Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Carson Soucy to 3-Year, $9.75M Deal ($3.25M AAV)

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I really like this player and this contract.

He’s been a #5 in Seattle but all of his metrics are outstanding, the eye test is excellent, and I think he’ll play up into 19 minutes as a Edmundson-type defensive 4D.

Was at the top of my wishlist and is ideal for what the team needs on a very solid contract.

I think he’s been one of the best #5s for 3-4 years now and has been deserving of a shot at a bigger role for a long time now. Do you know if he can play the right side?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
But he has better skating, gap control, defensive reads. Basically anything to do in his own end he is better than Myers. Yeah he's not as tall....
Pair him with Myers to fully unleash the giraffe in a contract year.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I see two extreme opinions have formed: 1.He's a legit top-4 dman and 2.He's Tucker Poolman 2.0.

I think most people have him as a solid #5 that has shown some promise to contribute a bit in a middle pairing, is an affordable bet to try, and the best option we had without overpaying in term and dollars. He'll contribute where we need most (defensively responsible phyical player that can improve th penalty kill) so may not be a home run top-4 (otherwise we'd be paying more) but is a base hit that is a step in the right direction for what we can afford.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I want to see a picture of Quinn Hughes standing between Tyler Myers and Carson Soucy …just sayin’
1688254402459.png

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seems to be the going rate for #5 D-men.

Time will tell if he can actually perform as a #4. Even if he can't, the value isn't bad, especially since Cole's deal is only 1 year so we aren't locked into two guys essentially playing the same depth role.

Well-liked by the fans of the teams he's been on and good metrics.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
He's worth more than just two million
Maybe, but I’d say he is worth closer to 2.2m than 3.2m given his track record. He has decent underlying numbers but I’m always a little wary of those for a bottom pairing guy who probably wasn’t seeing top competition much. Soucy definitely fills some needs with his size and PK ability, so I don’t hate the deal, just a little wary that there is some risk he doesn’t quite hold up as a #4 in 5v5 mins for this team to make the playoffs

Reactions: Bgav

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Maybe, but I’d say he is worth closer to 2.2m than 3.2m given his track record. He has decent underlying numbers but I’m always a little wary of those for a bottom pairing guy who probably wasn’t seeing top competition much. Soucy definitely fills some needs with his size and PK ability, so I don’t hate the deal, just a little wary that there is some risk he doesn’t quite hold up as a #4 in 5v5 mins for this team to make the playoffs

He's probably worth 2.6M but we pay the UFA price. Given team needs it's a necessary and calculated risk.

If he struggles 5v5 we still have a 17min bottom pairing guy that will help the PK. Wouldn't be ideal but it's not a huge commitment that completely screws us.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
3 years is ok, he's 28 turning 29. just that hes been a 3rd pairing guy through out his career.

But hes decent defensively and has size/reach and some physicality. Can't fight though.

so if he's on our 3rd pair, a bit of overpayment 2.5 should be where he's at.

Brayden McNabb for examples makes 2.85
Agreed...overpayment. Why do we think he is any better than any of our depth defencmen?

He's probably worth 2.6M but we pay the UFA price. Given team needs it's a necessary and calculated risk.

If he struggles 5v5 we still have a 17min bottom pairing guy that will help the PK. Wouldn't be ideal but it's not a huge commitment that completely screws us.
You can overpay, or give too much term. You should not do both which is what we did!

• Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not a bad deal. Seems to be about the going rate for a big physical #5D, and didn't go overboard with term. Some reason for a bit of optimism that he might be able to play up to fringe Top-4.

Curious between Soucy and Cole, which of them ends up with Hughes and which with Hronek. Hopefully they can find some chemistry somewhere. Problem obviously being, whichever way you dice it, half our Top-4 is basically going to be comprised of #5D that we're hoping can play above their heads.

That is, unless they manage to unload Myers and pull a bona fide Top-4D out of a hat somewhere. Which seems unlikely.

In any case...our defence got bigger, heavier, more physical...and hopefully improved defensively and on the PK with these guys, in place of the various bottom-pairing guys we ran out last year. Hard for this not to be an improvement on that.

And to not overspend like i expected Soucy was going to ring in at, with an extra million tagged on the front...well, that ain't bad.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Given our rumoured interest, the Canucks got their target. I like the player, he fills a need, and contract seems reasonable to me.

I think most people have him as a solid #5 that has shown some promise to contribute a bit in a middle pairing, is an affordable bet to try, and the best option we had without overpaying in term and dollars. He'll contribute where we need most (defensively responsible phyical player that can improve th penalty kill) so may not be a home run top-4 (otherwise we'd be paying more) but is a base hit that is a step in the right direction for what we can afford.

Agreed. It reminds me of the Forbort deal a couple of years back (we went with Poolman). Soucy's defensive numbers are good. Will be happy if he simply delivers much of the same for us over the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad