Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Much more assertive game for Nashville, their best of the series.

Liked the Canucks game for 50 mins, last 5-10 I thought they sat back too much, but ultimately survived & it was a good special teams night.

Nashville came out strong & pushed hard at the end, real nice goal by Evangelista (he's a talented player), no game is going to be easy in this series - as we've seen so far. Looking forward to Sunday. Massive swing in the series coming up either way.

Reactions: nucks88

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy hell, the fans of these teams...you know you lot can shoot more than 20 shots a game. You know that right?

Both of these teams are so bad and are trying to counterattack the defensive scheme with an even greater defensive scheme by the other team. Brutal, this series has been worse than a regular season game. I don't know how anybody can defend this?

Better team won.
Better at what? Taking bear tranquillizers? Being in a Xanax pill-taking competition? Your team looks like its skating in mud fam, which ain't better than the tar pit on the other side.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Holy hell, the fans of these teams...you know you lot can shoot more than 20 shots a game. You know that right?

Both of these teams are so bad and are trying to counterattack the defensive scheme with an even greater defensive scheme by the other team. Brutal, this series has been worse than a regular season game. I don't know how anybody can defend this?

Better at what? Taking bear tranquillizers? Being in a Xanax pill-taking competition? Your team looks like its skating in mud fam, which ain't better than the tar pit on the other side.
It’s called playoff hockey u little rat

rea

Feb 8, 2011

Def agree. Think it's a bit surprising given how van played the year, and how the preds finished. Was expecting alot more in terms of back n forth, north south attacks. As a fan of one of the teams I will always be interested, but from the standpoint of outside the 2 fan bases viewing it, I can see how this wouldn't be at the top of my list in watchability

Reactions: Summer Rose

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Def agree. Think it's a bit surprising given how van played the year, and how the preds finished. Was expecting alot more in terms of back n forth, north south attacks. As a fan of one of the teams I will always be interested, but from the standpoint of outside the 2 fan bases viewing it, I can see how this wouldn't be at the top of my list in watchability
That's what I don't get, Canucks were offensive all season even though Tocchet is notorious for being a defensive coach, the team is built to play offence. While Brunette, again, is an offensively-minded coach and Predators like the heavy forecheque and make chaos in the offensive zone. I had NYR/Caps as the worst series due to how wide of a difference these teams are, but this one has been as low-event hockey as you can possibly play.

Reactions: rea and Summer Rose

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
That's what I don't get, Canucks were offensive all season even though Tocchet is notorious for being a defensive coach, the team is built to play offence. While Brunette, again, is an offensively-minded coach and Predators like the heavy forecheque and make chaos in the offensive zone. I had NYR/Caps as the worst series due to how wide of a difference these teams would be, but this one has been as low-event hockey as you can possibly play.

A lot of the Canucks forwards had extremely high shooting percentages, generally the Canucks have been a defensive juggernaut all season, their PDO and related stats were affected because they won a lot of blowouts early.

They play like the Trotz era Predators but with the skill at C that those teams always lacked. Large, mobile defensemen, an elite goalie, and a lot of depth at FWD but with two 100pt C's and a 40g W.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
This series is a physical defensive battle. Nucks lost their star goalie to injury and need to lock things down in order to increase their odds of winning. Preds don't want to run and gun against a potent offense.

Defense wins championships. Whining about it does nobody any good. You don't like it, then don't watch it.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
That's what I don't get, Canucks were offensive all season even though Tocchet is notorious for being a defensive coach, the team is built to play offence. While Brunette, again, is an offensively-minded coach and Predators like the heavy forecheque and make chaos in the offensive zone. I had NYR/Caps as the worst series due to how wide of a difference these teams are, but this one has been as low-event hockey as you can possibly play.

My best guess is the style of play on vans side has changed due to injuries. No, not an excuse for poor play, but having to cover up deficiencies if say one player can't put full power behind a shot, lower body injuries hurting speed, so certain coverages have to be made to account.

Even in a game like today, In the regular season, there's no way chaos giraffe Myers and zadorov are leading in toi, no matter how well they're playing, nor is lindholm up a full 2m on the next closest canuck in Miller. Whether there is a rumored flu going ard sapping energy, or just the aches n pains of playing hard forecheck hockey is finally getting the better of their bodies, it does seem strange that their system has changed.

On the preds side, I won't act as if I know their team well, best guess would on them is they feel playing against a deeper offensive team warrants collapsing in the dzone keeping as much of it to the outside will blocking up the slot and countering.

Having said all that, I'm happy for my team to be in the playoffs, I won't apologize for their play if it leads to wins, and it's exciting as f*** for me haha

but I will sell a buyers beware on others viewing. I had this series also as one of the more physical ones, yet based on the scoreboard of other series, they are all trouncing this one in total hits. Could just tighter stat keeping here, but i believe these 2 teams were in the top of league in hits and both have alot of hitters so 🤷

rea

Feb 8, 2011
This series is a physical defensive battle. Nucks lost their star goalie to injury and need to lock things down in order to increase their odds of winning. Preds don't want to run and gun against a potent offense.

Defense wins championships. Whining about it does nobody any good. You don't like it, then don't watch it.

Not sure whose whining, but it is fair to point out that obviously other fan bases trying to tune in ard the league, wouldn't put this up there as super exciting.

I could but won't go pull up how alot of canucks fans felt the kings played them during the regular season and how boring it was or unwatchable it was too. It's so much easier to ingest when it's your team doing it though, and winning lol.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Score first, win game. Preds don't have the horses for a comeback if you make them have to push. More surprised that Vancouver's offense has continued to be so anemic.

After watching game 2, I'd give more credit to the Predators' defensive capability than I'd blame Vancouver's offense for being anemic.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
After watching game 2, I'd give more credit to the Predators' defensive capability than I'd blame Vancouver's offense for being anemic.
Canucks have the lowest expected goals in the playoffs (outside of Dallas/Vegas who have only played 2 games). And that's with Nashville turtling for most of the first 2 games and letting the Canucks fire away.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Canucks have the lowest expected goals in the playoffs (outside of Dallas/Vegas who have only played 2 games). And that's with Nashville turtling for most of the first 2 games and letting the Canucks fire away.
Show the stats.

Show your math.

Media post game reporting high danger chances in Canucks favor.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Show the stats.

Show your math.

Media post game reporting high danger chances in Canucks favor.
Expected goals are 7.53 to 7.27 in favor of Nashville (actual goals are 7-7 so basically spot on), which looks like it's good for 2nd last and last in the playoffs (again outside of Vegas/Dallas, who are both around 5 point something after 2 games).

HDCF are 30-29 for Nashville, don't know where that ranks but for comparison Washington currently has 34. Isles probably the lowest at 27. Oilers I'm guessing the highest at 56, which is 3 shy of this entire series so far.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You do realize 3 of 4 goals scored by the Preds in the last game were scored by " not much else "?
Goals 1 and 3 were terrible goals and my point was that having 3 top six Centres on their own line isn't as much of a need against Nashville and I stand by that. Blueger, Joshua and Garland has been great all year and by putting Lindholm in the top six gives EP another good player to play with.

No Demko = no wins. Preds already took one with no Demko and will take the next three.
This aged well.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
DeSmith was great tonight. He is such a odd goalie, sometimes he is lights out. Other times he stinks.
Casey does have his great moments when focused, it's when he goes into "DeSpazz" mode and starts sliding around playing the position like:
despazz.png

The main thing keeping him from being a legit starter, but Vancouver should have enough firepower and defensive protection to pull through with him in net this series.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

You have over 30k posts and understand hockey this poorly?

God, I hate would hate to see your initial level of understanding when you try your hand at something new.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
It is true that the two teams are trying to outplay each other defensively. I’ve never seen a series with less time and space.
This series is crazy.... 12 shots on goal dont win you a game very often... But here we are....

Hoping that the floodgates are about to open in this one....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I think you lot have been out of the playoffs for far too long. This Canucks team won't come close to beating the VGK, Avs, or Oilers playing like this. Real overvaluation of your defensive core or overall team defence.

Reactions: soothsayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad