Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Per Murph on Twitter.

EDIT: Now confirmed. Done deal.

Not to thrilled about the back to back 1-Year terms; guessing $1.75m for the year. Can't see the Canucks offering much more than they have Kassian, especially on a short term bridge deal.

Last edited:

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
He's a UFA after the year after this one isn't he? No surprise they want his RFA rights while Tanev's camp wants him to get a more lucrative deal than they could get now.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
If he is going to be RFA after next year, how is this contract bad?

He proved himself last year and if he proves it again we can sign him long term.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Seems like the Canucks are looking to keep some cap space.. maybe keeping some space open for the trade deadline? If we sign him for 2-2.5M we'd have ~2.5-3M to play with (assuming Markstrom is traded/sent down/waived).

Could be a pretty good move to keep our options open to see how the Sedins/etc bounce back this year. If we're in playoff contention, make an addition, otherwise make some moves and get draft picks.

I like the strategy, actually.

I wanted to sign Tanev to a 4-6year deal. Given him 3.5-4M per.. take a bit of a hit this year when we have the cap space, but reap the benefits when we have a better chance at the cup. But this works too.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

He proved himself last year and if he proves it again we can sign him long term.

You can lock him up for a few more years if you give him more money. If he plays better than last year than you have to give him more money than you would this year.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Because we have the cap space this year (and probably next year with the youth we have coming in) to pay him a bit more to add on a couple of extra years at the end at a reduced rate.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I wasn't in love with the one year term either.

But on second thought, it does get the contract status wrapped up well before camp.

And also, one year contracts are "show me" contracts. Keeps the pressure on Tanev to show that he is continuing to develop...and keeps the pressure on management to continually keep up with this kid and not take him for granted just because he isn't the big point producer.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I have a feeling Tanev will get moved sooner or later.

He can't be too happy hearing his name pop up in those trade rumours around the draft. Maybe that is factoring in to his decision as well.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Really think if we don't pay him big next year, he'll head to UFA.

After this year Tanev is an RFA for 2 more years (offseason 2015 and 2016). I think he is betting on himself to keep improving offensively, while cap rising. I think this is a win-win for team and player.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
He can't be too happy hearing his name pop up in those trade rumours around the draft. Maybe that is factoring in to his decision as well.

What decision? Signing short term is a benefit to the team, less risk.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC

I doubt Tanev has any huge loyalty to the Canucks. He strikes me as someone who is after the money and is probably eyeing free agency. He is the most difficult to sign of all the rfa's; that's why I think he will be moved eventually. All this is speculation on my part, of course.

If you are worried about a player's psyche, it is Shinkaruk that I am thinking about. His name was out there for the number one pick.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
I doubt Tanev has any huge loyalty to the Canucks. He strikes me as someone who is after the money and is probably eyeing free agency. He is the most difficult to sign of all the rfa's; that's why I think he will be moved eventually. All this is speculation on my part, of course.

If you are worried about a player's psyche, it is Shinkaruk that I am thinking about. His name was out there for the number one pick.

How is he, so difficult to sign? If he signs today it will be a day after Kassian. Not really sure how that makes him the most difficult to sign. I think that Gillis was playing hard ball before to retain maximum cap space, while don't be surprised to see Benning sign Tanev close 2.5M. This situation has become overblown with speculation. There have been no credible sources that say Tanev is playing hardball.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
What decision? Signing short term is a benefit to the team, less risk.

I just mean maybe he doesn't want to sign a cheap long-term deal if he thinks he could be traded to some random team. On the other hand, our team isn't that great so maybe it won't factor into his decision that much. :laugh:

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 3m

#Canucks reach one-year agreement with Chris Tanev

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: