Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Boyd is too easy to push around in board battles. While he's a talented playmaker, no one can take it away from him, he seems to lose his balance and end up either on his butt or just losing the puck more often than not. He needs to add weight, something in 190-195 lbs range to contain the pressure of more physically gifted opponents. Playing on the 4th line requires a certain level of physical game. If Burakovsky wasnt as good on boards as he was lately, that line would suck because Boyd is awful at it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not a fan of Boyd on 4. But it all comes down to what Todd wants on 4 - I want blood!

If he wants skill vs board battles / energy line, Travis Boyd is the man for his plan. Me, I would rather he just be a 13 backup for our top 6. Jaskin has evolved to perma scratch, DSP is in Hershey, so its Boyd or bust.

Reactions: racingmoose

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
If Ovechkin left the NHL while still being good enough to potentially break the goal record, I don't know what I would do with myself.

If he stays and plays until he's like 40 and ends up with like 800 goals, that's fine. He gave it a shot. But leaving the league in two years if he's still a 40-50 goal scorer... the 'what if' would be too much for me.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Hey gang. Jerk coming in peace, working on a trade value project. How would you all rank the Capitals by trade value (the top 7-10 or so)? Think of it this way, pick two guys and say "if I could only have one of these two guys, who would I take?" Start at the bottom and go up the list like that. Age, contract and performance all count. I'd probably rank your guys like this, but please let me know where I'm wrong and who I forgot. I'm trying to keep this to NHL players, so avoid guys with fewer than 40 games in the league. Thanks!

Alex Ovechkin, 33, $9.538m, 2021
Evgeny Kuznetsov, 26, $7.8m, 2025

John Carlson, 29, $8m, 2026
Braden Holtby, 29, $6.1m, 2020
Nicklas Backstrom, 31, $6.7m, 2020
Tom Wilson, 24, $5.167m, 2024
Jakub Vrana, 23, $863k, 2019
Dimitry Orlov, 27, $5.1m, 2023

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Hey gang. Jerk coming in peace, working on a trade value project. How would you all rank the Capitals by trade value (the top 7-10 or so)? Think of it this way, pick two guys and say "if I could only have one of these two guys, who would I take?" Start at the bottom and go up the list like that. Age, contract and performance all count. I'd probably rank your guys like this, but please let me know where I'm wrong and who I forgot. I'm trying to keep this to NHL players, so avoid guys with fewer than 40 games in the league. Thanks!

Seems you're missing Oshie. Some on this board would like him traded tomorrow, but he's one of the straws that stirs the drink for the Caps. I'd probably rank him above Vrana and Orlov at this point.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Seems you're missing Oshie. Some on this board would like him traded tomorrow, but he's one of the straws that stirs the drink for the Caps. I'd probably rank him above Vrana and Orlov at this point.

So, if you had to choose between a 23-year-old Vrana coming off his ELC or a 32-year-old Oshie making $5.75 million until the sun burns out, you'd take Oshie?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Right now? When we're playing for second championship. YA. Vrana's great. And the Caps are likely gonna back up the Brinks truck for him this offseason, but Oshie is a leader of this pack.

I'm trying to take team specifics and "untouchable-ness" out of it and just rank players by trade value. Obviously, you guys wouldn't trade Ovechkin for anyone. You want him to break all the records in Washington. You want him to win another title (or two). But there are a lot of guys more valuable, like McDavid, Kucherov, Pettersson, Mackinnon, etc.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I'm trying to take team specifics and "untouchable-ness" out of it and just rank players by trade value. Obviously, you guys wouldn't trade Ovechkin for anyone. You want him to break all the records in Washington. You want him to win another title (or two). But there are a lot of guys more valuable, like McDavid, Kucherov, Pettersson, Mackinnon, etc.

Thats true. For other teams Kuznetsov probably has more value than Ovechkin because of age. A 1C on an amazing contract that really steps up in the playoffs.

Reactions: My Special Purpose

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Carlson
Wilson
Backstrom
Vrana
Holtby
Kempny/Orlov/Oshie/Jensen

Reactions: My Special Purpose

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
In terms of trade value, for me it depends on if you're including the rest of this year+playoffs, or starting clean for 19-20. If we're including this year, I rank Ovechkin first, otherwise he goes to third. I'd rather have 6 years of prime Kuznetsov (27-32) or 7 years of Carlson (29-36) over just Ovechkin's age-34 and age-35 seasons. After that, Vrana has 5 RFA years and Wilson 5 actual years, think I'd take the cost certainty over the mystery box that is Vrana's next contract. Then, you have both Holtby and Backstrom on 1 year deals, and would still have more trade value than 4 years of Orlov or 6 years of Oshie.

So for me (for 19-20 and on)
1) Kuznetsov
2) Carlson
3) Ovechkin
4) Wilson
5) Backstrom
6) Holtby
7) Vrana
8) Orlov
9) Oshie

Edit: I thought about it for a bit more, and decided that Vrana's potential is up there, but he hasn't done enough to jump Backstrom+Holtby, nor does he have the cost-certainty that Wilson does.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You want to take away the value of their intangibles but still count contract value and term? What about impact to the business side of it? Trading for Ovechkin today would be an event like trading for Gretzky in the media and in the box office for whatever team got him.

Trying to understand the parameters you're weighing this by. Purely production/age/contract?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
You want to take away the value of their intangibles but still count contract value and term? What about impact to the business side of it? Trading for Ovechkin today would be an event like trading for Gretzky in the media and in the box office for whatever team got him.

Trying to understand the parameters you're weighing this by. Purely production/age/contract?

Yeah, try to leave the ticket and jersey sales out of it. Trying to focus on "on the ice" value. For example, the Caps wouldn't trade Ovechkin for David Pastrnak for the reasons stated above. But "on the ice," that's probably a good deal for Washington. Pasternak, at age 22, signed at $6.66m through 2023 is more "valuable" than a 33-year-old Ovechkin making $9.5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad