Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 7-3 To Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not buying the additional travel excuse one bit, especially given how this North division schedule/COVID schedule works.

They are playing a baseball style schedule. They are posting up in the same road city for multiple days at a time and the amount of travel legs, i.e packing, busing to airport, clearing customs, flight, bussing to hotel is significantly reduced.

In any other year a 4 games in 6 nights requires 4 travel legs including traveling between a back-to-back. On this stint they went WPG to MTL, then MTL to TOR. Effectively half the travel.

this. I'm not buying this either, because are technically early in the season, if it's like game 55 of the season and we are in a mist of a 4 games in 6 nights, ok, "maybe" its a valid excuse but right now it's absolutely not.

Canucks win percentage is currently 429. This is the 4th lowest win percentage in the entire NHL boys and girls. We are only ahead of the Senators, Redwings, (2 teams that were going to suck) and the San Jose Sharks, who I think will do better then us. We are in for a rough ride, fellow Canuck fans better get comfortable. It's going to be a long ride. expect us to finish in the bottom 4.

Reactions: Makar27

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If we had injuries then that would be the excuse. Travel is all that is left as a shield for management. That narrative is going to start getting pushed hard over the next while.

Reactions: David71

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If Aquilini cheaps out and doesn't fire Benning until end of season, I hope he at least prevents him from making any trades. I'd imagine Benning will do anything to try to keep his job. This is probably his last chance at being GM. No Pres of Hockey Ops is going to hire someone who stabs you in the back (after you put yourself on the line for his contract renewal earlier), especially one who has done so poorly at his job.

Reactions: pomorick

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The schedule is not some mystery or surprise. They knew what it was months ago. There should have been a plan. Spell off your Sutters and Roussels with Baileys and Michaelises. Sit an Edler for one of the predictable Ottawa blowouts.

Instead Edler somehow played his 2nd highest TOI of the season in a 7-1 blowout in the 3rd Ottawa game and Green hasn’t rested a single 30+ veteran a single time this year.

No shit they’re probably tired. But they have nobody to blame but themselves. You think a team like TB wouldn’t have had a plan to get through a stretch like this? Just another example of a clueless organization from the top down.

Have you checked out the taxi turnstiles many of the NHL teams have been operating? Check out TSN Hockey transactions. Go back 7 days on their calendar and Scroll down through those last 7 days. Look at the huge number of transactions between the team rosters and the Taxi squads. Look at the repeated moves by teams of up to 5 or 6 players or more at a time from day to day. Check out the number of times Vancouver shows up on any of the daily transactions. You'll get your answer as to why the Canucks are so tired while the rest of the league seems to have figured out a way to rotate through the taxi squad and their scratches in order to rest some players and try to keep their teams as fresh as they feel they need to.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not buying the additional travel excuse one bit, especially given how this North division schedule/COVID schedule works.

They are playing a baseball style schedule. They are posting up in the same road city for multiple days at a time and the amount of travel legs, i.e packing, busing to airport, clearing customs, flight, bussing to hotel is significantly reduced.

In any other year a 4 games in 6 nights requires 4 travel legs including traveling between a back-to-back. On this stint they went WPG to MTL, then MTL to TOR. Effectively half the travel.
The additional travel itself isnt huge,...but playing 4 out of 6 nights, in 3 different cities could conceivably have them out of gas in this game..?..Are there any other North Division teams that are playing 4 road games in 6 nights in 3 different cities ?

Once again, this does not apply to the first 3 games on this trip..no excuses there.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Fire them, fire them both now!!!

png-0621s-nhldraft-093-e1561417279136-20201007jpg_large

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
What a shameful showing.

I had a dream Pete asked for a trade and ended up being traded for Marchand. I thew up while asleep.

I wouldn't even be shocked this point though.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think EP , QH and BB wont re-sign in this dump anyways when they can bolt, they will

I called it back in 2019 that this team would likely be forced into another rebuild. Boeser, Horvat and Miller may realistically be pieces that the next GM may have to move out due to age or pending UFA status.

Prospect pool is bare and there's too many key deficiencies in the roster.

Reactions: supercanuck

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
i dont agree about all the rukus about not keeping tanev and markstrom. if we had them we would still be doing mediocre but cept have those guys locked up to long term overpriced deals when they are old. remember that vegas series, canucks outplayed like ive never seen an NHL dominated. that would be cancer ontop of the already bad contracts. so we would be doing a bit better this year and then in a few years be more f***ed... i would focus more on the tofoli trade being really bad. we gave up a lot for nothing. and even if we kept him lets be real he wouldnt be great he floats around and gets goals easily. we need more guys that can make good plays not an executer like him.

i say go even farther and trade miller for some good prospect or what we can get from draft picks

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
This is basically a completely healthy team. I can't imagine how bad it gets if this team lost a key player. He was bad tonight, but what if Demko misses time?
I think the team might improve sadly if you had a rash of injuries. You would have hungry players which would be an improvement on half the roster. Nevermind other teams putting their guard down.

I actually wouldn’t mind if half of Saturday’s roster was made up of Utica players. Going to get blown out anyways but at least you can be at peace with it.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The additional travel itself isnt huge,...but playing 4 out of 6 nights, in 3 different cities could conceivably have them out of gas in this game..?..Are there any other North Division teams that are playing 4 road games in 6 nights in 3 different cities ?

Once again, this does not apply to the first 3 games on this trip..no excuses there.

You might have a point if they hadn’t been making the same mistakes all season. It’s kinda hard to blame fatigue when the mistakes have been happening all year.

and their travel between montreal and Toronto is an one hour flight on a chartered airplane at most

it’s what a 5-3 game instead of there’s no fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad