Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordie Benn to 2-Year Deal ($2M AAV w/ limited trade protection)

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Not bad. Nothing amazing but a decent signing. Only unexpected thing is this management team were able to pull off a reasonably astute move.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
I'm not that worried about it either, it is probably something like 5-10 teams he can veto. It'd be stupid if he could veto 15 or 20 but I can't see it being that high.

$2m x 2. Not horrible, but Benn's not top 4 capable for any extended period of time so we need Edler and Hughes to stay healthy.

I agree both need to be injury free, hopefully with these signings and the extra added depth minutes will be more spread out amongst the D. Heck maybe even implement a game load management style for some of the D

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
They're going to pair Myers with Quinn Hughes, I predict. They'll want a smaller guy to have a bigger physical body to pair with.

Benn will slot in with Tanev. I like this pick-up. He grew up cheering for the Canucks. He's come home.

No no no.

And Myers / Hughes would last three games. A laugh at their lack of defense would last for some time though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have warmed up to this signing but I thought that with Hutton back there will be less pressure for Hughes to play top 4 minutes though.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is a solid signing. Tidy work by Benning to get it at that term and dollar.

The NTC is a little annoying, but hopefully the new GM can flip Benn in 2021 at the deadline for a low pick assuming that the Canucks are out of the playoff picture...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What was the number that Hutton got in arbitration? I’d love to know how you got a number from something that didn’t happen
You are suggesting that Hutton signs below his qualifying offer and doesn't get anything more in arbitration? In either case the Benn contract looks better.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You are suggesting that Hutton signs below his qualifying offer and doesn't get anything more in arbitration? In either case the Benn contract looks better.

Not what I said at all. I asked what number he got in arbitration as the poster clearly articulated he knew what that was.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
looking at capfriendly, this contract is front loaded. they can buy out or bury it cheaply next year if they have to.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
See? This board isn't a pit of "negativity". When Benning makes decent moves, people actually praise him. Like the Benn signing.

He just doesn't make many good moves.

Reactions: TraderJim

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Like this signing more and more after it settles. Last year we played 5 D that don't belong in the NHL, at least not yet. And that doesn't include Biega. It's nice to have a D-roster that is 8 deep with legitimate NHL players.
Now they need to work on the top end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->