Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Cowtown are definitely worse off than Vancouver. So I would put us a solid 4th last choice of NHL players.

Ottawa is probably worse right now, too, given the ownership disaster there and the state of the team.

But yeah, we're a bottom-5 destination in the league except to guys with a local connection of some kind.

As much as most of us might love it here and the climate compared to the rest of Canada, it's a dreary, rainy place for most of the October-early April NHL season and the travel is horrific compared to most NHL stops.

By the time you factor in the NYI/NJ/Philly games and the shorter travel all over the eastern seaboard, a player for the Rangers (or the other teams in that cluster) probably spends 20+ extra nights at home with their family over the course of a 180-day season. It's a huge difference.

Reactions: Zippgunn and timw33

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Of course. But the actual real world effect of stats effecting narrative that spurred this whole conversation can't be lost as a clear example of complete dismissal of eye test because of numbers on a paper. People do that all the time... run with what the numbers say despite this game being so dynamic and impossible for stats to encapsulate.
The interpretation of stats need to be to supportive and in line of actual eye test... not be the driver of narrative exclusive of it.

Im not saying one way or the other is true, but why are we assuming Natural Statrick is correct and hockey-reference is wrong?

I dont trust your eye, or mine, at all. We dont have a f***in clue what we are watching.
There are actual scouts who make a living doing this, who really dont have a f***ing clue what they are watching.

There are GMs who seem to not have a clue.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Im not saying one way or the other is true, but why are we assuming Natural Statrick is correct and hockey-reference is wrong?

I dont trust your eye, or mine, at all. We dont have a ****in clue what we are watching.
There are actual scouts who make a living doing this, who really dont have a ****ing clue what they are watching.

There are GMs who seem to not have a clue.

Depends on what you are are watching for..

I have a definite idea of what I'm watching. And I'm certain of my opinion based on my experience of watching the game for years.

But yeah.. if you are sitting there watching the game and then at the at end of are like "***! I don't have the slightest idea how many controlled zone entries Stecher allowed on his side 5o5"... then yeah, I can understand you having no clue about what you're watching.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Depends on what you are are watching for..

I have a definite idea of what I'm watching. And I'm certain of my opinion based on my experience of watching the game for years.

But yeah.. if you are sitting there watching the game and then at the at end of are like "***! I don't have the slightest idea how many controlled zone entries Stecher allowed on his side 5o5"... then yeah, I can understand you having no clue about what you're watching.

Dunning-Kruger.

But yeah. We disagree on the fans ability to actually understand the game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Benn just had a Gudbranson like shift. Guy has absolutely zero clue what to do when the puck is on his stick.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Benn just had a Gudbranson like shift. Guy has absolutely zero clue what to do when the puck is on his stick.

Yet he comes away with 2 points and is a 5th defenceman on this team.

Can you please step down as a mod for this board?

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

That's why you're not a Mod. Being one doesn't require expert knowledge on the team (or else I would've never been one ;)). And that assumes his opinion is an incorrect one.

I'm not sure he's fitting in well with Stecher (though that isn't really a knock on Benn's abilities). Still think Schenn would've been a better option for Benn's spot (but it's still early in the season - maybe they'll get better as the season goes on).

He’s a mad mod. :)
Nah, me & PG are just a couple of wild & crazy guys!

Now excuse us while we got try and get some foxes!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Moderators are allowed to have opinions and express them. They are volunteers doing a thankless job, not paid shadow agents here to sow negativity like you guys seemingly keep accusing them of being.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He made one attempted zone exit in the 3rd that was way too elaborate and didn't work and people flipped out. Generally he's looked great for a 3rd pairing D, as has Stecher.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Moderators are allowed to have opinions and express them. They are volunteers doing a thankless job, not paid shadow agents here to sow negativity like you guys seemingly keep accusing them of being.
A few of them are definitely here to sow negativity. I don't recall anyone claiming they do it anyone's sake but their own. I'm not even sure they're aware they're doing it, for that matter.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
A few of them are definitely here to sow negativity. I don't recall anyone claiming they do it anyone's sake but their own. I'm not even sure they're aware they're doing it, for that matter.

Again, they are allowed to have opinions that are not endorsements or complimentary of the team and it's management. They provide their reasons and present their information in a clear way and are entitled to argue and defend those positions.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
He made one attempted zone exit in the 3rd that was way too elaborate and didn't work and people flipped out. Generally he's looked great for a 3rd pairing D, as has Stecher.

Yeah, he was solid last night save that one play where he tried to be a bearded Quinn Hughes.

On the season as a whole, I think Stecher and Benn have been up and down. Though it appears both guys are getting better as they get more reps together.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Again, they are allowed to have opinions that are not endorsements or complimentary of the team and it's management. They provide their reasons and present their information in a clear way and are entitled to argue and defend those positions.
I'm not disputing any of this, nor do I think the behaviour of less pessimistic posters generally fits any of the implications you're making here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad