Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 6-1 (Rafferty, Beagle, Baertschi, Jasek, Horvat, Gaudette)

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I'm really, really excited about these pairings of Miller & Horvat, Pettersson & Boeser. They just need half decent production from Ferland and Pearson to round out a very respectable Top 6 that can do some damage.

I think of Podkolzin on this team two years from now and salivate. If he lives up to potential...damn!

Definitely less confident about the bottom 6 and defence though:p

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
My first real Brisbious shift I've watched this season
Is it just an outlier or can he just not transition the puck
No he does not play a heads up game in transition at all, it is disappointing because I believe he has good line control and solid in the defensive zone at puck retrievals and good stick work

EDIT: Also Markstrom looks fantastic tonight. Between Demko's performance last game, and Markstrom looking like he is keeping in the form he showed to end last year, our goaltender is going to be solid this season

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really like bris tonight
made a nice play on the power play
I thought he’s been very solid defensively as well

Reactions: DL44

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Gaudette stays and I feel like Green wants him to stay as well. Just hope Benning can swing a trade for Sutter.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Nice showing for Gaudette. Have to think Green was laughing at the over-celly in a 6-1 game in the dying minutes.

Hard not to like the Miller/Horvat duo going into this season. Miller is known for being a big body that can skate and has a heavy shot, but it's his hockey IQ that has really stood out thus far. Good chemistry early from a couple guys that are playing off one another well.

Brogan Rafferty has exceeded expectations thus far. His confidence is impressive for a guy with virtually no pro experience. Not sure if he has an NHL career ahead of him, but he's done enough to keep the door open for some potential ice this season.

Nice start for Markstrom. Played a quiet, steady game.

The biggest takeaway through the pre-season for me is the upgraded 2nd line. Horvat is coming off a 30-30 season playing with poor wingers and in front of a defense that couldn't move the puck. Look forward to watching him and Miller continue to build chemistry. Tanner Pearson as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That Oilers team was probably the worst roster I’ve ever seen dressed for a home preseason game. Yikes. Also Keegan Lowe is just craptastic.

- Horvat was outstanding and showed real high-end skill. No worries there. Miller was decent. Baertschi was basically a ghost except for the finish on his PP goal.

- Motte-Beagle-Schaller line had a nice night and all 3 guys did some excellent PK work. Schaller played maybe his best game ever but surely will still be cut.

- Eriksson played?

- best news was that Gaudette looked so much better. Skated well, looked more confident, got several looks at net and a much-needed goal.

- Bailey can surely be cut now.

- Jasek was a bit better and scored a weak goal. A bit more energy tonight. Still is surely in the next round of cuts. Same with Ferraro.

- Tanev was a rock but was forced to be the puck-moving guy too often due to Brisebois’ struggles in that regard.

- Stecher and Benn were ... ok. Have seen Stecher skate a lot better than that.

- Rafferty has a good game. Scored early goal, gave it immediately back with a bad turnover. Defensively is a bit of a mess but is trying to make things happen and has good IQ offensively.

- Fantenberg did not inspire confidence.

- Markstrom was a rock and never looked like giving the Oilers anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad