Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
The staff clearly sees a lot of potential in him. His name is on the Stanley Cup and we’ve got posters insinuating that he’s not NHL or AHL level.

I get where you're coming from and I like him too, but you're skipping a lot of context.

Djoos was clearly our 6D -- the best we had for that spot -- when what we needed was someone to play 3RD with Orpik. Playing sheltered minutes on his weak side pretty much strangled his strengths. It was 100% a lesser of evils situation. He wasn't an ideal fit; he was just the best we had in a pinch.

Kinda like a donut spare when you have a flat -- fine for as long as you absolutely need it, but don't push it. He held up admirably under those circumstances.

In a world where your RD spots are filled more ideally with Jensen in the mix, Djoos is just another depth LD. With our starting 6 healthy, there's no question he's our 7D -- a good insurance guy should you need that donut spare.

But let's be real, Djoos' current standing as a full-time NHL prospect is situational at best. His lack of size, physicality, and straight defensive prowess are glaring issues. He gets out-muscled by everyone, always. He knows this and works to minimize it, but gets exposed pretty routinely. Despite having valuable NHL experience, most of it is on his weak side. He hasn't had a chance to develop his game on the left, and a potential pairing with Jensen, on paper, isn't one you'd want to count on to eat minutes.

Right now he's a defender that needs sheltering and situational deployments. Probably more likely to lose you a game than win you one.

Hive's right. More time on his strong side where he can get back to the things that make him special -- he has some truly next-level abilities that're almost entirely stifled playing on the right -- maybe he makes it and can become more of an all-situations guy. But we have some serious LD talent in the pipe, too. Some may not have his skill, but none are hampered by his natural limitations.

Not sure why trading him is worth discussing. He likely wouldn't fetch much in return, and he's a no-brainer, low-cost 7D the way Chorney was. If someone keen to make him a starter offers us something worthy of a starting D, sure, I'd trade him.

The bigger issue is how likely he'd be to earn 3LD when Orpik walks. I think the smart money is on someone else. Maybe he gets it for next year if he has any chemistry with Jensen, but others in the system figure to be better fits. Your mileage may vary.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Priske will need a season in the minors or a full 82 to be ready for the NHL playoffs I'm sure. I guess it depends on where he signs.

I'm going out on a limp Edmonton will try to sign him like they did Schultz seasons ago. The cap situation and the location might deter him though. He would certainly get a chance right away. I hope he goes West.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hard to say who ends up falling. For now I have tier separations at 11 and 19 and would expect Leason & Poulin to be off the board among those after that second group. I'd mostly narrow it down to Dorofeyev, Tracey, Afanasyev or Tomasino among forwards whether it's at 25 or thereafter. Kolyachonok is a lefty defenseman I quite like if they weren't already so stacked at the position. Suzuki, Brink, McMichael or Thomson I also have as fringe first rounders. Nikolayev is another that could work himself more strongly into consideration depending in part on how he finishes the U18s. So someone from those groups I'd think, though that's a bit of a wide net. I have it really opening up around 35 for the remainder of the second round so who knows. It's certainly possible they could key in on someone else I have further back at the moment. Or, if teams were to follow the recent trend of not taking a goaltender in the first round, I think they'd definitely have to consider Knight if they're still following their Samsonov principles.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out that Kempny probably shouldn't break the Canes top 4. I'd take Dougie, Faulk, Slavin, and Pesce over him and I doubt there'd be much argument. I'd also personally take Fluery over him, but I bet I'd get some push back on them.

That isn't a bad defense by any means, I'd say it's really good actually. The real issue with them is more forwards then anything. I know Aho and Teravainen both had good years but I think you could make arguments they'd be 4th or 5th on our team, depending on if you think they could replicate the same point totals and play with lesser minutes and almost zero power play time.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Slavin and Hamilton really showing it in G5. Slavin out there for 5 goals against and he cost them the 1st goal. Hamilton donated us the 3rd goal and his lumberjack slashes gave us another goal in that Dowd PS.

Fleury is better than Kempny? The guy who gets to sit for Trevor van Riemsdyk and Calvin de Haan? :laugh:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Slavin and Hamilton really showing it in G5. Slavin out there for 5 goals against and he cost them the 1st goal. Hamilton donated us the 3rd goal and his lumberjack slashes gave us another goal in that Dowd PS.

Fleury is better than Kempny? The guy who gets to sit for Trevor van Riemsdyk and Calvin de Haan? :laugh:

We sat Nate Schmidt for Alzner and Orpik, and arguably Shattenkirk for awhile.

Just cause they aren't playing doesn't mean they suck. Coaches can make bad line decisions, ala Reirden and his Carlson LD fascination.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We sat Nate Schmidt for Alzner and Orpik, and arguably Shattenkirk for awhile.

Just cause they aren't playing doesn't mean they suck. Coaches can make bad line decisions, ala Reirden and his Carlson LD fascination.

What exactly did Fleury show you in the games he played that he's better than Kempny who was our 2nd best D this season?

I saw absolutely nothing to suggest to that. Maybe you forgot already how good Kempny actually has been since coming here if you think Fleury is even close to his level.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
What exactly did Fleury show you in the games he played that he's better than Kempny who was our 2nd best D this season?

I saw absolutely nothing to suggest to that. Maybe you forgot already how good Kempny actually has been since coming here if you think Fleury is even close to his level.

I just genuinely think Kempny has just been a very good compliment to Carlson, but has mostly been a passenger that let's John Carlson be one of the absolute best defensemen in the league. That's insanely valuable but that doesn't make him a better player suddenly because of it (we've all seen how long it's taken to find a competent wing for Ovechkin after Knuble). I think most other players, and the stats seem to bear this out, preformed better without Kempny then they did with him.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I just genuinely think Kempny has just been a very good compliment to Carlson, but has mostly been a passenger that let's John Carlson be one of the absolute best defensemen in the league. That's insanely valuable but that doesn't make him a better player suddenly because of it (we've all seen how long it's taken to find a competent wing for Ovechkin after Knuble). I think most other players, and the stats seem to bear this out, preformed better without Kempny then they did with him.

What stats?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

There's no world where Hadyn Fleury is a better player than Michal Kempny. Kempny does pretty much everything better than Fleury except Kempny takes more penalties than Fleury. And I wouldn't take Faulk over Kempny either. Faulk is a poor man's Shattenkirk and his best days are behind him.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Maybe I'm still just mad about game 7. But I'm fine if we move on from Holtby. He has a big cap hit and is just an average goalie at this point.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Maybe I'm still just mad about game 7. But I'm fine if we move on from Holtby. He has a big cap hit and is just an average goalie at this point.

My Dad and I were talking about this too

Holtby can have great stretches but then there are too many times where he lets in so many soft goals, literal anti clutch

He makes a lot but we have no one to replace him, yet. Wait until that is

People who think are gone are:

DSP
Connolly
Orpik

Resign:

Hags for a good price

Possibly move if you can:

Bura

Jun 15, 2007
Still need Samsonov to serve as backup for a year first. I think Holtby's contract might be expiring at just the right time.

We obviously don't need to rebuild but we could stand to lose some declining guys and insert some hungry young guys.

Niskanen for a young forward. On the Leafs maybe?

Oshie: Too injury prone. I know, his latest injury prone was more of a freak thing. But honestly there's been like...5 times this season he left the game due to injury.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'd really like to keep Conno. Good depth goal scoring is so important, and he's still improving.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Let walk:
DSP
Connolly (he'll be too much $)

Re-sign if affordable:
Hagelin
Burakovsky
Orpik

Let play out next season and make a decision at the TDL:
Holtby
Niskanen

No big trades this off season unless something falls into our lap. The team is good, it doesn't need much overhauling, very few teams are going to go far in the playoffs after losing a top 6 forward and top 4 d-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->