Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 6-1 (Rafferty, Beagle, Baertschi, Jasek, Horvat, Gaudette)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I thought jordie benn played like luke schenn, but after a few games, I don't see much compatibles.
Which is kinda disappointing, I developed a man crush on schenn

schenn stood out with his static style.

benn is kind of modern mostly invisible generic competent. i think he is better known for his name and beard than his hockey, which is not a criticism. he's not flashy and he does not seem to be in the pizza delivery business.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah he's clearly no Selke candidate; but that doesn't mean he isn't an above average typical 3C (and IMHO, he is). I'm willing to give him a 'mulligan' for last season.

sutter is above average at most things. he'd a be a top player if he had some vision.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah he's clearly no Selke candidate; but that doesn't mean he isn't an above average typical 3C (and IMHO, he is). I'm willing to give him a 'mulligan' for last season.

The concern with Sutter right now is his motor and the way he tracks the play defensively, which used to be his biggest strength.

Like, when the play turns around in transition toward our end, watch him. Way too often now is the last guy back, lagging behind the play.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Marky.. solid.. was concerned he stayed down in the v-h (or reverse v-h whatever) position while the puck was in the corner.... after listening to Woodley's critiques of Demko, I was watching for it... didn't cost him tho..

I've been talking about this for like 5 years, since as far back as Miller. He was lazy too.

Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
sutter is above average at most things. he'd a be a top player if he had some vision.
Posters do realize that for much of the last two seasons, the Canucks have basically had to without Brandon Sutter. And even when he was in the lineup it was obvious he was struggling through some kind of serious 'lower body injury'.

So it's baffling to me now, how Sutter goes from being a guy the Canucks have learned to live without, to a guy who's now 'essential' for third line stability. If he's finally healthy, trade him while there's a short window opening. Gaudette is ready for the Show. And J.T. Miller can drop down the lineup if necessary.

Do it Jimbo! Gudbranson was the first 'foundational piece' to be moved. Now it's time for the second one.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Posters do realize that for much of the last two seasons, the Canucks have basically had to without Brandon Sutter. And even when he was in the lineup it was obvious he was struggling through some kind of serious 'lower body injury'.

So it's baffling to me now, how Sutter goes from being a guy the Canucks have learned to live without, to a guy who's now 'essential' for third line stability. If he's finally healthy, trade him while there's a short window opening. Gaudette is ready for the Show. And J.T. Miller can drop down the lineup if necessary.

Do it Jimbo! Gudbranson was the first 'foundational piece' to be moved. Now it's time for the second one.
what's the rush.
wait a year.
no one is trading for 2 yrs of Sutter before they see him healthy anyways.
if he does stay healthy and shows to be a very good 3C again.. then boom... you got some value coming back then.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

While I was hardly a fan of the Sutter-Bonino trade nor the contract handed to him; it's an insult to Brandon mentioned in the same breath as Guds.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i have no problem if they trade sutter. i was commenting on his skill set.

i doubt they trade sutter until they are sure about gaudette. and i also doubt they trade sutter if they are in a playoff hunt. so this seems like a possible tdl move if we have whiffed on the season, in which case i doubt benning would be able to make trades. so i don't think benning trades him this year.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Lol Sutter hasn’t scored 20 once in Vancouver. He is a subpar 3C that has tunnel vision and doesn’t adequately utilize his wingers.
Stats from last season: GP:26 G:4 A:2 P:6 -12. The gap between Sutter and Gaudette is relatively small.
Lol. Using his worst season while only playing 26 games and maybe only 12 actually where he was full speed is hilarious. His 1st season where he scored 17 and was huge on faceoffs and the pk. AG who I like, had 4/goals, was terrible on fo and was the most sheltered centre, with over 70% ozone draws. Come on dude, not being a fan of Sutter, is your prerogative, but cherry-picking to prove a point doesn't really tell the whole truth.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A healthy Sutter is a good 3C.

Having Gaudette pushing and JT Miller able to fill in at C is huge if injuries occur

This franchise needs to have a few healthy seasons for once

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sutter might be a help to some NHL team right now, but he's just a spare part with the Canucks and an expensive one at that. He's miscast as a third line center, because he can't make the wingers around him better. Defensively, the Canucks have a lot of other options in the faceoff circle now that Beagle has arrived; and they have a lot of other, cheaper guys who can kill penalties.

Apparently Green's goal is to create a team of three scoring lines, and a group of 'top-nine' forwards instead of a 'top six'. Sorry but Sutter, who's only broken 20 goals once in his career on a stacked Penguins team, doesn't fit the bill.

I suppose they can open the season with him, maybe as a winger. But best-case scenario he can finally stay healthy and the Canucks can find a suitor at the trade deadline next February.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol. Using his worst season while only playing 26 games and maybe only 12 actually where he was full speed is hilarious. His 1st season where he scored 17 and was huge on faceoffs and the pk. AG who I like, had 4/goals, was terrible on fo and was the most sheltered centre, with over 70% ozone draws. Come on dude, not being a fan of Sutter, is your prerogative, but cherry-picking to prove a point doesn't really tell the whole truth.

Sutter’s first season in Vancouver was horrific as he was horribly mis-used and a complete liability to the team.

17-18 he did a good job as a #3 center.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Sutter might be a help to some NHL team right now, but he's just a spare part with the Canucks and an expensive one at that. He's miscast as a third line center, because he can't make the wingers around him better. Defensively, the Canucks have a lot of other options in the faceoff circle now that Beagle has arrived; and they have a lot of other, cheaper guys who can kill penalties.

Apparently Green's goal is to create a team of three scoring lines, and a group of 'top-nine' forwards instead of a 'top six'. Sorry but Sutter, who's only broken 20 goals once in his career on a stacked Penguins team, doesn't fit the bill.

I suppose they can open the season with him, maybe as a winger. But best-case scenario he can finally stay healthy and the Canucks can find a suitor at the trade deadline next February.

twice

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Sutter scored 20 goals twice, btw his 20 goal year with Pits his regular linemate were Adams, Glass, Vitale, Megna. He didn't have elite players on the ice with him when he got most of those 21 goals.

The issues is Canucks don't have that center that can create 3 scoring lines, but Sutter is still better option than Gaudette and Beagle. Only solution is to move Miller down the third line center but Canucks don't have the depth in the top 6 to do that. I would try to trade Virtanen for a middle 6 center,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad