Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Carson Soucy to 3-Year, $9.75M Deal ($3.25M AAV)

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yes. And it was an overpayment for Schenn, and I'm glad the Canucks deferred from that.

I don't think Soucy is a bad signing, because he will definitely help in the areas they need help. It's just not a slam dunk. Soucy isn't a top-four guy right now.

Well. The market decides the value of the players. Hes not going to be brought in here to carry a pairing.

Hes gonna play a lot on the PK and at even strength. His role isnt gonna change overnight and be played 19-20 minutes a game.

Id say he will get around 17 mins per game for us.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I don't think Soucy is moving the needle for us. Hronek is gonna have to be that guy.

But I don't hate this. Pretty good signings all around today.

Pleasantly surprised with management. Nice having smart people in charge again.

The Canucks don't need guys right now that move the needle. They need to fill out the bottom of the roster with guys that stop moving the needle in the other direction.

We've gotten great play from star players in the past few years, but the absolute shit show at the bottom of the roster has prevented any meaningful progression. With a better PK and lower event hockey when Hughes is off the ice, the team is setting itself up nicely.

Obviously we're still missing some of the big pieces, but the core needs to prove its ready to contend first, then you put all your chips in. The term on the rest of the deals shows management is thinking about what happens if next season goes well/poorly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really like this player and this contract.

He’s been a #5 in Seattle but all of his metrics are outstanding, the eye test is excellent, and I think he’ll play up into 19 minutes as a Edmundson-type defensive 4D.

Was at the top of my wishlist and is ideal for what the team needs on a very solid contract.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Someone said it
Seems like they’ve had their eyes on their target months ago already
No more running out of time
disagree with this take. the benning era for the most part involved us tying guys up weeks early by overpaying them then announcing it pretty much the moment the ufa window opened. the only time that varied was when we were waiting for vegas and in that case they did not run out of time, they pretended to run out of time.

i did not like that approach. just once i'd love to see us being opportunistic.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Theres also a difference between being a bottom pairing dman on a playoff contending team and winning a round in the playoffs.

Versus being a bottom pairing dman on a bottom feeder.

Actually night and day difference.

Buffalo just paid 3.3m for Clifton who is a bottom pairing dman.
There's some overlap depending on the team but people shouldn't be looking at bottom pairing dmen like 4th liners. Good bottom pair dmen are more like good 3rd liners and there's nothing wrong with paying these guys $3M a season.

One of the first sort of 'Benning logic' applied to the Canucks when he shipped out Garrison is 'you can't be paying your #5 guy $5M!'. And look how well that turned out for us.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The signings are good and all, but they are both LD. I thought we were looking for a proper partner for Hughes.

Both can play either side, and I think whoever gets with Hughes is a temporary filler until Willander is ready.

Rather these compromise pieces than over-paying with too much term, the perfect fit of a RHD at an affordable price and right age group just isn't available, and with Willander we only need to buy some time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not sure how I feel about this deal. I suspect he’s overpaid by about a million and it remains to be seen if he can play in the top four on a playoff team consistently. But only 3 year term in FA makes it a little bit more palatable.

it's a tweener signing. an overpay for a 6d and an underpay for a 4d. probably fair as that is what he seems to be. not a full 4d but over 16 minutes last year and lots of pk time is not replacement either.

seattle tried to make soucy a 4d two years ago and then backed off his overall average icetime by 1:20 this year while increasing his pk time. he broke 20 minutes just once this season so he's a guy they managed closely.

if canucks pull it off and get 4d minutes he will be a steal. i think they will try and pull it off by pairing him with hughes. they have a decent shot at it i think.

i see cole with myers if we keep myers. cole is a smart mobile positionally sound player.

Both can play either side, and I think whoever gets with Hughes is a temporary filler until Willander is ready.

Rather these compromise pieces than over-paying with too much term, the perfect fit of a RHD at an affordable price and right age group just isn't available, and with Willander we only need to buy some time.

we have to have a plan for weathering the big cap hit years from the oel buyout. signing veterans short term makes good sense.

Reactions: MarkMM

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

He’s been a #5 in Seattle but all of his metrics are outstanding, the eye test is excellent, and I think he’ll play up into 19 minutes as a Edmundson-type defensive 4D.

Was at the top of my wishlist and is ideal for what the team needs on a very solid contract.
This makes me feel better.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well. The market decides the value of the players. Hes not going to be brought in here to carry a pairing.

Hes gonna play a lot on the PK and at even strength. His role isnt gonna change overnight and be played 19-20 minutes a game.

Id say he will get around 17 mins per game for us.
"The market decides" is never a reason to say a deal was good or bad. Evidently the market decided Reaves should get a 3 year deal.

For the commitment they made to Soucy, you'd want him to be a top-four guy but it's not a slam dunk he will be.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Yup. I wish Soucy was right handed as he'd be a perfect compliment to Hughes.

Does Cole play right side sometimes?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not an egregious overpayment in the grand history of Canucks free agency. Good depth acquisition assume he’ll see a lot of PK time, which we need.

The defense should be improved after today, but will still be over reliant on two guys at the top end and Hronek better work out.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I heard the Canucks were kicking tires on Justin Holl (who signed 3 x $3.4M with the Wings)...Glad they went in this direction.

Reactions: me2

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So s who is the better d man between Soucy and Cole? Cole played 2 more minutes per game (than Soucy) on a pretty good Tampa team. Cole also played right side. Who would be a better fit for Hughes?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"The market decides" is never a reason to say a deal was good or bad. Evidently the market decided Reaves should get a 3 year deal.

For the commitment they made to Soucy, you'd want him to be a top-four guy but it's not a slam dunk he will be.

What 28 y/o established top-4 defenders are signing for $3.2 million/year?

The commitment is entirely reasonable and this is a good bet.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What 28 y/o established top-4 defenders are signing for $3.2 million/year?

The commitment is entirely reasonable and this is a good bet.
It's above the pay grade for a third-pair guy. Ergo, top-four.

Like I've made very clear in multiple posts, I don't mind this signing at all and he will certainly help the Canucks in the areas they need a lot of help.

I just don't think it's a slam dunk. We've never really seen him play consistently above third-pair usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad