Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Carson Soucy to 3-Year, $9.75M Deal ($3.25M AAV)

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Count me as a little baffled. If Hirose is the 'first callup' from Abbotsford in event of injury on the blueline, then why wasn't he given a longer look during the exhibition schedule?

Frankl I'd have preferred to see what he could do, rather than Juulsen, Brisebois or Wolanin.
I think it was because they didn't think Hirose was physically ready for a full time spot on the team. I imagine he's essentially the same player as a the end of last season, so they know what they have in him. Good enough for some stints in a sheltered role, but not ready for a full time spot. He can also move freely without going through waivers while those other guys cannot.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think it was because they didn't think Hirose was physically ready for a full time spot on the team. I imagine he's essentially the same player as a the end of last season, so they know what they have in him. Good enough for some stints in a sheltered role, but not ready for a full time spot. He can also move freely without going through waivers while those other guys cannot.
Is AHL really the place to build your physique while playing?

Reactions: krutovsdonut

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is AHL really the place to build your physique while playing?

I think during the season, NHL players are focused on maintaining their bodies and skills and recovering in preparation for the next game. In the AHL you have to put in extra time to develop your skills and size/strength in addition to maintenance. There are less games in the AHL which should lead to more practice time but part of it might be eaten up by longer travel times.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think during the season, NHL players are focused on maintaining their bodies and skills and recovering in preparation for the next game. In the AHL you have to put in extra time to develop your skills and size/strength in addition to maintenance. There are less games in the AHL which should lead to more practice time but part of it might be eaten up by longer travel times.
But the games are more physical in a grinding way and the travel can get even more ridiculous?

I agree that its basically not possible in the NHL either.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I feel like this is a pretty standard contract for 20-30 pt defensemen, no?
And excluding Dunn and Borgan he's been better than the rest of seattle's d at least stat wise.

It's a standard premium contract for a premium stay at home #5 Dman. It's similar to what Derek Forbort got pre-covid and Soucy gets a full NTC the first two years. He hasn't been great but he hasn't been healthy to start and hasn't had time to find chemistry with a consistent partner.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Soucy gets a full NTC the first two years.
Didnt know about that part.

If he's tradable in the final year of his contract then its good enough for me.
Imho the NTC or any kind of advantage the team offers are the price you have to pay in hopes of attracting UFAs to a bottom team. It's not entirely fair but its just how it goes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure analytics guys have a stat for it, but there's a direct correlation between injuries on the blueline and how much time you're spending in your own zone or on the PK.

This is the second time Soucy has gone down, felled by an errant shot. And lately the Canucks have been spending far too much time chasing in the their own zone or killing penalties. I guess that's the inevitable result of being a tired team.

But unless it improves, Soucy won't be the first guy they lose. Predicting that the Canucks organizational blueline depth will be sorely tested before this season is over.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Canucks are really missing him right now. He may not be a world beater but on this blueline he leaves a gaping hole when he's out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canucks are really missing him right now. He may not be a world beater but on this blueline he leaves a gaping hole when he's out.

He also did the impossible that not even Hughes could do and seem to have fixed Myers. That pair actually worked really well together.

Conversely, Cole looked great with Friedman but just seems off when playing with Myers, which is what seems to happen to most guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad