Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Carson Soucy to 3-Year, $9.75M Deal ($3.25M AAV)

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
he'll look good if he's asked to pk and play 15-20ish 5v5 minutes and he'll look awful if he's asked to play top minutes beside hughes

good signing tho. at worst he's an above average bottom pairing guy

Reactions: m9 and Vector

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
he'll look good if he's asked to pk and play 15-20ish 5v5 minutes and he'll look awful if he's asked to play top minutes beside hughes

good signing tho. at worst he's an above average bottom pairing guy
I think that’s Hronek’s job
Prob have to re-sign him at some point

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The term and average is fine but he's not a top 4 dman on a contender. This is the problem with this team and why today's moves aren't going to make much of a difference.

These moves absolutely make a difference to this team and saying otherwise is being completely ignorant to the team's deficiencies from last year.

The alternative is icing a blueline that put up the worst statistical PK in the history of hockey. All the players we added are PK utility - that's not a coincidence and you're saying they won't make a difference? Please explain what your plan would have been.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hughes Cole/Soucy
Cole/Soucy Hronek

Is miles better than

Hughes Bear
OEL Myers

No matter how you look at it. Hard to hate this in the short term until we slot in Willander.
Hronek is the perfect partner for Soucy because Soucy lacks agility and quickness.

Ian Cole isn't much different than Matt Irwin, so those guys belong in the bottom pair, probably next to Myers. Hughes can carry a guy like Poolman, that's why he gets paid 7M+.

All these signings are better value than Tyler Myers at 6M, that's for sure.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The term and average is fine but he's not a top 4 dman on a contender. This is the problem with this team and why today's moves aren't going to make much of a difference.

It would be accurate if you said that these moves don't turn us into a Stanley Cup contender; but to say that this doesn't "make a difference" is bizarrely off base.

Soucy & Cole at $6.25M vs OEL & Bear at $9.5M makes a huge difference. Blueger instead of Studnicka, etc.

The team is miles better, but complaining that we didn't go from a basement team to a contender in one off-season isn't seroius thinking.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I had Soucy on my wishlist for the day, and lower than this is term and AAV, so I def can't complain.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Poolman contract was both hilarious and depressing because it's unlikely there were any other team offering more than 2 yrs at 1.5M. There's even an argument to be made we were the only team negotiating with Poolman at the time - and for some reason we gave him both term and salary. Jesus Benning was bad

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What 28 y/o established top-4 defenders are signing for $3.2 million/year?

The commitment is entirely reasonable and this is a good bet.

It's a tweener deal. It's mild overpay if he can't cement a top 4 role and a definite underpay if he does. As bets go, I like it a lot.

I still want to see Myers moved and a long term partner for Hughes targeted.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
I see two extreme opinions have formed: 1.He's a legit top-4 dman and 2.He's Tucker Poolman 2.0.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Poolman was panned from the moment it was signed, every commentator was laughing at Benning's stupidity the moment it was announced. Not seeing the same thing here for the obvious reason that this is a good get at a fair price and okay term.
Poolman coming off an injury filled season with 3 measly pts in 40 games and on the brink of signing in Europe or being put in the AHL getting a $2.5 AAV 4 years is the most Jim Benning thing ever.

I see two extreme opinions have formed: 1.He's a legit top-4 dman and 2.He's Tucker Poolman 2.0.
At least Soucy is a little more proven than Poolman who never broken out as a full team NHLer

Reactions: MarkMM

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I don’t think you can say with any confidence he’s a top-four defenseman. Yet to be seen how the signing works out, we’ve seen a lot go both ways obviously. Not the worst bet a Canucks management has taken in recent memory though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad