Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not a world beater but a good signing. No need for the “limited no trade” or whatever it’s called for a 3rd pairing Dman tho.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What ever happened to his limited NTC? Capfriendly isn't shown one.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
We have to be on top, we check so many boxes:
- high cost of living
- high tax bracket
- no cup aspirations

Our provincial income taxes are not overly high. The best city in one of the best countries to live in the world. The only negative is we are whiny lot who do not realize what we have, but hockey players are not exposed too much to that.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Our provincial income taxes are not overly high. The best city in one of the best countries to live in the world. The only negative is we are whiny lot who do not realize what we have, but hockey players are not exposed too much to that.

Probably high relative to a lot of US markets, though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't want to criticize any players after a good win, but is it me or Benn hasn't been good? He's been the worst D by far in my eyes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't want to criticize any players after a good win, but is it me or Benn hasn't been good? He's been the worst D by far in my eyes.

No argument there. Skating hasn't looked good right from the start of preseason and is handling the puck like a grenade. Looks like a very mediocre #6-7 guy and a downgrade on both Biega and Hutton. Risk on a role player his age is that their skating can crater in a hurry, especially when they weren't that fast to begin with.

The other 5 guys are all playing really well to start the year.

Reactions: mathonwy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
No argument there. Skating hasn't looked good right from the start of preseason and is handling the puck like a grenade. Looks like a very mediocre #6-7 guy and a downgrade on both Biega and Hutton. Risk on a role player his age is that their skating can crater in a hurry, especially when they weren't that fast to begin with.

The other 5 guys are all playing really well to start the year.

I'll try to pay more attention to Benn the next few games but I thought he was pretty good last night. I distinctly remember a couple of crisp break-out passes from him and he seemed to win all his battles in the corners.

You are right though the other 5 have been noticeably better generally.

Reactions: DL44

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Having Benn has allowed Tanev and others to play a more offensive role on the team by just pushing guys and roles up the lineup.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

he's definitely showing no signs of deserving more ice time, but he's been competent as a role playing depth dman. not good but not bad and no glaring weaknesses yet. if he manages that all season i'd be very happy.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's doing his job.
He's playing like you would expect him to.
As advertised.
He's our 6th best dman.

Despite what MS will have you believe, he's a definite upgrade on Biega in our own corners and zone..
Much better PKer as well.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Despite what dl44 will have you believe, Biega @ 850k >> Benn @ 2M

despite what ms, vanilla coke and dl44 would have you believe, biega and benn play opposite sides of the ice and biega is not an option to replace benn or vice versa. you may as well be comparing benn to a forward in terms of how their relative play impacts on team decision making.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
despite what ms, vanilla coke and dl44 would have you believe, biega and benn play opposite sides of the ice and biega is not an option to replace benn or vice versa. you may as well be comparing benn to a forward in terms of how their relative play impacts on team decision making.
A Benn-Biega pairing you say????

But yeah... Benn replaced Hutton.. Biega was replaced by... no one yet cuz we've been healthy... probably Sautner or Rafferty.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Having Benn has allowed Tanev and others to play a more offensive role on the team by just pushing guys and roles up the lineup.

Benn is getting 64% o-zone starts and Quinn Hughes is getting 32%.

The reverse is actually happening - because Green doesn't trust his 3rd pairing, Hughes is actually being played away from his strengths in tough defensive minutes.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Benn is getting 64% o-zone starts and Quinn Hughes is getting 32%.

The reverse is actually happening - because Green doesn't trust his 3rd pairing, Hughes is actually being played away from his strengths in tough defensive minutes.
Then you look at actual zone starts.
Not %.
The more meaningful number is the raw starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad