Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A+ deal for the Caps. Kind of surprised Dowd went for it but eh $2.25M is a nice safety net.

I think we are regularly surprised at how often players sign salary cap friendly deals. Might be that Connolly can get 5x5 on the open market. Might, however, be that he wants to work for the Capitals where he has found a career. If he does he will have to be wiling to work for what the Caps can fit. The Caps didn't offer JDub a contract. I am fairly sure he wanted to stay. If the Caps approach Connolly with a desire to resign I think its reasonable that he might sign for a number that works

Jun 15, 2007
The Capitals now have just three pending unrestricted free agents on its roster: forwards Carl Hagelin and Brett Connolly and defenseman Brooks Orpik. While this is expected to be Orpik’s final season with the team — he’s 38 years old and has acknowledged that he’s “year to year” at this stage in his career — Washington is believed to have interest in re-signing both Connolly and Hagelin, although they may not be able to afford both. Connolly had a career season with 22 goals, while Hagelin, a trade-deadline addition, has proven to be an excellent fit in a short period of time — versatile, speedy and already the team’s top penalty killer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...on-deal/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bf5105a8b36d

To me the obvious and optimal solution is to let Orpik and Connolly walk and offer a Hagelin a 2x2.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A+ deal for the Caps. Kind of surprised Dowd went for it but eh $2.25M is a nice safety net.

Dude was a healthy scratch for enough games this year (only played 64 games) that he saw how fickle an NHL career can be. Took the job security, the surroundings with a chance to win a Cup, his best buddy Nick Jensen also locked up, and he probably signed that before it finished coming out of the printer.

So, its not that often that a contract gets done and both sides walk away grinning like they stole something. Happy for both sides here.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Dude was a healthy scratch for enough games this year (only played 64 games) that he saw how fickle an NHL career can be. Took the job security, the surroundings with a chance to win a Cup, his best buddy Nick Jensen also locked up, and he probably signed that before it finished coming out of the printer.

So, its not that often that a contract gets done and both sides walk away grinning like they stole something. Happy for both sides here.

I think you are right that he saw BFF Jensen locked up here for a few more years and just said f*** it

Jun 15, 2007
Right, but you said losing Conno would be optimal. Caps do not appear to share that view.

It would be optimal because I think he would get overpaid massively in UFA. Better to walk from a 5x5 than match.

If he wants to stay for a 3x3, sure.

Jun 15, 2007
So then the optimal outcome is Conno at 3x3.

The optimal outcome is Connolly for 5x650k, Karlsson 7x650k and Panarin 7x650k.

The optimal and obvious (as in probable) outcome is we walk away from Connolly who will probably be overpaid by some GM desperate for secondary scoring.

Reactions: um

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Bingo. Dude was barely holding onto a job. This is security in a great situation. Win/win

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Strongly agree!! It doesn't matter a whiff the Caps had rough years (that's on the NHL for setting them up to fail with the poor Expansion Draft) - in fact the simple reality the Caps survived means that original design should be embraced with the highest level of pride (are you listening Ted?).

Many Original Six teams had very bad years and never abandoned their heritage for some focused-grouped design.

Tradition is very important in hockey - wearing the classics like many teams do keeps that lineage (Flyers and Islanders get that very well, and Blues are close - Kings and Canucks need to get it and go back to their original too).

We can have the thirds for the creative ones (rotate the Stadium Series, the current, the screaming eagle, and even new designs!). You do realize that the original home white "with too many stars" is based off Montreal's classic white? Very close, and the red is the inverse.

I will also add, in case Ted is listening, they need to do the throwbacks correctly - they should have the logo letters individual larger and sewn on directly. Also, they need to tweak the yoke on the Adidas template - its too wide. The Adidas template was altered for the Flyers shoulder/arm stripe, which is properly narrow. Can be done with the Caps - don't cheap out - do it right!!

The League or Adidas wanted the Blackhawks to use a twill crest instead of the more costly and labour intensive chain-stiches classic with the change to Adidas to save cost. The Hawks said no, do it right. Caps should too.

Give McPhee credit for at least talking Leonsis out of those damn black uniforms and back to the red. The throwbacks will be there a long while

Jun 15, 2007
I don't understand the four call up rule at all.

Lewington, Siegenthaler, Walker, Samsonov, Vanecek.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not sure what they're doing with the two net-minders? I thought they just wanted Samsonov to get some work with the coaching staff until their own playoffs start but maybe now they want to do the same with Vaneck? Just odd to see them yo-yoing the two.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm not sure what they're doing with the two net-minders? I thought they just wanted Samsonov to get some work with the coaching staff until their own playoffs start but maybe now they want to do the same with Vaneck? Just odd to see them yo-yoing the two.

Think they're probably wanting Samsonov to start the playoffs for Hershey since he's imo been the better of the two this year...vitek was certainly the front runner in the beginning of the year but that's changed as Sammy had adjusted to the North American game.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Says the guys who’s making fun of the board’s propensity for whipping boys in the series thread. :facepalm:
Copley has zero resume to stand on, he has good statistics that largely benefit from him getting to be the back end of a Vezina G who take all of the #1 teams and a defense that won a SC last season.

Djoos played 63 games last season, and 22 in the playoffs. He suffered an injury earlier this year that claims most careers, and he has extensive game tape that demonstrates higher level skill. People are trying to sell the guy down the river when LITERALLY 4 months ago he was sitting in a hospital bed with his leg at risk for amputation.

Copley has never put together remotely the level of tape Djoos has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad