Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
Well we know what he's going to be worth after one more season, if he's worth a 5 yr contract after that.

Plus could be awesome trade bait if there's any validity to us kicking the tires on Myers, unlikely but ya never know.

Trading Tanev in a deal for Myers wouldn't be that big of a step forward, it would be so much better to get Myers while keeping Tanev because the right side would bet set for the next decade. I think Hamhuis would do wonders for Myers game and our top 4 would be balanced. Elder and Tanev need to play together and Tanev needs to be told to take as many chances as he can, Edler has had a rough stretch, but he has shown to be defensively competent as well when not asked to shoulder the offensive burden.

But as far as Tanev goes I think his development is at a crossroads, he has all the fundamentals of defensive hockey and transition mentality locked down, so if the coaching uses him as such that's all he'll be. However if they recognize this and put him in more offensive situations and give him the greenlight to rush knowing that he will get back quickly and be able to cover the defensive side I think he's smart enough to get 40 points with PP time. So I like the 1 year contract because those two paths are worth different contracts, points get you more money.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
So now once (if) we sign Vey at ~$1MM and ship out Sestito and Markstrom we will still have ~$3.5MM in cap space?

Damnnn... Could have got Legwand at his 2x $3MM to fill the #2C void.

Who should we now target Roy/Ribeiro as #2C or a PMD like Del Zotto?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting, good deal.

I am glad it's a short deal. He's been good, but with the amount of punishment he takes I want him to bounce back and have a healthy year. Let's see what we have in a year.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
So now once (if) we sign Vey at ~$1MM and ship out Sestito and Markstrom we will still have ~$3.5MM in cap space?

Benning has said we're done with UFA for the year, although I would love to see Del Zotto here on the cheap, does he shoot right or play the right side decent?

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
40 pt dman? That's going to be hard to reach unless he really improves his offensive game.

Before last year Josi was putting up similar numbers. He also plays with Shea Weber. I think Tanev has 30points this year.

bo2shink*

Is PMD puck misplacing defenceman?

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Benning has said we're done with UFA for the year, although I would love to see Del Zotto here on the cheap, does he shoot right or play the right side decent?

Unfortunately he shoots left and doesn't play either side decent.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Good cap and term. It's not like they were going to give Tanev a five year deal at this point, so good to get this done hassle free.

Would've been nice obviously to have a two-year deal to avoid going through this again next season, but if Tanev keeps trending up at the exponential rate he's shown the past couple years, it should be an easy decision to lock him up long term this time next year.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
40 pt dman? That's going to be hard to reach unless he really improves his offensive game.

I don't see him approaching 15 goals, but he has good vision and I can really see him starting to rack up assists as he gets more opportunities. I liked his passing more than Garrison's last year, as a f/e

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Good signing, and I love the $ amount and that it's only for 1 year.

It's put up time for Tanev this season. Either he displays he can be a top 4 defensive dman or his next contract with the Nucks will have to be a bit of a discount, if he wants a 5 year or so kind of deal.

Here's hoping he continues to develop. I like his presence on our dcorps and he seems to be a good fit for the future.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
Am I correct in assuming one more signing/trade is in the offing? Still a decent amount of cap room available.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Likely Sestito sticks around as 13th foreward. But likely Corrado (as someone pointed out the other day) and Markstorm go to the minors. Still enough to make a decent signing but so little left out there. Might be best to wait to see what's on the waiver wire or even (and there is negative side to this) go with three goalies

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

No. He has 27 career points. He had 6 goals and 12 points last year for a defensive defenseman.

Who are you talking about?

A player with 5 career points and no arbitration rights gets $1M+? :laugh:

I think he was talking about Vey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5