Movies: Captain Marvel

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thought it was good, not great. Random thoughts...

-you have to try really REALLY hard to get even a little upset at any feminist tones in this film. The few that were there were light and they worked well with the movie and the Captain Marvel from the comics

-Brie did a very good job. Had a lot of charm and charisma, made me root for her and the movie

-didn’t see the plot twist coming, I liked it

-Fury was alright. Got a little annoyed with him and the cat love

-felt like Danver’s powers weren’t explained well at all. They were just there and I spent most of the movie unsure of what she could do and/why she could do it. The blast didn’t explain it enough

-liked how they handled her memories being all over the place. Cool stylistically

Overall a middle of the pack marvel movie. Story was fine, bad guys pretty generic, Jude Law was good but didn’t do much. Falls somewhere in the Dr. Strange/Ant Man level.

Most importantly, very excited to see her in Endgame so job well done.

7.5/10

that's what bugged me the most.
way too many questions there and i never felt that they got answered

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They'll probably be explored more in either Endgame or the sequels.

probably. lol. but still. i just feel everyone else got. like. "hey this is me, this is why i am awesome, let's do this."
Carol is "i don't remember, oh i remember, now i am awesome, let's do this" and i'm like. BUT HOW ARE YOU AWESOME THOUGH?!

Reactions: Kurtz

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
probably. lol. but still. i just feel everyone else got. like. "hey this is me, this is why i am awesome, let's do this."
Carol is "i don't remember, oh i remember, now i am awesome, let's do this" and i'm like. BUT HOW ARE YOU AWESOME THOUGH?!

I'm not at all familiar with the character in the comics but just following along the movie I don't think she even knows how she's awesome. A Kree scientist was working a secret project on Earth involving one of the big MCU McGuffins and then there was an explosion and Carol Danvers got bathed in blue energy stuff and now she's awesome.

Pretty common in comics and fairly close to Hulk's origin here, but the point is neither Danvers or Fury have any clue what that experiment or energy was about yet.

Reactions: Pilky01

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

like in any origin story, she and we dont know how powerful she is.

Look at Thor 1. The extent of his powers were invisibility and smacking a robot with a hammer. By Infinity War he's summoning mass lightning blasts and basically traveling around on a personal bifrost.

Scarlet Witch went from some mind tricks and minor telekinesis in Ultron to stopping entire buildings from falling in Civil War

Iron Man went from barely beating another version of his suit to having a full tech arsenal and his suit contained in a medallion

Hell, even in Guardians 1 Starlord goes from a human thief to being able to hold an infinity stone.

long story short, only getting a glimpse of a hero's powers in their origin movie is common enough to be a trope.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I saw it today in a 4D theater and it was an unbelievable experience. I pretty sure the movie was rather good, but I'm also pretty sure my opinion is biased thanks to the 4D aspect. I haven't had that much fun in a long time. It was essentially a 2 hour Disney ride.

This was my first 4D theater experience as it was just put in at my local theater and I wanted to test it out before End Game. I figured the fighter pilot/space aspects of the movie would take full advantage of the 4D features and I couldn't be more impressed. It is 100% worth the extra money and in the future there are definitely going to be certain movies that I'll be willing to spend extra to see in 4D. I really want to pay attention to End Game and I think that since I've had the experience with Captain Marvel, the features will just add to the overall experience.

Before the movie started they have a "preview" short movie that shows off all of the bells and whistles the 4D features bring to the table, and it goes all out. I was in the theater by myself and a couple walked in right at the end of the previews. It is just the three of us in the theater and immediately after the "preview" started the women stood up and said, "Oh no. Hell nah. That's too much, I'm not doing this." The guy stayed in his seat while the woman watched the whole movie from the steps on the side. I can see people getting motion sickness or the seat movement irritating back issues, but I'd still recommend people try to see movies like this in 4D theaters.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
without spoilers, how much will this be required viewing for Endgame, cause im honestly considering skipping it since im pretty bush between now and Engame

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
without spoilers, how much will this be required viewing for Endgame, cause im honestly considering skipping it since im pretty bush between now and Engame

Nothing in it is really a crucial building block for Endgame. If new characters from it end up in Endgame, you may have a "huh?" moment.

catch the end credits scene on Youtube and you should be good for Endgame.

Definitely catch CM on streaming though, still a good movie (think Black Panther)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

You're probably fine. The movie is about the origin of a powerful character. That context may help End Game, but they'll likely give enough exposition to help any viewers that didn't seem or didn't remember Captain Marvel.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I really enjoyed the movie. As mentioned Larson was awesome. The one thing I found kind of meh was Fury and the cat interaction but otherwise it was a pretty well done I thought. Excited to see her in Endgame.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
When I say "Woke Twitter" I am largely referring to the Moviebob, Arthur Chu, Nberlat, Film Crit Hulk, Peter Norway kind of weirdos who are constantly RT'ing each other (which is actually not true, none of the people Moviebob idolizes ever RT or interact with him). Basically the crowd that the old Politics board users would like share and subscribe to ad infinitum.
As an old HFPol user, I've heard of none of those guys, but good try!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think that's kinda the point. She doesn't really remember it well.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think that's kinda the point. She doesn't really remember it well.

I haven’t seen the movie and maybe this has been pointed out already, but this is consistent with the character’s origin in the comics. Carol Danvers blacks out, and Ms Marvel (as she was called then) appears. The two identities have no knowlege of each other in the beginning.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I haven’t seen the movie and maybe this has been pointed out already, but this is consistent with the character’s origin in the comics. Carol Danvers blacks out, and Ms Marvel (as she was called then) appears. The two identities have no knowlege of each other in the beginning.

I don't quite agree with the criticism either but what people are saying is the audience doesn't really know what her powers are and why she can do what she does. Like Captain America got dosed with a super soldier serum, Thor isn't really explained other than he's the god of Thunder so the familiarity is there, Dr. Strange is a wizard, Spiderman got bit by a radioactive spider, etc etc.

I would suspect Marvel is taking a different and more ambiguous approach with CM and will hash this stuff out in CM2. But for the time being for those who like picking at the details but aren't familiar with the comics she's by far the most vague MCU Avenger right now. The 'origin' movie was probably more for Carol Danvers and the MCU than it was for 'Captain Marvel'.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don't quite agree with the criticism either but what people are saying is the audience doesn't really know what her powers are and why she can do what she does. Like Captain America got dosed with a super soldier serum, Thor isn't really explained other than he's the god of Thunder so the familiarity is there, Dr. Strange is a wizard, Spiderman got bit by a radioactive spider, etc etc.

I would suspect Marvel is taking a different and more ambiguous approach with CM and will hash this stuff out in CM2. But for the time being for those who like picking at the details but aren't familiar with the comics she's by far the most vague MCU Avenger right now. The 'origin' movie was probably more for Carol Danvers and the MCU than it was for 'Captain Marvel'.

Interesting, and consistent with the comics. I just went back and read her origin, and in fact the reader doesn’t actually know until her third issue that Carol Danvers and Ms Marvel are the same person (although it’s pretty obvious) and Ms Marvel doesn’t know who she is or how she got her powers.

View media item 4381

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->