Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Carson Soucy to 3-Year, $9.75M Deal ($3.25M AAV)

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It’s been a few years now, but I wasn’t very familiar with the player until the Minny series in the bubble.

I loved his game in that series, and was hoping when he was made available in the expansion draft the Canucks could find a way to acquire him.

Our PK should be improved, and we should be harder to play against in our own end of the ice.

Reactions: sting101 and MarkMM

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Previously hit Garland pretty high twice once when he was in Arizona and once in Van. He also fought Miller and Pearson. Love the extra grit

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
He was on the radio today on Canucks Central - seemed like a really well spoken and intelligent guy. Looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table

Does he pair with Hronek on the 2nd pair and do we run with:

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Hirose/Wolanin - Myers

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I think most people have him as a solid #5 that has shown some promise to contribute a bit in a middle pairing, is an affordable bet to try, and the best option we had without overpaying in term and dollars. He'll contribute where we need most (defensively responsible phyical player that can improve th penalty kill) so may not be a home run top-4 (otherwise we'd be paying more) but is a base hit that is a step in the right direction for what we can afford.
Modern day Murray Baron

Reactions: Nick Lang

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Soucy/Schultz were 13th in xGA/60 among defensive pairings with at least 400 minutes played last season. Maata/Hronek were 16th. A Soucy/Hronek pairing has the potential to be pretty decent for Vancouver next season. Obviously there’s more to the equation including quality of competition but interesting nonetheless.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A little late to the draw, but I was quite happy to hear about this signing on Canada day. Soucey was the player who I wanted for the Canucks. A bigger body who can actually play defense. A Hronek/Soucey pairing would be a decent 2nd pairing and I still believe Soucey has a bit left in the tank for improvement. With the extra grit and steadiness, I think Soucey will be fully capable to play in the top 4. It will allow Hronek to jump in and get creative offensively.
A good start to improve our AHL caliber defensive core. I like this signing a lot. Canucks didn't overpay, Soucey came at a great price and the perfect term. Well done Allvin.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
This is not a disciplined player just a disclaimer
Not sure how much that really matters though. A better supporting PK cast and non-putrid goaltending, should help alleviate PIM concerns. Then factor in that both Soucy and Cole are perennial plus players at 5-on-5, and it should be even less of an issue.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I dont mind it. Taking a bad penalty (like Myers run of bad penalties last year) frequently isnt good, but if you take the odd penalty standing up for teammates Ive got no problem. I dont think hes a very good fighter at all but still, for way too long this team has had no pushback when our guys get ran over

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Like not disciplined he’s going to take a million lazy teaching hooking/tripping calls, or not disciplined like he’s going to try to strangle Brad Marchand at centre ice? There’s an important difference.
Not disciplined like he is not going to eat well, his room is a mess and he is often running late to appointments.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The penalty taking thing is a good point.

It's why it's important that they grab another good penalty killer.

We have three guys really prone to taking penalties in Cole, Soucy, Myers.

Moving out Myers after the SB and doing a stop gap rental on Tanev is a good move.

Reactions: m9 and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I dont mind it. Taking a bad penalty (like Myers run of bad penalties last year) frequently isnt good, but if you take the odd penalty standing up for teammates Ive got no problem. I dont think hes a very good fighter at all but still, for way too long this team has had no pushback when our guys get ran over

Like not disciplined he’s going to take a million lazy teaching hooking/tripping calls, or not disciplined like he’s going to try to strangle Brad Marchand at centre ice? There’s an important difference.

Well in the past Soucy has jumped off the ice to hit Garland and sucker punched PLD. He has notably taken late penalties.

Anyways for reference, Myers had 26 minor penalties last season. Cole had 28. Soucy had 23. If you consider the fact that Soucy played less minutes we're probably talking about negligible differences here.

Reactions: VIPettersson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It’s been a few years now, but I wasn’t very familiar with the player until the Minny series in the bubble.

I loved his game in that series, and was hoping when he was made available in the expansion draft the Canucks could find a way to acquire him.

Our PK should be improved, and we should be harder to play against in our own end of the ice.
yes that's the year i really started to take notice of this player and wonder if/there was a way we could grab him as that Minnesota defence was so deep i felt like he could be good in a bigger role.

Same thing happened in Seattle so this is a great opportunity for him.

I gotta say i have some trepidation about our top4. While i feel like Hughes and Hronek should be able to move pucks and add offense to either pairing i do wonder about the ability to withstand waves of attacks in our zone and whether Soucy and Cole can be mobile and active enough to truly complement them in those types of minutes. Especially Cole at 34

Should be interesting to see how it unfolds. It can take time for D partners to really gel and work together using time and space and closing it down.

Soucy is a good bet to have his peak years here and stylistically him and Hronek should be good. Hope they come in early and that Foote and Gonchar keep them attached at the hip so they can hit the ground running

Reactions: IComeInPeace and m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Must confess I didn't follow this guy very closely in Seattle or Minny....what does he bring to the table? Obviously the Kraken weren't willing to meet his contract demands.

Where does he slot into the Canucks top-six blueliners? Judging from the stats on Hockey DB, they're aren't getting much offense from him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I say load up on the penalty-takers. Game management should allow us to get away with playing dirty and getting away with it. Take advantage of the Bettman rules.
The 2007-15 Ducks strategy. I remember seeing guys like Perry and Getzlaf take an absurd amount of intentional penalties...

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Must confess I didn't follow this guy very closely in Seattle or Minny....what does he bring to the table? Obviously the Kraken weren't willing to meet his contract demands.

Where does he slot into the Canucks top-six blueliners? Judging from the stats on Hockey DB, they're aren't getting much offense from him.
PK, size, defence, complimentary partner for a puck-mover. Likely partner for Hronek.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Any updates on his injury? I'm not seeing anything, hopefully not serious. I didn't see the game but the highlight looks bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad