Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 7-3 To Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Get Mac, Bailey, OJ in there somehow. I don’t really care who they take out (aside from Hog). This lineup needs an injection of energy.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
You might have a point if they hadn’t been making the same mistakes all season. It’s kinda hard to blame fatigue when the mistakes have been happening all year.

and their travel between montreal and Toronto is an one hour flight on a chartered airplane at most

it’s what a 5-3 game instead of there’s no fatigue.
No excuses, tired of the excuse,s .every team has a game schedule like us..Benning and Green need to be fired asap.. The ship has sunk...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
It's just hilarious how this was pretty much expected by a lot of us... Who knew letting go and or replacing your best players with not better players or rookies would've caused this lol.
In all honesty I thought this team would play better than it is now (and I think it still has the capability to) but I am not gonna miss a good opportunity to clean house lmao

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In all honesty I thought this team would play better than it is now (and I think it still has the capability to) but I am not gonna miss a good opportunity to clean house lmao
I think a lot of people thought the same thing, after their play in the bubble.

But when you look at last season in totality, it's entirely possible that the way the Canucks were trending last March they'd have missed the playoffs for a fifth straight season. Losers of 7 of their last 10 games, the Canucks were without both Markstrom and Tanev. And you can see what they are this season without them at all.

So if it hadn't been for the Pandemic, we might be having a totally different (and more realistic) assessment of this team. They're just not very good.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
I am beginning to repeat myself...... but this season shouldn't be only about wins and losses, but the development of a young supporting cast. Management and coaching staff should very well be scrutinised, but for the lack of plans for this transition. To be fair, maybe we just aren't the Sens who can play without the baggage of expectations. And everyone of us, players and the fans, need time to adjust. But I would like to actually see parts of a plan. I don't. At the very least, the players should show energy. Yikes.

Reactions: mossey3535

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If we lose 2-1 on Saturday, that'll be all it takes for Benning to be on firm ground again. The narrative will be that we're trending in the right direction with a gritty, close loss rather than another blow out.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
And Patterson is one of the main culprits. He knows his job security hinges on keeping the fanbase's belief stoked, even if it's totally reasonable to check out on where this team is currently at.
JPat was an insufferable prick even in the 2011 days. Perhaps it's a radio persona, but it seems like he's the guy who would shit all over
the 80's Oilers for not winning enough cups. He is incapable of saying something is good without a deflating qualification. That said, he's perfect for covering a bad team like we are now. Too bad his doom and gloom bullshit is the boy who cried wolf at this point now that it actually applies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I called it back in 2019 that this team would likely be forced into another rebuild. Boeser, Horvat and Miller may realistically be pieces that the next GM may have to move out due to age or pending UFA status.

Prospect pool is bare and there's too many key deficiencies in the roster.

Miller and Horvat are 50% done their careers so...

Actually Miller has been in NHL 11 years now, hes not going another 11. Hes likely got maybe 4-5 years left, and Horvat is 7 years in, assuming he plays 15 years in the league, hes halfway there.

These arent the guys we are winning a cup with, we arent in the next 10 year window.

Reactions: racerjoe

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
"Benning was smart to not sign Marky and Tanev because we couldn't afford them"
"6Million for Myers is market value"
"Toffoli was just a flat cap casualty"
"I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the incompetent contract decisions"
"Previously signed contracts do not have anything to do with current cap constraints"
"Retroactive punishment for an approved contract is totally fine"
"It's not our fault we agreed to be punished for rules that didn't exist at the time"
"Building a team is like NHL20 because you can just quit and restart whenever you want"
"Some of these quotes aren't literal, but they convey the denial based rationalization that got us here"
"Mike Gillis assembled one of the greatest NHL teams in modern history and was fired because his boss didn't understand the cyclical nature of sport"
"I don't care if the team was amazing, the draft picks didn't pan out so Gillis was a failure"

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
get rid of salary cap it makes our team worse and makes the NHL less entertaining when certain teams cant compete because they are stuck with bad contracts. the sport should be FUN not wait years to hope to have a good team because the timing is right. its hard enough to get good players let alone a situation where you can get some young good players on entry contracts and no old plugs taking up the salary cap. the nhl would be better if it had fewer teams but every team was very good and fast

Reactions: Pyrophorus

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't even know what to say anymore.

I watched the whole game, and the Canucks just aren't even close. At the top of the lineup you can see that there might be enough talent to compete if it's organized properly, but past that there's nothing.

No organization, no structure, no point in even going down the lineup.

This is year seven.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How about the time when Wayne Simmonds beat the wheels off of JB8.

Soft , slow, not skilled, bad coach , bad GM....

wtf.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
get rid of salary cap it makes our team worse and makes the NHL less entertaining when certain teams cant compete because they are stuck with bad contracts. the sport should be FUN not wait years to hope to have a good team because the timing is right. its hard enough to get good players let alone a situation where you can get some young good players on entry contracts and no old plugs taking up the salary cap. the nhl would be better if it had fewer teams but every team was very good and fast
Bad management of the salary cap makes our team worse. Whatever the system is, the best team builders make the best teams.

Before the salary cap the NYR used to spend obscene money on whoever was available in FA that year. Much like the Yankees. Bobby Holik made 9.6million in 2002. Never heard of him? I don't blame you. He was good at defence or something.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are 31 teams and they can't all be at the top of the standings. Blame the system if you like, but you're in denial. Your management sucks. You are being sold a false bill of goods.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Benning should be fired but that was already a given.

Travis Green needs to go, he’s the problem here. The Canucks roster is not bottom of the league bad. His coaching problems have been pretty apparent for a while, and now he doesn’t have Vezina caliber goaltending to bail him out.

If Canucks lose two more beatdowns against the leafs I could see him fired almost immediately.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Bad management of the salary cap makes our team worse. Whatever the system is, the best team builders make the best teams.

Before the salary cap the NYR used to spend obscene money on whoever was available in FA that year. Much like the Yankees. Bobby Holik made 9.6million in 2002. Never heard of him? I don't blame you. He was good at defence or something.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are 31 teams and they can't all be at the top of the standings. Blame the system if you like, but you're in denial. Your management sucks. You are being sold a false bill of goods.

im not in denial i know benning sucks. i just dont like how a team gets screwed for years if they sign a bad contract

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
im not in denial i know benning sucks. i just dont like how a team gets screwed for years if they sign a bad contract

You do the crime, you do the time.

He spends money like poisoned water in UFA. Over, and over, and over. Does not learn. One bad contract is arguably defensible, six to eight are not.

Reactions: B-rock

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jason Spezza has 8 points in 10 games and he barely gets ice-time. I don't know if our bottom 6 sucks or if he's having an amazing year. We need to upgrade the bottom 6 if that's what Toronto is bringing to the table.

Reactions: geebaan

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It breaks my heart knowing that universally, all of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli were all seriously upset that they couldn't stay. That they were hardly even approached to stay. That is disrespectful as f***. Just gutless from management, and a fireable offense in of itself. I don't care if you end up keeping those players or not, maybe at the money or term it doesn't work for the core going forward, fine. But f***ing communicate with them and give them some basic respect and decency so they don't feel spat on when they're kicked out the door

This is what made call for Benning's head more than ever before. His handling of our UFAs was downright appalling. Here we have a guy who has given ten years of his career to the Canucks and this moron can't be bothered to offer the courtesy of saying we're going to move on. Instead, he leaves him in complete limbo until the OED deal falls through and then he crawls back with a weak offer out of pure desperation. It says a lot when Tanev says he'll "sleep on it" only to sign with Calgary an hour later.

What's worse is both Hughes and Pettersson lobbied to keep Tanev and Toffoli. How does a GM not even try to accommodate our rising stars? Embarrassing.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Teams were also screwed for years if they signed a bad contract before the cap era. It was just that a select few moneybag teams could try and spend their way out of trouble. Most of the league couldn't do that even without a cap.

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad