Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I would have been ok with 2 years @ $2.5m, so this is better than expected. Can't really complain too much about either ufa dmen signing today, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Look at the usage of both players last season. Easier to look good when you’re on the 3rd pairing. Not saying Hutton is a legit top 4 guy, but tell me how good a 30+ year old Benn is going to look playing top pairing minutes on a team. Especially factoring in travel schedules each team has.

IMHO, he’s more of a Schenn replacement. Better but you could’ve had a cheaper player & maybe shorter term in Schenn; plus we already know Schenn fits in well with the club (particularly Hughes).
Why would Benn be playing in top pair? Though if healthy not sure which pair is top pair as there are 3 useful pairs.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like this one.
Overall though our defence is held together by duct tape with Edler and Tanevs injury history.
But if there are no long term injuries we’ve definitely improved.
At some point though they need to address the age of this group with really only Hughes and Stecher and not a ton in the pipeline. Tryamkin coming over and Juolevi unexpectedly taking a step this year would be a huge plus. We still need to find some young guys though. Maybe an undrafted college guy plus Woo.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why would Benn be playing in top pair? Though if healthy not sure which pair is top pair as there are 3 useful pairs.
I was responding clearly to how each player was used last season. Of course two guys of limited ability are going to look different in terms of effectiveness if one was used as a top pairing guy while the other was used as a third pairing guy. Please....Benn in the top pairing? :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can make that same statement last season (if there were no long term injuries, the D would’ve looked vastly improved)
I think it’s improved over last year even if they’re all healthy both years.
The cost for Myers is way too high but he’s an upgrade on what we had and produces more offense than our defenders except maybe Edler.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
At least it was only 2 years, but really an unnecessary signing. He's a replacement level player (actually slightly sub-replacement level over the last 3 years). Simply signing Luke Schenn for $700k would have made a lot more sense.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Benn has a reasonable profile in terms of defensive effectiveness but I think this quote I found in a Habs blog sums him up:

"Any team looking to bring on Jordie Benn should avoid keeping him in a top-4 position for extended periods of time as it appears to drain him both physically and from a hockey IQ standpoint. Giving him a consistent third pairing role with PK minutes allows him to play to his strengths without taking on too much."

In other words, he's the 5D version of 7th man Alex Biega.

Reactions: Hit the post

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Pretty perfect bottom pairing option, hopefully he doesn't have to play up the lineup too much

Prefer him at 2 to Huttons possible arb number, but still sad considering Benn is so much older. He's 31, but hey I guess their plan in two years is that he isn't in the top 6 anyway and that Juolevi slots into that left side

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
This is a better signing than Myers. I'm good with this. But upset that it cost us Hutton.

To add, and not be able to move him beforehand if there was no intention on keeping him. It's just dumb.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Get ALL the bottom pairing dmen!!!1!

FiNj8.jpg

But at least it's only for two years at $2mil.

*edit* Just saw there's some kind of NTC in there. Because of course there is. :laugh: Benning...

Reactions: LordBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad