with a role for a change. I was worried he'd be typecast after the work he did in Rogue One and in Ready Player One. Samuel L. Jackson was entertaining but I'm a little concerned that he's turning into a parody of himself much like Jack Nicholson or Al Pacino where they think going increasingly overboard is the only way to move forward as an actor. Jude Law and Annette Benning did serviceable jobs and collected their paycheques.

Due to the fact that it's a cosmic storyline (e.g. Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy) and not an Earth-based one, it was going to be CGI heavy and unfortunately that can sometimes lead to a bit of effects exhaustion without sufficient downtime in between. They tried to bolt together a few low-intensity scenes in between but in general I found the transitions to be a bit rough and the pacing a bit off.

Everyone involved seemed to adjust to the fact that there are aliens everywhere without a great deal of surprise or awe, which is a bit unnatural because the later Marvel stories (chronologically) make a much bigger deal about these earth-shaking events.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I would consider it an average superhero film.

In my mind, a lot of the mood and enjoyment were created out of nostalgic smirks regarding the 1990s. As a whole, they worked pretty well, even if it's a bit of a cheat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That was the girl from Mindless Entertainment but they're in the same network. And the unmentionable stupid Swede has done enough stupid things to deserve ****.

The funniest thing about PewDiePie is how uninteresting he is and how much the media has turned on him so quickly.

The guy was a featured guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in 2015 and like 6 months later the mainstream media decided he was a full blown Nazi. :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The funniest thing about PewDiePie is how uninteresting he is and how much the media has turned on him so quickly.

The guy was a featured guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in 2015 and like 6 months later the mainstream media decided he was a full blown Nazi. :laugh:

Ugh, I hate that term.

What media doesn't think he is?

He's made some stupid comments and he's been called out on them.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ugh, I hate that term.

What media doesn't think he is?

He's made some stupid comments and he's been called out on them.

Hitler made some stupid comments and he was totally cancelled. Glad he got called out for his off colour jokes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We were talking about Alt-Right youtubers, no?

Was Hitler an alt-right Youtuber?

Are you implying that they are being treated like Hitler?

Or that Hitler was being unfairly judged based on his comments?

Or that people should want to invade a country to put an end to alt-right Youtubers?

It kind of came out of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad