Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Edler isn't going anywhere he's been given a vote of confidence by TL so he can turn it around.

Myers upside could be crazy, buy low situation, even though it wouldn't be a buy low situation really.

It is... the exact opposite of a buy low situation. He carries a 5.5M cap hit through 2019 and you want to give up a high equity asset in Chris Tanev @ 2M. That isn't buy low; it is borderline insanity. If the Sabres bought out Myers and we could pick him up for a low cost, sure, that might be worth a gamble, but you don't pay a premium for a project.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I swear ever since McGuire brought up Myers, some people have this fixed fascination for this trainwreck of a player at a trainwreck of a contract.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I swear ever since McGuire brought up Myers, some people have this fixed fascination for this trainwreck of a player at a trainwreck of a contract.

He's still young enough to develop into a #1/franchise dman. Dmans generally do take longer to develop and the only reason he's even in the market now is because of his poor play. Its a huge gamble to take Myers but the reward is also big if he finds his game. Of course 'nucks would be better off not taking that gamble and sign safe dmans like Tanev (wish it was longer term) since we have our own project in Elder.

Problem for us of course is Elder/Tanev weren't great together last year. I doubt KB3/Elder would be great either so we might have to make another move between now and the start of the season.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It is... the exact opposite of a buy low situation. He carries a 5.5M cap hit through 2019 and you want to give up a high equity asset in Chris Tanev @ 2M. That isn't buy low; it is borderline insanity. If the Sabres bought out Myers and we could pick him up for a low cost, sure, that might be worth a gamble, but you don't pay a premium for a project.

edler/myers < edler/bieksa

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Are we sure we want Myers?

Oilers wont even show up for the game. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If people are ok with free win then yes.

they'll skate around Myers making a fool out of him. Rather have Tanev and his smarts and skating vs their speedy soft forwards.

I would not cry if we got Myers but he's a huge risk. If this team was genuinely rebuilding it'd be worth a punt.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I love the $2m part for this year but the 1 year part scares me.

I fear bad blood might be building up.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Myers is a fantastic project to take on, but not one worth moving a core asset for.

Trading Tanev on a gamble (or period) would be moronic.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Even though he played well under AV and Torts he could bomb with the new coach. I have supreme faith in Tanev but I like this contract. Show me just one more time and you'll get paid.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Perfect contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tanev. But he is really only worth $1.5M. The only reason it is $2M is because some young guys have gotten inflated contracts. Paying $2.5M on a multi-year would have been reasonable as well, with about a $1M overpayment since if he continues to improve I see him as a Z. Michalek or P. Martin type of player and those types have gotten $4-5M, which is sure to go up if the cap continues to go up.

Things we need to see from him going forward:

-A FULL season. He has yet to put in a whole 80 games. In fact, combined with his AHL games, he has played only 68, 69, 67 and 64 games. Considering the way he plays and his body at present, his durability is suspect.

-Get hit less. He seems to take more hits than anyone else. Partly it's because he's targeted by the other team, but mostly because he holds on to the puck too long. Yes, sometimes he is doing so in order to make a play or because he's put into a bad position by a d-partner but he still has to manage this better. He can't go on in his career getting absolutely smoked every single game.

-Offensive instincts. Stanton almost tied him this year for points, while playing 14:43 compared to Tanev playing 20:44 (and neither got PP time). He has a good outlet first pass but no more so than most of our d-men to be honest. He has shown no real ability to rush it. The few times I saw him on the PP he looked rushed and nervous. I expect him to top out at high 20's or low 30's in points so I am not expecting too much of him, but he has a lot to work on in this area.

-Shot blocking selectivity. Yeah he was a machine last year but he was also responsible for tons of screens. It's not just about automatically falling in front of every shot, he has to be a little bit more selective about what he chooses to try and block.

-Attitude. Honestly, with his rumoured stance last year and his taking a one-year this year, it's obvious he thinks he should already be making $3M. Of course he has been invaluable in certain ways but in terms of longevity and offensive output I feel like he shouldn't be demanding the kind of dollars he seems to think he should.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I love Tanev. But he is really only worth $1.5M.

I love the guy but if he was on another team, I probably wouldn't even notice him. I like this contract. If he plays like he deserves $3+ M next year, then pay him then. I'm getting a little leery of contracts based on what the team hopes the player becomes down the road.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Perfect contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tanev. But he is really only worth $1.5M.

really? look at the contracts given to engelland, stoner... tanev's an rfa and his price is cheaper, but if you had a defence of seven tanevs for 1.5m each youd have the most cost efficient defence in the league by miles

cap is still going up, too.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Edler-Bieksa is one of the most atrocious d pairings.

Edler - Tanev or Sbisa or Corrado it will have to be.

Jeebus, shouldn't you give both these guys a chance to succeed?:amazed:

Two reclamation projects together - with one of them playing on a side he's horrible at (Sbisa)?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Good signing, Tanev was on fire playing Torts system and we have yet to see how he'll do under Willie. I think he'll continue the excellent play and, honestly, Tanev is the kind of player you have to see night in and night out to appreciate. Benning will see this season and he'll get that longterm contract.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Rumours and speculation flying during a brief contract negotiation with Tanev... Easy to see how Kesler gets eaten alive here..

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Perfect contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tanev. But he is really only worth $1.5M. The only reason it is $2M is because some young guys have gotten inflated contracts. Paying $2.5M on a multi-year would have been reasonable as well, with about a $1M overpayment since if he continues to improve I see him as a Z. Michalek or P. Martin type of player and those types have gotten $4-5M, which is sure to go up if the cap continues to go up.

Things we need to see from him going forward:

-A FULL season. He has yet to put in a whole 80 games. In fact, combined with his AHL games, he has played only 68, 69, 67 and 64 games. Considering the way he plays and his body at present, his durability is suspect.

-Get hit less. He seems to take more hits than anyone else. Partly it's because he's targeted by the other team, but mostly because he holds on to the puck too long. Yes, sometimes he is doing so in order to make a play or because he's put into a bad position by a d-partner but he still has to manage this better. He can't go on in his career getting absolutely smoked every single game.

-Offensive instincts. Stanton almost tied him this year for points, while playing 14:43 compared to Tanev playing 20:44 (and neither got PP time). He has a good outlet first pass but no more so than most of our d-men to be honest. He has shown no real ability to rush it. The few times I saw him on the PP he looked rushed and nervous. I expect him to top out at high 20's or low 30's in points so I am not expecting too much of him, but he has a lot to work on in this area.

-Shot blocking selectivity. Yeah he was a machine last year but he was also responsible for tons of screens. It's not just about automatically falling in front of every shot, he has to be a little bit more selective about what he chooses to try and block.

-Attitude. Honestly, with his rumoured stance last year and his taking a one-year this year, it's obvious he thinks he should already be making $3M. Of course he has been invaluable in certain ways but in terms of longevity and offensive output I feel like he shouldn't be demanding the kind of dollars he seems to think he should.

Tanev also needs a much harder shot to be effective at all offensively. At this point, i doubt too many teams will respect his shot from the point. He is a threat @ the slot but he isn't there often enough to make teams worry about his offensively.

That said, whatever he provides offensively is just a bonus. He is great defensively and does it without taking PIMs. He isn't flashy but he doesn't make many mistakes in his own end and every team needs dmans like that. If anything, i would rather he develops his defensively skill (or to be more precise strength) than offensive skills. If he continues to develop into an elite shutdown dman, that will get him paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad