Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Jesus, a lot lower than I expected, even at a 1-year term.

Good signing, and I love the $ amount and that it's only for 1 year.

It's put up time for Tanev this season. Either he displays he can be a top 4 defensive dman or his next contract with the Nucks will have to be a bit of a discount, if he wants a 5 year or so kind of deal.

Here's hoping he continues to develop. I like his presence on our dcorps and he seems to be a good fit for the future.

Well, I can't believe I actually just read that.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Is this what the pairings are projected to be next season?

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev (Don't understand why this pairing didn't stick maybe if it had Edler wouldn't have looked so terrible/lost no point in having two defensive dmen aka Hamhuis/Tanev on the same pairing)

Sbisa/Stanton-/Weber/Corrado

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Tanev is best friends with Cody Hodgson who knows what negativity the hodgson clan whisper into his ear.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Players of Kassian and Tanev's level don't really have much leverage, this is one area where the GM's have collectively gotten the better of the agents. Offer sheets are extremely rare, and for so many young players if the GM's aren't anxious to lock them up long term have had to accept these 'bridge' contracts which are usually two years for 1.5-3.0 million.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
2 million? That's it? Wow thought he'd get at least 3.5 after the season he just had.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think some of you are seriously overrating Tanev. His shot is of the AHL level variety and he rarely plays against the top lines. He will never be a $4-$5Mil player unless he magically gets an offensive side to his game. Not for us anyway.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I think some of you are seriously overrating Tanev. His shot is of the AHL level variety and he rarely plays against the top lines. He will never be a $4-$5Mil player unless he magically gets an offensive side to his game. Not for us anyway.

Yeah, it's not like he already plays the toughest minutes on the Canucks or anything...

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

He averaged over 20 last year and played a lot of tough matchups, and while his shot isn't great, his vision and passing is underrated by most.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
With Kassian, Tanev, etc., all signed up for the time being, how much overall cap space do we have now? I've lost track.

Are we at around 3 million in cap space left?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Who should we now target Roy/Ribeiro as #2C or a PMD like Del Zotto?

If it's between these 3 options, I would easily choose Del Zotto.

Roy is incredibly washed up and small, while Riberio is fairly mediocre and also has a lot of personal issues apparently.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
I think he was talking about Vey.

I read on capgeek Vey was at $900k last year, so saying he might receive ~ (roughly) $1MM isn't much of a stretch.

But ya, there really aren't many decent UFAs available so might be better to then search for a team that is shedding salary or needs a backup goalie and would be willing to take some draft picks to let go of a #2/3 defensive center which we need.

But, obviously this belongs in the armchair GM thread.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

How much is Hamhuis worth to you?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

What?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Solid signing by Benning. A fair bit lower than I expected. Leave him with a bit of room/more flexability.

Will have more cap space/room when Benning does more "spring cleaning" on the roster later to sign Tanev to a longer term deal.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Maybe because he's already proven to be a very good top 4 DMan....?

It's not "put up time", he already showed he's a top-4 defenseman and then some.

One decent season, is not a record of consistency, and therefore isn't 'proof' that he is going to be a good top 4 dman.

If he can replicate it again, then he deserves the top 4 minutes and the salary that should go along with it, no doubt, but 1 season isn't proof nor has he shown that he's "then some". This season will go a long way imo is showing that though, and I for one hope he is even better than last, because that would be great for the future of the club's dcorps.

One season could be an aberration, or it could be the height of his career, or it could be the start of a break-through of his game. Again, it's too early to tell, and i'm glad he re-signed for 1 year at a great cap hit.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Huh. I was expecting a bigger fight. Right where he should be. Well done. There's the big question of how much of his 'top 4 d-man capability' is from playing with Hamhuis. I've always imagined him to be just a complimentary player, plus it seems a waste to play such a reliable guy with Hamhuis so much. Everyone looks great with Hamhuis.

Put him in situations where he has to move the needle and shut down top players on his own. Then you know what you're buying in his final RFA year.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
One decent season, is not a record of consistency, and therefore isn't 'proof' that he is going to be a good top 4 dman.

If he can replicate it again, then he deserves the top 4 minutes and the salary that should go along with it, no doubt, but 1 season isn't proof nor has he shown that he's "then some". This season will go a long way imo is showing that though, and I for one hope he is even better than last, because that would be great for the future of the club's dcorps.

One season could be an aberration, or it could be the height of his career, or it could be the start of a break-through of his game. Again, it's too early to tell, and i'm glad he re-signed for 1 year at a great cap hit.

Tanev has impressed me since his first season with the Canucks. I'd take him over that headcase Edler any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: