Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Benn is getting 64% o-zone starts and Quinn Hughes is getting 32%.

The reverse is actually happening - because Green doesn't trust his 3rd pairing, Hughes is actually being played away from his strengths in tough defensive minutes.
Where are your numbers from?

They appear wrong.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Hughes is leading the team in ozone starts.

Sooooo... #fakenews?

Also raw numbers: Hughes 25 ozone starts. Benn 9.

Edit: even if you weren't lying and you honestly got a bad source or made a mistake... you would be willing to completely throw out what your eyes have been watching to say that Benn has hindered Hughes deployment????? You watching the games right? Amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucko

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Where are your numbers from?

They appear wrong.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Hughes is leading the team in ozone starts.

Sooooo... #fakenews?

Also raw numbers: Hughes 25 ozone starts. Benn 9.

Edit: even if you weren't lying and you honestly got a bad source or made a mistake... you would be willing to completely throw out what your eyes have been watching to say that Benn has hindered Hughes deployment????? You watching the games right? Amazing.

My numbers were from hockey-reference.com ... and yeah, they might be off.

Yes I've watched the games and my perception watching the games was that Benn/Stecher were being spotted and not given tough matchups.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My numbers were from hockey-reference.com ... and yeah, they might be off.

Yes I've watched the games and my perception watching the games was that Benn/Stecher were being spotted and not given tough matchups.
To the detriment of Hughes...
That's what you saw.. or that's what the numbers made you think you saw.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To the detriment of Hughes...
That's what you saw.. or that's what the numbers made you think you saw.

My impression through 4 of the first 5 games (I missed most of the LA game) was that the top two pairings were playing a ton and playing well and the 3rd pairing was being spotted into limited minutes.

When I looked up the numbers just now, Benn's listed zone starts didn't raise an eyebrow from me although Hughes' did. But I assumed the numbers were correct.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My impression through 4 of the first 5 games (I missed most of the LA game) was that the top two pairings were playing a ton and playing well and the 3rd pairing was being spotted into limited minutes.

When I looked up the numbers just now, Benn's listed zone starts didn't raise an eyebrow from me although Hughes' did. But I assumed the numbers were correct.

I know.

It's a perfect example how people allow numbers and stats to create a narrative despite what they actually saw. In this case you thinking Benn was taking away Hughes ozone starts cuz the coach wasnt trusting him defensively.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
he's definitely showing no signs of deserving more ice time, but he's been competent as a role playing depth dman. not good but not bad and no glaring weaknesses yet. if he manages that all season i'd be very happy.
Basically this

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I know.

It's a perfect example how people allow numbers and stats to create a narrative despite what they actually saw. In this case you thinking Benn was taking away Hughes ozone starts cuz the coach wasnt trusting him defensively.

I find the notion that stat analysis createa biases instead of holds them in check, completely backwarda.

99% of the people on these boards are not talented scouts or even good at understanding hockey. Trusting stats over your own eye test is EXACTLY the right thing to do.

People get emotional about a big hit and thing player plays physical because he has a highly visible hit every 5 games.

People read that a player is a defensive defenseman, are unable to analyse what they are supposed to be doing on any given play defensively and assume he is doing well because they had read the term defensive defenseman next to their name.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I find the notion that stat analysis createa biases instead of holds them in check, completely backwarda.

99% of the people on these boards are not talented scouts or even good at understanding hockey. Trusting stats over your own eye test is EXACTLY the right thing to do.

People get emotional about a big hit and thing player plays physical because he has a highly visible hit every 5 games.

People read that a player is a defensive defenseman, are unable to analyse what they are supposed to be doing on any given play defensively and assume he is doing well because they had read the term defensive defenseman next to their name.
Not when the stats actually fail at telling you the whole story.
No issue with stats. Big issue with people taking a couple stats and running with an inaccurate narrative because they fail to understand context or the actual meaning of the stats they are trying interpret.

Reactions: lousy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benn comes pretty much as advertised....a safe, solid veteran who won't wow you with any one thing....but tends to make the right play most of the time.....but really, he's just a placeholder until some of the young d-men the Canucks have drafted and developed like Juolevi, Tryamkin and Woo are ready for prime time.

Reactions: Nomobo

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Benn comes pretty much as advertised....a safe, solid veteran who won't wow you with any one thing....but tends to make the right play most of the time.....but really, he's just a placeholder until some of the young d-men the Canucks have drafted and developed like Juolevi, Tryamkin and Woo are ready for prime time.
And the difference between this description and any description we might care to give of Gudbranson, or Pouliot, is staggering.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think Hutton is a better defenceman and would be doing at least as well or better in the situations Benn is being played so far this year. I think Hutton would be better at temporarily sliding up the lineup in the case of injuries. But Benn is a more physical player, and I suppose when management is constructing the defence when running out Stecher and Hughes, they want the crease clearing and board work skills to complement them.

I still would have preferred Hutton but I don’t know if they could have gotten him for $2m AAV even though he signed for less with LA. Taking a pay cut with your former team while still in your prime years can be a lot of pride to swallow.

Reactions: ekimbo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Our provincial income taxes are not overly high. The best city in one of the best countries to live in the world. The only negative is we are whiny lot who do not realize what we have, but hockey players are not exposed too much to that.

By NHL standards Vancouver is a backwater with a history of shame and failure. Sorry...

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
By NHL standards Vancouver is a backwater with a history of shame and failure. Sorry...

What do you mean by “NHL standards”? I’m curious to what metric you’re using that ranks Vancouver as a “backwater” when compared to Calgary, Edmonton, Raleigh, Detroit, Minneapolis etc.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What do you mean by “NHL standards”? I’m curious to what metric you’re using that ranks Vancouver as a “backwater” when compared to Calgary, Edmonton, Raleigh, Detroit, Minneapolis etc.

I mean weather, location, legacy, "star power" (NYC, LA, SF, FLA etc.), organization, taxes, cost of living, travel, etc.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I mean weather, location, legacy, "star power" (NYC, LA, SF, FLA etc.), organization, taxes, cost of living, travel, etc.
It’s a great place to raise a family when it comes to cities, that’s worth a lot and there’s the natural beauty of BC.
There are many, many worse places in NA.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not when the stats actually fail at telling you the whole story.
No issue with stats. Big issue with people taking a couple stats and running with an inaccurate narrative because they fail to understand context or the actual meaning of the stats they are trying interpret.

I think "eye test" is far more suspect to emotional bias.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think "eye test" is far more suspect to emotional bias.
Of course. But the actual real world effect of stats effecting narrative that spurred this whole conversation can't be lost as a clear example of complete dismissal of eye test because of numbers on a paper. People do that all the time... run with what the numbers say despite this game being so dynamic and impossible for stats to encapsulate.
The interpretation of stats need to be to supportive and in line of actual eye test... not be the driver of narrative exclusive of it.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I’ve liked Benn he’s a good PKer, he’s tough in front of the net. I also believe others are afraid of him. Rumour has it Jamie never remembers brother Jordie without the beard. As a child, the doctor tried to shave Jordies beard only to uncover yet another beard underneath. Jordie Benn’s chin is a Russian doll full of beards scaling both up and down infinitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad