Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 7-3 To Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
JT started playing in the NHL when he was 16? Lmao what are you smoking

Sorry, I meant 9 years in the league already. Doesn't change my point that hes likely not playing in the NHL for 18 years...hes on the back 9 now.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
In this schedule, there are no day (s) off..Everybody is in the same boat..Looking at the first line minutes..17-18 minutes a game isnt 'running them into the ground'

Hughes played 16:37 last night.

Hard to play Hughes when he they Canucks are always in the defensive zone.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hard to play Hughes when he they Canucks are always in the defensive zone.
Not really, he 's one of the better players exiting the puck out of our d zone...but he, like a lot of other players on the team are struggling.

I also suspect he's banged up a bit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Miller and Horvat are 50% done their careers so...

Actually Miller has been in NHL 11 years now, hes not going another 11. Hes likely got maybe 4-5 years left, and Horvat is 7 years in, assuming he plays 15 years in the league, hes halfway there.

These arent the guys we are winning a cup with, we arent in the next 10 year window.

That's one reason why I believe that if you have a core that can win the Cup you try to make multiple runs with them. Sitting there being conservative doesn't do anything either. Just look at the Jets. They did a patient draft and develop and squandered away their old core's primes. Now their current core is led by Scheifele who is turning 28 (same year as Miller) and includes Wheeler who is aging well but he's 34. The Lightning, since they won a Cup, is once again considered the model franchise but that model also benefited from #1 overall picks and drafting star players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Miller and Horvat are guys you can win with but it's a team game and you need other good players.

Reactions: Indiana

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Not really, he 's one of the better players exiting the puck out of our d zone...but he, like a lot of other players on the team are struggling.

I also suspect he's banged up a bit.
One of the biggest misreads I had last year was thinking it was Hughes sheltering Tanev with his zone exits and not having him block as many shots. I'm thinking now that Tanev gave Hughes that safety blanket as well to do more offensively without having to worry about the back end.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One of the biggest misreads I had last year was thinking it was Hughes sheltering Tanev with his zone exits and not having him block as many shots. I'm thinking now that Tanev gave Hughes that safety blanket as well to do more offensively without having to worry about the back end.
Agreed, Tanev and Hughes were a compatible duo..Out of the players that were not re signed by Benning, the loss of Tanev is most glaring right now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It breaks my heart knowing that universally, all of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli were all seriously upset that they couldn't stay. That they were hardly even approached to stay. That is disrespectful as f***. Just gutless from management, and a fireable offense in of itself. I don't care if you end up keeping those players or not, maybe at the money or term it doesn't work for the core going forward, fine. But f***ing communicate with them and give them some basic respect and decency so they don't feel spat on when they're kicked out the door

I complained about this in the off-season and was told that they wouldn't be offended at all.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
To be fair though, what depth is there to use on the taxi squad? Baertschi up front maybe. But what reliable pieces do we have that you can swap on the defence? Green already doesn't trust OJ which is clear from Chatfield playing so much despite tons of mistakes (which I wouldn't mind on a development level but this isn't a development attempt by this club).

Reactions: timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be fair though, what depth is there to use on the taxi squad? Baertschi up front maybe. But what reliable pieces do we have that you can swap on the defence? Green already doesn't trust OJ which is clear from Chatfield playing so much despite tons of mistakes (which I wouldn't mind on a development level but this isn't a development attempt by this club).

It's almost like other teams planned for this! And have guys like Corey Perry and Nic Petan dropping in off the taxi squad to have huge games against us.

The value of having a guy like Ron Hainsey to spell off some of our 30+ defenders would have been immense.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Holy smokes. TMZ and Ice T (the rapper guy) are tweeting about the beating Jordie Benn took lol. This is crazy concerning how low hockey is on the USA radar. We made their news again! For something not good, again!
Lowest time in recent history

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Holy smokes. TMZ and Ice T (the rapper guy) are tweeting about the beating Jordie Benn took lol. This is crazy concerning how low hockey is on the USA radar. We made their news again! For something not good, again!

Made me watch Gudbranson intimidate Corey Perry.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

You mean the beating his helmet took ??
Obviously Ice hasn't seen many hockey fights if thought that was a beating.
Something not good ?? He stood in against a pretty tough guy after Quinn took a big hit. Probably meaningless but not a negative (unlike just about everything else in that game).

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have a feeling the lines are further going to into the blender and some guys that haven't debuted yet will get a chance. A trade might happen. And then the coaches and management are next on the list if the team continues to give up 5-7 goals a night while only scoring 2-4.
I dont think its going to make much difference ..If the goaltending is good, the top 6 doesnt show up..If the top 6 shows up, the D and goaltending let them down...rinse,repeat.

I can count on 2 fingers (maybe 3) the amount of times this season, the team has been firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: Luckylarry

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I dont think its going to make much difference ..If the goaltending is good, the top 6 doesnt show up..If the top 6 shows up, the D and goaltending let them down...rinse,repeat.

I can count on 2 fingers (maybe 3) the amount of times this season, the team has been firing on all cylinders.

1 game. The WPG game and maybe the first Oilers game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Eriksson likely drawing in tomorrow. Rather fitting that this game can seal Jim Bennings fate.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s a strange impact that taking a beating standing up for a teammate can have on a hockey team. Don’t be too shocked if the Canucks play their best game of the year Saturday, and win.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It’s a strange impact that taking a beating standing up for a teammate can have on a hockey team. Don’t be too shocked if the Canucks play their best game of the year Saturday, and win.

If they win on Saturday it’s not because Simmonds beat the wheels off of Benn. It will be because of the law of averages. We aren’t going to lose every game. We are due to win one and then go back to the norm. We are due.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Eriksson likely drawing in tomorrow. Rather fitting that this game can seal Jim Bennings fate.

Lol. Based on what? What makes you think THIS game is the make or break. It’s been 7 years and worse slumps than this. We lose Saturday, and he’s still our GM.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If they win on Saturday it’s not because Simmonds beat the wheels off of Benn. It will be because of the law of averages. We aren’t going to lose every game. We are due to win one and then go back to the norm. We are due.
I fully expect another beatdown. 8-2 Leafs. But if we do play a really good game, then I’d attribute the much improved play to Benn standing up.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
A loss would be for the greater good. After this off-season of mishaps it's clear that the sooner this management team is gone, the better we'll be. We have the core pieces, just need a good gm to get it together.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree with this, the schedule is killing the young players. However, they played like crap from game 2, with exception for the games vs Sens and Jets.

It is more to this than the schedule but the schedule might be the reason they cant snap out of it.
I don't want to blame the schedule because all the teams are pretty much having to endure the same thing...However, last night Green said his team had 'no energy '..after playing 4 games in 6 nights, in 3 different cities...It might be plausible.?..it could be a possibility?
Yet, according to some here,.. the whole team playing like shit to get the GM fired is a distinct possibility...?

Go figure.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If we had injuries then that would be the excuse. Travel is all that is left as a shield for management. That narrative is going to start getting pushed hard over the next while.
Narrative is starting to pick up steam. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad