Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 1-Year, $2M Deal

May 31, 2006
Tanev is going to take another big step next season, and we're going to be in a worse negotiating position next summer.

Should have signed him to a long term deal at 4m+. Guy is going to get paid the big bucks anyway.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure Benning is sold on what Tanev brings. I'm personally happy to have him back. I think he's a solid top 5 defender who can eat minutes, even if he doesn't play a very splashy style.

I think Benning wants to see if this guy has any offence in him before he signs him long term.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
1 year is good, can negotiate long term as an RFA if he continues to grow. A 2 year contract and he's a lot harder to get signed long term as an UFA.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Tanev is going to take another big step next season, and we're going to be in a worse negotiating position next summer.

Should have signed him to a long term deal at 4m+. Guy is going to get paid the big bucks anyway.

If he takes a big step then that is great for the team. He isn't a UFA until 2017, that is when Hamhuis and Bieksa's contracts expire. If he can put up numbers that is comparable to other 4+Mil defencemen then the team is on great shape going forward.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

Well we know what he's going to be worth after one more season, if he's worth a 5 yr contract after that.

Plus could be awesome trade bait if there's any validity to us kicking the tires on Myers, unlikely but ya never know.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I'm glad he's signed. He is my favourite d-man on the Canucks. I actually appreciate defense when I watch him play. I can't say the same thing about some of the other d-men on this team.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
2mil is probably par on the course here. Maybe 2.5 is what he's actually worth.

He'll have another season to prove himself and I guess we'll see where it goes from there.

There's no place in the universe he's worth 4mil

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I really would have preferred a long term deal. I'd have no problem giving Tanev a NTC (I know no one wants to see that.. but Tanev's on ice value is >> his trade value, imo)

We'll see what they do with the extra cap space.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
2mil is probably par on the course here. Maybe 2.5 is what he's actually worth.

He'll have another season to prove himself and I guess we'll see where it goes from there.

There's no place in the universe he's worth 4mil

Roman Josi is a player who I can see Tanev mirroring in quite a few ways.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I really would have preferred a long term deal. I'd have no problem giving Tanev a NTC (I know no one wants to see that.. but Tanev's on ice value is >> his trade value, imo)

I believe Tanev is too young to have a NTC.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011

1yr deal puts the ball in Tanev's court. If he can improve then we pay him more, which is a win-win. Nice incentive for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad