Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would suggest that you might be reading into it too much as well.

"People love to see Doughty spins and Karlsson coast-to-coasts and don't realize how important actual defense is."

Spins/coast-to-coasts are the subject being compared here. This only suggests that Doughty/Karlsson's flashy moves aren't an example of actual defense, not Doughty/Karlsson themselves. The comment doesn't condemn other aspects of either player's games.

That could be, but it's not the way everyone will read that statement. The onus is on the presenter to not have it confused in that way.

In fact, if that comment were about Doughty's flashiness vs. Doughty's underappreciated defensive game, it would apply just as easily.

If I had said "people only pay attention to Chara's physicality and don't realize how important actual positioning/stickwork/defensive IQ is", no-one in their right mind should read that as "Chara has poor positioning/stickwork/defensive IQ".

Could that statement be used as shots against those players if the poster was actually arguing that they were poor defensive players beforehand? Sure, but as an isolated statement, it can't be taken that way, IMO. In fact, I think that the conditioning of hearing this argument used that way often and the negative stigma that Karlsson's defensive game has is simply giving that false impression. I think that's all it is, I don't think it's poorly worded, personally.

IMO, it can be taken that way as an isolated statement. The pretext doesn't need to be there in order for it to be taken that way. It may be misinterpretation, conditioning or a stigma, but the sentence itself can be interpreted the way, and it has been.

I guess what I'm saying is that your opinion does not alter the interpretation of that sentence by other posters. That's what's important. To avoid this confusion, it either needs to be worded better, or have context added.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The comparison was never actually made, IMO.

yeah... this. im surprised there was any confusion

anyways, eriksson and doughty both are fantastic defensively because they never have to do it, on account of putting pucks on the opposing team's net

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
also, you dudes are weird

im gonna compare chris tanev to lesser known favourites of mine, bobby orr and nick lidstrom. i think chris probably isn't as good a skater as orr, his last name has more characters and he could learn a lot from orr offensively. what tanev has on him is that he's younger than bobby orr, and that he can still do squats without falling over, clutching his knees in pain

moving onto the Underappreciated Swede (as i call him) i think tanev stacks up worse in every single way, except that tanev is taller and is canadian (which means he probably speaks less languages)

in conclusion,

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
However, cap hit comparables (Botch referred to Alzner) have played 2+ FULL seasons. If Tanev had lasted through last year or even the FULL lockout season then yes, I would say that he would be worth another $1M or so because one of the main issues (his durability) would have been somewhat addressed. Engelland is dumb, Stoner I can see given he played a full lockout season.

im not even sure clayton stoner is an nhl calibre defenceman. this dude got what, 13 minutes a night on the minnesota wild while often getting scratched? this is a team that's squeezing two defencemen out of ryan suter

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
I really hope they hang on to Tanev.

Last year I called him taking a big step forward. I make the same prediction this year.

If Willie's system results in the team's offence returning to form somewhat.... I predict Tanev may put up around 30 points with some PP2 time.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
also, you dudes are weird

im gonna compare chris tanev to lesser known favourites of mine, bobby orr and nick lidstrom. i think chris probably isn't as good a skater as orr, his last name has more characters and he could learn a lot from orr offensively. what tanev has on him is that he's younger than bobby orr, and that he can still do squats without falling over, clutching his knees in pain

moving onto the Underappreciated Swede (as i call him) i think tanev stacks up worse in every single way, except that tanev is taller and is canadian (which means he probably speaks less languages)

in conclusion,

:laugh::laugh:

You forgot to mention that Orr was simply a product of the Boston Model.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
With respect to the contract, I'm a little disappointed they had to settle for a 1 year bridge deal. It does indicate that the sides are quite a ways apart on a longer term deal and that Tanev could become very expensive next season. It's not like our cap situation is going to be a lot different next year - we have no large expiring veteran contacts.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That could be, but it's not the way everyone will read that statement. The onus is on the presenter to not have it confused in that way.

IMO, it can be taken that way as an isolated statement. The pretext doesn't need to be there in order for it to be taken that way. It may be misinterpretation, conditioning or a stigma, but the sentence itself can be interpreted the way, and it has been.

I guess what I'm saying is that your opinion does not alter the interpretation of that sentence by other posters. That's what's important. To avoid this confusion, it either needs to be worded better, or have context added.
I disagree. The onous is on the reader not to jump to unwarranted conclusions based on stigma and conditioning, when nothing in what is being said actually specifically suggests it. If they're skeptical about what the intent of it is, instead of jumping the gun, they should raise the question instead of ranting and raving about how appalling it is. This is not an unreasonable expectation on the readers part, where it IS unfair and unreasonable to go "Oh, the poster should have predicted that people could misinterpret his comment and remove all doubt ahead of time. His fault", IMO.

It may be most ideal to do so, but it's not the writer's job to ward off conditioning and stigma-- Frankly that sounds unnecessarily tedious unless you expect people to react to it that way (which obviously wasn't the case).

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
yeah... this. im surprised there was any confusion

anyways, eriksson and doughty both are fantastic defensively because they never have to do it, on account of putting pucks on the opposing team's net
I think Doughty's fantastic defensively because he's fantastic defensively.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I really hope they hang on to Tanev.

Last year I called him taking a big step forward. I make the same prediction this year.

If Willie's system results in the team's offence returning to form somewhat.... I predict Tanev may put up around 30 points with some PP2 time.

I'm wondering how Tanev's defense will be affected by WD's more offensive style. But at the same time, I hope it does allow him to expand his offensive abilities.

Tanev is a good passer, and while his shot is more often a wrister than a rocket, he's great at actually getting the pucks on net.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
In regards to taking too much punishment on a nightly basis something to consider is how Tanev's physical stature has forced him to adapt in order to even play (always small and basically no hockey between 16 and 18 because of it). Part of what we rave about is his puck retrieval and first pass and much of what we see today is based on how he has learned to adapt and take a hit.

Tanev always looks as if he is calculating the best way to approach a situation, regardless of how rushed he is and a huge part of that is assessing what angle he has to take to out-smart the opposition at that moment. To me it looks like he adjusts his angles of his body to best absorb the hit and come away with the puck. He obv gets pasted now and then, but most times he has predicted correctly exactly where the most force of the impact is coming from, or even changed it to his liking so that he can use it to his advantage. Either way, he is in control of the situation way more times than not.

As a result he seems to get hit a lot, but that is his plan and consequently it can look worse than it is. His hockey IQ is exceptional and I think this is the best example of it in use. Imo he focused on this aspect the most as a very small kid, just to stay alive and as he starts get stronger (Gary Roberts) he will gain more confidence in his own body and continue to improve.

Kinda convoluted, hopefully that makes at least a little sense!

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
In regards to taking too much punishment on a nightly basis something to consider is how Tanev's physical stature has forced him to adapt in order to even play (always small and basically no hockey between 16 and 18 because of it). Part of what we rave about is his puck retrieval and first pass and much of what we see today is based on how he has learned to adapt and take a hit.

Tanev always looks as if he is calculating the best way to approach a situation, regardless of how rushed he is and a huge part of that is assessing what angle he has to take to out-smart the opposition at that moment. To me it looks like he adjusts his angles of his body to best absorb the hit and come away with the puck. He obv gets pasted now and then, but most times he has predicted correctly exactly where the most force of the impact is coming from, or even changed it to his liking so that he can use it to his advantage. Either way, he is in control of the situation way more times than not.

As a result he seems to get hit a lot, but that is his plan and consequently it can look worse than it is. His hockey IQ is exceptional and I think this is the best example of it in use. Imo he focused on this aspect the most as a very small kid, just to stay alive and as he starts get stronger (Gary Roberts) he will gain more confidence in his own body and continue to improve.

Kinda convoluted, hopefully that makes at least a little sense!

I think Tanev takes hits like a drunk guy falling down the stairs. They don't get badly hurt because they don't tense up. He's like Gumby. He gets plastered because he doesn't really try to absorb hits. Just relaxes, gets pasted, and jumps back up, uninjured. It looks terrible, but seems to work for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad