Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It depends upon what they let Hutton go for. If he gets in the 3m range on the open market, then I would be surprised they chose the route they did.

Last season by all accounts (I wasn't really watching or paying much attention) Hutton did well away from Gudbranson and with an increased role with Edler out.

So by itself this is a solid signing and contract for Benn but the above is what worries me here. Our #1LD is often on the IR and our #2LD though extremely talented is an undersized 20 year old rookie. This seems like a recipe where rather than having a firm veteran #6 D you want one a bit younger who can step up in the lineup.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
a full season of an improved hughes /stecher, and addition of a top4 D and really solid bottom pairing guy will help us. our top6 is better with miller and improved Bo petey and boeser... we make the playoffs and lose rnd 1 is my guess

Which team's spot do we take to make the Playoffs, though?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had, as stated by some, a solid year in Montreal last year and he seems good value. Player that needs to keep it simple. Hard nose player that is very responsible defensively

Would love this to be a precursor to getting his brother but that's likely wishful thinking. But Jamie has talked about the desire to play with the Canucks and his brother. I just can't conceive of a deal we could make to achieve this.

You’ve seen Jamie Benn’s contract, right?

Taking Jamie Benn off waivers for free would be a fireable offence for a GM.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
At least it was only 2 years, but really an unnecessary signing. He's a replacement level player (actually slightly sub-replacement level over the last 3 years). Simply signing Luke Schenn for $700k would have made a lot more sense.

I think they wanted Schenn back but he wanted to go elsewhere????

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Good signing.We needed another shutdown/PK guy to shoulder some of the load away from Tanev and Edler and Benn is ideal for that and brings some grit as well.Term and dollars are fine.

This is the type of signing we should have been making 4 years ago instead of trading valuable assets for the likes of Sbisa and RealGud.

Reactions: Hit the post

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder at the number of sub-3 year, sub-$3M deals that even have movement clauses. This has got to be like the only one.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
My preferred pairings:

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Myers

PP1 Hughes, PP2 Myers, save Edler for heavy ES and PK duty.

I like the Benn signing; fits needs and budget. Do not agree at all with a lot of what's written about Luke Schenn; he is strictly a 7/8/9 and I much prefer Biega as the fourth option at RD.

They're going to pair Myers with Quinn Hughes, I predict. They'll want a smaller guy to have a bigger physical body to pair with.

Benn will slot in with Tanev. I like this pick-up. He grew up cheering for the Canucks. He's come home.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
This is not that bad of a signing, cap and length are good, good 3rd pairing D and can play rd as well so some insurance if Tanev gets injured. Yes the Limited trade clause may seem odd but until we know what the limited part of it is, it really isn't a big deal. Overall very pleased with this one.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Solid deal, solid vet, will help Hughes acclimate if they are paired together at the start.
He's a left D. He's not getting paired with Hughes unless Benning is planning on running two lefties as a pair and two righties as a pair or most of the defense is out injured.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
He's a left D. He's not getting paired with Hughes unless Benning is planning on running two lefties as a pair and two righties as a pair or most of the defense is out injured.
Nah, heard an interview where he said he's played LD and RD his entire career and he's comfortable with both. Unless the player himself is lying, I'd say he'd comfortable with both.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is not that bad of a signing, cap and length are good, good 3rd pairing D and can play rd as well so some insurance if Tanev gets injured. Yes the Limited trade clause may seem odd but until we know what the limited part of it is, it really isn't a big deal. Overall very pleased with this one.
I'm not that worried about it either, it is probably something like 5-10 teams he can veto. It'd be stupid if he could veto 15 or 20 but I can't see it being that high.

$2m x 2. Not horrible, but Benn's not top 4 capable for any extended period of time so we need Edler and Hughes to stay healthy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Nah, heard an interview where he said he's played LD and RD his entire career and he's comfortable with both. Unless the player himself is lying, I'd say he'd comfortable with both.
RHD Tanev Myers Stecher. Green is not moving one to the left side.

LHD: Edler Hughes Benn. That's a lock barring injury or a prospect blowing everyone away at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad