Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 7-3 To Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
There's no way the Canucks are this bad. The Canucks have no legs whatsoever, and guys are just skating around them like they are nothing, so I have to think the schedule has had a huge effect on them.

Tonight was their 14th game in 23 nights. They have done the 3 games in 4 nights thing 4 times already, in just over 3 weeks of the season. Everybody else in the division except Edmonton has played 3 games less, which may not look like a lot, but if the Canucks play 3 less games, they get 1- 3 day break, and 2 - 2 day breaks. They have not had more than 1 day off in a row since the start of the season.
I agree with this, the schedule is killing the young players. However, they played like crap from game 2, with exception for the games vs Sens and Jets.

It is more to this than the schedule but the schedule might be the reason they cant snap out of it.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
With so many games Green should give those young stars days off and plug in people who are fresh. Even if the deapth isn't the best, running your core players to the ground cant be the answer.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I've never seen a player openly and blatantly quit like J.T Miller. Pretty bad, showing his true colors. You see that in Junior B, you shouldn't see it at any higher of level hockey
And his excuse was bullshit. “I thought I was playing left side D.” Sure he said it was his fault but in that situation how do you think that? Well you think that if you’ve checked out. 3 minutes into the game and he was checked out.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I am beginning to repeat myself...... but this season shouldn't be only about wins and losses, but the development of a young supporting cast. Management and coaching staff should very well be scrutinised, but for the lack of plans for this transition. To be fair, maybe we just aren't the Sens who can play without the baggage of expectations. And everyone of us, players and the fans, need time to adjust. But I would like to actually see parts of a plan. I don't. At the very least, the players should show energy. Yikes.
Sorry but development?

Its like year 7 my dude.

Development was year 1-4.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
And his excuse was bullshit. “I thought I was playing left side D.” Sure he said it was his fault but in that situation how do you think that? Well you think that if you’ve checked out. 3 minutes into the game and he was checked out.
Both him and Pettersson have checked out.

Now I am open to the idea that maybe Miller is rubbing off on Pettersson.

But based on Pettersson comments regarding Toffoli and saying he was a key piece and Millers suggesting that he wasnt sure what management was doing after the summer I suspect they are checking out because, well, Benning is permanently checked out.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Miller and Horvat are 50% done their careers so...

Actually Miller has been in NHL 11 years now, hes not going another 11. Hes likely got maybe 4-5 years left, and Horvat is 7 years in, assuming he plays 15 years in the league, hes halfway there.

These arent the guys we are winning a cup with, we arent in the next 10 year window.
JT started playing in the NHL when he was 16? Lmao what are you smoking

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Have you checked out the taxi turnstiles many of the NHL teams have been operating? Check out TSN Hockey transactions. Go back 7 days on their calendar and Scroll down through those last 7 days. Look at the huge number of transactions between the team rosters and the Taxi squads. Look at the repeated moves by teams of up to 5 or 6 players or more at a time from day to day. Check out the number of times Vancouver shows up on any of the daily transactions. You'll get your answer as to why the Canucks are so tired while the rest of the league seems to have figured out a way to rotate through the taxi squad and their scratches in order to rest some players and try to keep their teams as fresh as they feel they need to.
Even worse BG is how often the Canucks have played and they still didnt UTILIZE the taxi squad thing

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
You just know we are gonna win 4-3 Saturday and it’ll be all terrible goals by the terrible signings.
Wheres that docced up photo of the 4th liners all wearing 99 when Bennings job is on the line :laugh:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Jason Spezza has 8 points in 10 games and he barely gets ice-time. I don't know if our bottom 6 sucks or if he's having an amazing year. We need to upgrade the bottom 6 if that's what Toronto is bringing to the table.
Spezza is really good, just old now. He's happy and committed to being a cheap bottom 6er still playing near 40 in his hometown.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
We are reaching epic levels of suckiness.............enough is enough.

I literally have no life atm and don't even want to tune in to what should be my one source of joy in this bleak and barren world of ours................that's how absolute SHITTTE our team looks.

I am starting to think anything good that happened to us was a mirage - from any success last year (Markstrom standing on his head on a nightly basis) to our bubble win over StL. (Binnington stinking it up bad).

Another 7-14 days of this level of suckiness and something has to give..........you would think right?

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Have you checked out the taxi turnstiles many of the NHL teams have been operating? Check out TSN Hockey transactions. Go back 7 days on their calendar and Scroll down through those last 7 days. Look at the huge number of transactions between the team rosters and the Taxi squads. Look at the repeated moves by teams of up to 5 or 6 players or more at a time from day to day. Check out the number of times Vancouver shows up on any of the daily transactions. You'll get your answer as to why the Canucks are so tired while the rest of the league seems to have figured out a way to rotate through the taxi squad and their scratches in order to rest some players and try to keep their teams as fresh as they feel they need to.

Exactly. This is the type of basic plan that many other teams are employing and somehow the team with the most busy schedule haven't. Tired, stale, old.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Both him and Pettersson have checked out.

Now I am open to the idea that maybe Miller is rubbing off on Pettersson.

But based on Pettersson comments regarding Toffoli and saying he was a key piece and Millers suggesting that he wasnt sure what management was doing after the summer I suspect they are checking out because, well, Benning is permanently checked out.

Aquilini needs to step in now. If your top players are checking out, you figure out what happened and either fire the GM or trade the problem player(s). I find it hard to reconcile the current Miller/EP effort levels with what we saw last season.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I thought we hit rock bottom against the Habs, getting lit up by ex-Canuck Toffoli and allowing 5+ goals against every time we play them. Nowhere to go but up right? Wrong! We let a guy who was on waiver recently score a hat trick against us. A 40 year old way-past-his-prime Spezza who is playing 4th line.
I can't even pretend this really is rock bottom because the team always find a way to surprise me.
Watching how joyless Petey is on the ice is pretty sad. The dude was all smile all the time in his first couple season, now he looks like a kid in the dentist office everytime he steps on the ice.
Horvat is in a tough spot too, how to you rally the troops and get them to band together when the room seems to be so fractured? The guys that should be here, like Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli/Stecher, are not here because half the room is severely overpaid and under-perform.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
What's worse is both Hughes and Pettersson lobbied to keep Tanev and Toffoli. How does a GM not even try to accommodate our rising stars? Embarrassing.

Yep! Imagine what Hughes is thinking when he has to play with Myers instead of Tanev. Or EP when Roussel or Sutter gets trotted out on the PP.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Have a feeling the lines are further going to into the blender and some guys that haven't debuted yet will get a chance. A trade might happen. And then the coaches and management are next on the list if the team continues to give up 5-7 goals a night while only scoring 2-4.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
If we're lucky Miller plays like this to change management. That the entire team sucks to shake the higher ups.

I see what you're saying but no, you can not have a player quit on his teammates no matter what. You have to battle for each other, for your teammates. Acting like a baby because they let certain guys go is a slap to the face of the new guys that were brought in, not to mention your other teammates trying to earn $$$. How do you think Petey feels when he's got a life changing contract negotiation coming up and his linemate is literally crying in the backgound, not backchecking, messing up passes, controller disconnected. It's an embarrassing joke and I wouldn't bat an eye if they traded JT ASAP....problem is we have a bunch of Pejorative Slurs running this team and they will likely botch that deal.

You learn not to show up your teammates in friggin Pee-wee.

Again, we were up 6-1 on Ottawa and the guy was yelling, swearing and smashing his stick... No professional does that

DGet rid of him, it's horrible for our young guys

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I see what you're saying but no, you can not have a player quit on his teammates no matter what. You have to battle for each other, for your teammates. Acting like a baby because they let certain guys go is a slap to the face of the new guys that were brought in, not to mention your other teammates trying to earn $$$. How do you think Petey feels when he's got a life changing contract negotiation coming up and his linemate is literally crying in the backgound, not backchecking, messing up passes, controller disconnected. It's an embarrassing joke and I wouldn't bat an eye if they traded JT ASAP....problem is we have a bunch of Pejorative Slurs running this team and they will likely botch that deal.

You learn not to show up your teammates in friggin Pee-wee.

Again, we were up 6-1 on Ottawa and the guy was yelling, swearing and smashing his stick... No professional does that

DGet rid of him, it's horrible for our young guys
I'm starting to think (or at least I hope), Miller is just playing thru an injury (and is just frustrated).

Don't want to think that he's actually healthy and this behavior was one of the reasons why the Bolts felt it was better he was no longer part of that team.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I'm starting to think (or at least I hope), Miller is just playing thru an injury (and is just frustrated).

Don't want to think that he's actually healthy and this behavior was one of the reasons why the Bolts felt it was better he was no longer part of that team.

I do not think injury is a valid excuse, actually no excuse is valid

On the powerplay Hughes took a shot from the point, no traffic,, bad shot yea whatever. Miller was kinda open on his half-wall and he slammed his stick in anger after hughes didn't pass the puck to him. That is exactly what you do NOT want, Hughes double guessing himself when he has the puck on his stick, not wanting to upset a teammates etc. It's horrible leadership, it's just plain horrible all around and I've never been more disgusted with a players actions and effort level.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I do not think injury is a valid excuse, actually no excuse is valid

On the powerplay Hughes took a shot from the point, no traffic,, bad shot yea whatever. Miller was kinda open on his half-wall and he slammed his stick in anger after hughes didn't pass the puck to him. That is exactly what you do NOT want, Hughes double guessing himself when he has the puck on his stick, not wanting to upset a teammates etc. It's horrible leadership, it's just plain horrible all around and I've never been more disgusted with a players actions and effort level.
As I said, I don't want to think that he's actually playing fully healthy. Team can't afford the luxory of passengers.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With so many games Green should give those young stars days off and plug in people who are fresh. Even if the deapth isn't the best, running your core players to the ground cant be the answer.
In this schedule, there are no day (s) off..Everybody is in the same boat..Looking at the first line minutes..17-18 minutes a game isnt 'running them into the ground'

Hughes played 16:37 last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad