Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tanev definitely played way better than a 2 million dollar defensemen last year, but it's hard to say he really deserves more considering how unproven he still is.

If a guy like Tanev is only deserving of 1.5 million, then screw it, let's trade all our D and replace them with 6 Tanev-level players for 9 million total. I can live with the decrease in point shots.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Tanev definitely played way better than a 2 million dollar defensemen last year, but it's hard to say he really deserves more considering how unproven he still is.

If a guy like Tanev is only deserving of 1.5 million, then screw it, let's trade all our D and replace them with 6 Tanev-level players for 9 million total. I can live with the decrease in point shots.

Hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. We got him for another year for cheap.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I love the guy but if he was on another team, I probably wouldn't even notice him. I like this contract. If he plays like he deserves $3+ M next year, then pay him then. I'm getting a little leery of contracts based on what the team hopes the player becomes down the road.

That's the problem. Guy isn't appreciated enough even by his own fan-base. He's never in the highlight package and his stats don't show up under the main categories so people don't see his value. People love to see Doughty spins and Karlsson coast-to-coasts and don't realize how important actual defense is.

Tanev also needs a much harder shot to be effective at all offensively. At this point, i doubt too many teams will respect his shot from the point. He is a threat @ the slot but he isn't there often enough to make teams worry about his offensively.

You don't need a hard slap-shot to be good offensively. It'd be nice, but it's not necessary. Still, it's a skill that can be practiced and improved upon.

What you do need for sure is to be smart (Tanev is) and get your shots through (Tanev can).

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's the problem. Guy isn't appreciated enough even by his own fan-base. He's never in the highlight package and his stats don't show up under the main categories so people don't see his value. People love to see Doughty spins and Karlsson coast-to-coasts and don't realize how important actual defense is.

You don't need a hard slap-shot to be good offensively. It'd be nice, but it's not necessary. Still, it's a skill that can be practiced and improved upon.

What you do need for sure is to be smart (Tanev is) and get your shots through (Tanev can).

Doughty is miles ahead of Tanev in every single facet of the game. You shouldn't even be bringing up guys like Doughty. Or Karlsonn or Subban (which you did in the other thread). :facepalm:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Doughty is miles ahead of Tanev in every single facet of the game. You shouldn't even be bringing up guys like Doughty. Or Karlsonn or Subban (which you did in the other thread). :facepalm:

i dont understand what he said that was incorrect

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wanted to sign Tanev to a 4-6year deal. Given him 3.5-4M per.. take a bit of a hit this year when we have the cap space, but reap the benefits when we have a better chance at the cup.

Should have done this.

Really don't see the logic of a one year contract. Can only cause problems down the road in my opinion.

Never mind the imbalance we have had with right and left-sided Ds. Tanev can play in the top 4 with an attacking minded partner, he can play in the top 4 as 50% of a shut down pair and he can kill penalties. Every top team need a player like that among their top 4 Ds.

Only "justification" for this is if we offered him 4m x 5 years or something and he refused.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You're reading into something that isn't there, IMO. He's just saying that one player is flashy and appreciated and the other isn't and isn't.

It doesn't suggest anything about Doughty's defense or how good he is, or even how good Tanev is.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Honestly, knowing that he's worth more than that, I say we just be happy we have him for a year at cheap.

exactly! who cares about proving to a bunch of people what Tanev's abilities are. He proves it on the ice.

He is worth more than that but i wouldn't be surprised if the team had him marked against a guy like TJ Brodie in Calgary. Another underrated defenseman that has taken big strides in his game.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You're reading into something that isn't there, IMO. He's just saying that one player is flashy and appreciated and the other isn't and isn't.

It doesn't suggest anything about Doughty's defense or how good he is, or even how good Tanev is.

I wouldn't say that. There does seem to be an implication as to Doughty's defense relative to Tanev's own. Here's the statement:

People love to see Doughty spins and Karlsson coast-to-coasts and don't realize how important actual defense is.

Meaning, Doughty/Karlsson are not also as good at 'actual defense'. When in fact, Doughty is appreciated for being "flashy" alongside being stalwart defensively. I think the statement was worded poorly.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

http://www.extraskater.com/players/shooting?team=van&pos=D

Tanev increased his shot total to a point where it made sense for him to start putting up points. If he keeps getting shots like that he'll keep putting up points. He might not have a bomb but he gets it on net as well as anyone else we have, and more than half of those guys have put up around 40ish points before.

Shot total >>>> Shot power when it comes to putting up points.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Tanev plays defence as well as any young guy in the league. That can be brought up even if he doesn't put up points like those guys.

Tanev plays every bit as good defence as Willie Mitchel. People go on about him and he can't even make a direct pass.

Should have done this.

Really don't see the logic of a one year contract. Can only cause problems down the road in my opinion.

Never mind the imbalance we have had with right and left-sided Ds. Tanev can play in the top 4 with an attacking minded partner, he can play in the top 4 as 50% of a shut down pair and he can kill penalties. Every top team need a player like that among their top 4 Ds.

Only "justification" for this is if we offered him 4m x 5 years or something and he refused.

I prefer making guys earn their contract to paying them for projections. You might miss out on the odd deal but long-term I think you'll do better paying guys for what they've done rather than what they might do.

Last edited:

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't say that. There does seem to be an implication as to Doughty's defense relative to Tanev's own. Here's the statement:

Meaning, Doughty/Karlsson are not also as good at 'actual defense'. When in fact, Doughty is appreciated for being "flashy" alongside being stalwart defensively. I think the statement was worded poorly.

Ya. That's what I thought as well. My bad if that wasn't meant to be implied.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I like the cap,hit.

I like the term (keeps him from getting too comfortable at this stage)

I like the fact that Tanev is openly taking responsibility for proving himself to the new staff.

And I like the fact that he is again working out with Gary Roberts.

Lots to like.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I like the cap,hit.

I like the fact that Tanev is openly taking responsibility for proving himself to the new staff.

Lots to like.

Absolutely. And the part of taking responsibility for his next contract by showing he deserves it this season, also speaks volumes to me. Good move on his part. Solid character decision as well.

shoes

Dec 14, 2008
I like the cap,hit.

Lots to like.

Exactly and if he does prove his worth he can sign with the Canucks long term next year. If he is somehow offended there is still 3 more years of RFA....pretty well a win-win for Tanev and the Canucks. Team might pay, but it will be based on worth.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I would suggest that you might be reading into it too much as well.

"People love to see Doughty spins and Karlsson coast-to-coasts and don't realize how important actual defense is."

Spins/coast-to-coasts are the subject being compared here. This only suggests that Doughty/Karlsson's flashy moves aren't an example of actual defense, not Doughty/Karlsson themselves. The comment doesn't condemn other aspects of either player's games.

In fact, if that comment were about Doughty's flashiness vs. Doughty's underappreciated defensive game, it would apply just as easily.

If I had said "people only pay attention to Chara's physicality and don't realize how important actual positioning/stickwork/defensive IQ is", no-one in their right mind should read that as "Chara has poor positioning/stickwork/defensive IQ".

Could that statement be used as shots against those players if the poster was actually arguing that they were poor defensive players beforehand? Sure, but as an isolated statement, it can't be taken that way, IMO. In fact, I think that the conditioning of hearing this argument used that way often and the negative stigma that Karlsson's defensive game has is simply giving that false impression. I think that's all it is, I don't think it's poorly worded, personally.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Tanev in the same breath as Doughty or Subban or Karlson is asinine and makes me angry. This guy's stalwart defensive game is underrated because their offensive game is obscenely good. Furthermore, these guys drive the puck in offensive situations so much that they're rarely in the position where they have to play defense like Tanev might.

You should feel bad for making the comparison.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev in the same breath as Doughty or Subban or Karlson is asinine and makes me angry. This guy's stalwart defensive game is underrated because their offensive game is obscenely good. Furthermore, these guys drive the puck in offensive situations so much that they're rarely in the position where they have to play defense like Tanev might.

You should feel bad for making the comparison.

See, that sounds like you're saying Karlsson has a "stalwart" defensive game. You can't possibly be saying that can you?
That would be an asinine statement.
Every d-man is going to be in positions where they have to play defence.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
See, that sounds like you're saying Karlsson has a "stalwart" defensive game. You can't possibly be saying that can you?
That would be an asinine statement.
Every d-man is going to be in positions where they have to play defence.

Karlsson is much better at this than his reputation indicates.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

lol.

People love watching Doughty and Karlsson and they make way more money than Tanev for a reason.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
really? look at the contracts given to engelland, stoner... tanev's an rfa and his price is cheaper, but if you had a defence of seven tanevs for 1.5m each youd have the most cost efficient defence in the league by miles

cap is still going up, too.

I already said that a multi-year would have been preferable since his type of player is getting inflated salaries.

However, cap hit comparables (Botch referred to Alzner) have played 2+ FULL seasons. If Tanev had lasted through last year or even the FULL lockout season then yes, I would say that he would be worth another $1M or so because one of the main issues (his durability) would have been somewhat addressed. Engelland is dumb, Stoner I can see given he played a full lockout season.

One other thing ... every time somebody mentions one of these guys, they all outweigh Tanev by 20-30 pounds. The fact he gets hammered on the regular and is very slightly built by defensive defenceman standards is an issue.

All he has to do is play near 80 games, then he can get paid. I don't think that's much to ask.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Should have done this.

Look at it from Tanev's POV. He took the one year contract so he can get to arbitration earlier and get paid. We may have offered him a multi year but he's shown last year that he thinks he should be making $3M a year. So we offered less and he declined in favour of a one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00