Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I like Tanev but if he doesn't show another level this year and won't sign for longer than a single season (yet again) I'd explore a trade.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I like Tanev but if he doesn't show another level this year and won't sign for longer than a single season (yet again) I'd explore a trade.

If he only wants one year, then he probably wants out. Then we should trade him.

As is, I think both parties have come to terms with the fact that less for this year potentially means more down the road.

I think Benning is prepared to pay Tanev whatever he is worth next year. He is our best d-man in terms of where he is, skill-wise, at his age. He is the only young d-man who has made the team recently, so he is currently a cornerstone on the back end moving forward.

This is a good deal for both sides, in my opinion.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm really hoping WD reunites Edler-Tanev. Edler has played really well with 4 dmen (Salo, Ehrhoff, Tanev, Karlsson) and really bad with 2 (Bieksa, Garrison). What does the first group have in common? High hockey IQ. The latter group on the other hand is closer to the "instinct" side of the spectrum (as is Edler).
Other than Hamhuis, Tanev is our most intelligent dman. Edler needs s0meone that can read off what he's doing and react accordingly, rather than have 2 guys that are both "feeling" there way around the ice.

Means reuniting Bieksa and Hamhuis though, which has been good and bad. But if Tanev stays with the 'Huis, I'd rather Weber than Bieksa with Edler, and deploy them in offensive situations.

Like the contract, think it makes perfect sense for both sides. Curious to see how WD and Lidster use our blue liners.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
With any luck, Edler will keep Tanev's next longer term contract fairly low by dragging that pairing through the pits of hell like he does with the rest of them. Then once we have him locked up long term, we can start playing him with an actually capable d-man and really start getting our money's worth.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't think Edler has played enough minutes with Tanev to say other than on paper - the pairing *should* look good (too small a sample size to draw conclusions).

But given the rest of the D available on the roster - there isn't any other choice.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The alternative is Tanev-Hamhuis which is folly because you're wasting at least one reliable defender by playing them together.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
The alternative is Tanev-Hamhuis which is folly because you're wasting at least one reliable defender by playing them together.

I think the worst thing about the Hamhuis - Tanev pairing is that it has a high risk of causing the Edler - Bieksa pairing to exist.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't think Edler has played enough minutes with Tanev to say other than on paper - the pairing *should* look good (too small a sample size to draw conclusions).

But given the rest of the D available on the roster - there isn't any other choice.

In 255 minutes total in their careers, Edler and Tanev have posted a 54.7 CF%. In 88 minutes last season, 55 CF%. It will work.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Trading Tanev in a deal for Myers wouldn't be that big of a step forward, it would be so much better to get Myers while keeping Tanev because the right side would bet set for the next decade. I think Hamhuis would do wonders for Myers game and our top 4 would be balanced. Elder and Tanev need to play together and Tanev needs to be told to take as many chances as he can, Edler has had a rough stretch, but he has shown to be defensively competent as well when not asked to shoulder the offensive burden.

But as far as Tanev goes I think his development is at a crossroads, he has all the fundamentals of defensive hockey and transition mentality locked down, so if the coaching uses him as such that's all he'll be. However if they recognize this and put him in more offensive situations and give him the greenlight to rush knowing that he will get back quickly and be able to cover the defensive side I think he's smart enough to get 40 points with PP time. So I like the 1 year contract because those two paths are worth different contracts, points get you more money.

Good points, however the upside with Myers far outweighs Tanev's upside imho.

An Edler - Myers combo could be one of the best in the west if their potential ever comes into fruition, much more so than a Edler - Tanev combo.

Hamhuis - Bieksa go together like bacon and eggs, chips and dip, hansel and gretel, hull and oates.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Why does Tanev always get thrown into trade proposals? I understand he is our best asset but replacing him would be a lot tougher. Imo there are two guys on this team that can play the actual position very well and that's Hamhuis and Tanev.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Why does Tanev always get thrown into trade proposals? I understand he is our best asset but replacing him would be a lot tougher. Imo there are two guys on this team that can play the actual position very well and that's Hamhuis and Tanev.

Pretty simple really. He wasn't a high draft pick so posters here don't have an emotional attachment to him, but his value is clear.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Pretty simple really. He wasn't a high draft pick so posters here don't have an emotional attachment to him, but his value is clear.

Also because he doesn't have an NTC and is one of the few defencemen we had that could realistically be moved.

Well, until Benning showed up anyway.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

To me he gets hit too much, don't know if he can keep his play up with all the body checks he gets and doesn't avoid that well.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
To me he gets hit too much, don't know if he can keep his play up with all the body checks he gets and doesn't avoid that well.

Those of you wanted to draft players like Ehlers/Nylander. Here is why you need players like Virtanen.

Man I hate those ***** of ***** Clifford, Nolan and Brown.

They just make me so mad. :madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah that's something that concerns me as well but let's not forget that Tanev in each season has brought something new to his game maybe this is something he can fix.

I see a lot of fans want Tyler Myers (in swap with Tanev)as well but wouldn't you want the smart mistake free dman rather than the big Chara sized project that may not pan out?

It's quite the risk.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Yeah that's something that concerns me as well but let's not forget that Tanev in each season has brought something new to his game maybe this is something he can fix.

I see a lot of fans want Tyler Myers (in swap with Tanev)as well but wouldn't you want the smart mistake free dman rather than the big Chara sized project that may not pan out?

It's quite the risk.

It's a risk worth gambling for, like the slick skilled Hodgson for Kassian, Kassian due to break soon and when that happens Kassian will be coveted by every team, from a nobody to an untouchable.

Be funny to get two giants from our cousins in Buffalo, make quite the story.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
It's a risk worth gambling for, like the slick skilled Hodgson for Kassian, Kassian due to break soon and when that happens Kassian will be coveted by every team, from a nobody to an untouchable.

Are we sure we want Myers?

Oilers wont even show up for the game. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If people are ok with free win then yes.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver

Imo though as rare as it is to have a giant like Myers in your line-up it's just as rare to have a guy that can play defence like a Hamhuis and Tanev. With that said I wouldn't mind a Edler swap for Myers though as unrealistic as that may be.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

I might as well cite when the Penguins traded slick skating Markus Naslund for big high-upside Alek Stojanov.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i wouldnt take tyler myers for free right now, why would we give up a good player for him

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Imo though as rare as it is to have a giant like Myers in your line-up it's just as rare to have a guy that can play defence like a Hamhuis and Tanev. With that said I wouldn't mind a Edler swap for Myers though as unrealistic as that may be.
Edler isn't going anywhere he's been given a vote of confidence by TL so he can turn it around.

i wouldnt take tyler myers for free right now, why would we give up a good player for him
Myers upside could be crazy, buy low situation, even though it wouldn't be a buy low situation really.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I think the worst thing about the Hamhuis - Tanev pairing is that it has a high risk of causing the Edler - Bieksa pairing to exist.

Yes, it's like letting parents go out for a night on the town and leaving their two little kids at home alone. It is a recipe for disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad