Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 7-3 To Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Tell me we have our first round pick this year

For now. Thankfully, I don't think we're going to see Benning resort to any acts of desperation to salvage things because I don't think ownership is going to let him.

But who f***ing knows with this troupe of bozos?

Reactions: B-rock

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
"We've got to get some energy back into our game."

When I read Green's quotes, I often think he is talking about himself.

""The coaches had an off night. The coaches lacked intensity. The coaches have to insert more energy into their game. The coaches came to the rink unprepared to compete tonight."

At 5x5, he played Beagle (30 something) twice as much time as Gaudette (20 something), in a game where they were down by several goals. Which one is more likely to get a goal.

The coach's player deployment is just awful.
man first time I’ve heard some say Gaudette should get MORE ice time...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not gonna sift through the shit sandwich but my god is Gaudette junk this year. That half wall pp were he lost the puck for no apparent reason and his skating....wow talk about falling off a cliff....the Spezza goal was just an exclamation to how poor a player he is what a terrible read...really unfortunate....had some nice momentum for awhile

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Some might call the mandate “a shocking retool”

Many may call it stupid as hell.

Your core players want to win. Is it really worth pissing them off to a point where they sit out and demand trades putting in motion another inevitable rebuild?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What? Jpatt the only one asking tough questions doing his boy Botch proud!!

Seriously, when I read that I was like

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dab

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Complete debacle. Toronto toyed with us. Don't think it's fair, because the real problem is elsewhere, but Green will likely pay the price. Never should have got involved with Benning. Benning will drag everyone into oblivion and you could say much the same about the Aquilinis. Maybe worse day in Canuck history (and there have been many) was the day they took control of the franchise.

Benning should be gone but will probably slither through. Guy knows how to rob the future to hang on to his job and has enough media and somehow fan support to avoid blame.

On the game. Completely one sided. Toronto aided by some shaky goal tending and terrible defensive play took it to us. Checked us into the ice in our end and made us look silly at times.

Good

Hoglander - again like the way he used short burst of energy and speed to create chances. Actually looked more organized in his play than many so called established players. You wonder if his Swedish team might be a little better than the Canucks are right now. Hoglander must be wondering what he's got himself into. Have to hope he maintains his attitude in the face of the chaos around him.

Bad - where to start???

Demko - far too much net showing on many of the goals. Seemed to lose his net at times.

Sutter - sort of epitomized the team. Skate around , make sure you avoid contact, and collet your paycheck. Useless as he commonly is. Foundationally bad.

Virtanen - you see others like Nylander and you get a little crazy. Same old useless Virtanen - how the hell was he not traded. Imagine there were people on this site and others predicting he was easily turning into top 6 material. I just don't understand how people can be that devoid of any sort of realism

Gaudette - is in totally over his head. Is losing any confidence and is getting worse. Doubt he could help Utica at this point (and when he was in Utica - and I watched the games - he was very ordinary) Often sited as glowing example of Benning drafting genius by the Benningites even before he, in any way, proved he could play in the NHL. Proving now that he can't.

Roussel - give him some credit for hustle. But hustle never makes up for lack of ability.

Ugly

Hughes - bounced around at will. Was helpless in taking people around his net and again horrible in one on one coverage. Remember when people were insisting that Hughes was making Tanev look good and without Hughes, Tanev was nothing. Thus who cares if we lost Tanev - and probably Benning did a smart thing there the story went. . Well the verdict is in and Hughes is getting destroyed without Tanev and losing Tanev has be dreadful for the team. Yet, my bet, is that Benning supporters will never admit to this.

Benn - combination of Benn - Hughes was unplayable. They were completely incapable of handling the rush or getting the puck out of their end. Hard to remember a duo as bad as this. Even the hapless Pouliot looked more capable.

Others

Pettersson - team meltdown is causing him to try to do too much by himself. Forcing the play and creating more problems. At times banging in to teammates and creating more confusion. Going down far too easily.

Miller - a good move followed by a bad move. Looks totally frustrated.

Myers - looked awkward as usual but him and Schmidt looked only near competent d-men. Weren't good but okay in comparison to the rest

Chatfield - played well for some extended periods but still very marginal overall. With Hoglander the only bright spots for Canuck fans

Horvat - scored but he isn't playing well enough to stop the bleeding. Looks, at present, like a mediocre player.

Ottawa beats Montreal which again tells you a lot about the Canucks. Right now probably the worst team in the League. And this after years of Benning - and we still have posters singing his praises. Upside down world right now. Bad, I guess, is good.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know I heard him doing a hit on the radio after the Ottawa sweep and he was blowing a lot of smoke.

You need to listen to JPat's words more carefully. He is very careful with what he says.

He is very careful to point out current/immediate positives (eg. the Ott series) without pretending or insinuating that this is where the team is at, or that it will continue.

Compare that to an iMac or a Walks, that go through mental gymnastics making contradictions every couple sentences to defend this team.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
sounds like another drubbing. have had to work during these three games but it sounds like three nails in benning's coffin.

Reactions: m9

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ottawa beats Montreal which again tells you a lot about the Canucks. Right now probably the worst team in the League. And this after years of Benning - and we still have posters singing his praises. Upside down world right now. Bad, I guess, is good.
And tonights history lesson folks:

According to legend, the British army played this music after their surrender (seige of Yorktown) marking the end of the American Revolution.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well, maybe you should have used the expanded rosters and taxi squad to rest some veterans, you muppet.

I know I am the "Ground Hog's Day" movie poster, but I am already on record several times this season with my yearly repetitive message. If you are going to keep rookies in Vancouver play them. Michaelis and Rathbone should be playing every game and practicing with a team going over all game type situations including, but not exclusively, PP, PK, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, etc. You can add DiPietro to that duo as well. He is a 2nd year pro goalie with a total of 38GP, 2 7-goal blowouts in NHL Vancouver and 36 mostly decent games in AHL Utica, 21-11-2. This kid needs to play as well.

This trio has been riding in the Vancouver taxi cab for 14 games, 25% of this season already. It is very poor management to have 3 prospects, whom many feel are top prospects, burn a season of development. Even if they get a handful of starts, it not much different.

DiPietro played his last hockey game on 3/11/20. Rathbone and Michaelis were college players who also had last season cut short. Rathbone 3/7/20 and Michaelis 3/7/20 are in the exact same situation with the date of their last games played. These guys are already behind the 8-ball and
handful of games between now and next October is like having sat out a year and 7 months.That's 19 months without a game. Not gettina a shitload of ice time this season can only hurt their chances.

Move Sautner and Graovac to the taxi cab and get these kids on the ice for serious work from now until May. It can only help them. They would team up with Will Lockwood, Hugh McGing, and Tyler Tucker also college players in 2019-20.

While I'm at it Scott Perunovich, last year's Hobey Baker Award winner is riding in the St.Louis taxi cab after after having been on the original list of 19 players St. Louis sent to Utica. He is in the exact same situation and has yet to see the ice in St Louis during their 11 GP.

If you want kids to develop you have to let them play competitive hockey. Practice is a not even a regular event with NHL teams this season. Their games are too closely scheduled and with travel, they are either on the road or getting much needed rest. Therefore, when these guys do skate it's in their small group of taxi members, recent scratches, and players recovering from injury. It's not even a competitive practice with an NHL team going hard for maybe 45 minutes.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I watched the first game, and looking at how we played, I expected worse. Everything we did flew against what the talking heads were saying we shouldn't do, and in the end, it buried us.

Pry the ghost of Burns out of San Jose, dump our bottom six outside of Beagle, Motte and Mac. Fire the manager and coach. Tank this year, and aim higher next year.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know I heard him doing a hit on the radio after the Ottawa sweep and he was blowing a lot of smoke.

Are you listening to 650 right now?

iMac literally said that anyone who is calling for Green's firing to - and I quote - "give your head a shake."

This is iMac, who has shilled this management group for the last half decade or so to the point that this is what we have.

You know who should give their heads a shake?

That idiot iMac.
That idiot who tweeted Canucks fans owe Benning an apology.
That idiot who claimed the Cancucks were in the best position to end Canada's Cup drought.
The idiots who ranked our prospect pool 6th.
The idiots who voted Benning the 6th best GM after a cinderella playoff run on the backs of once in a lifetime goaltending.
And the idiots who appeal to those idiots as the basis for their defense of this indefensible regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad