Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 6-1 (Rafferty, Beagle, Baertschi, Jasek, Horvat, Gaudette)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Marky.. solid.. was concerned he stayed down in the v-h (or reverse v-h whatever) position while the puck was in the corner.... after listening to Woodley's critiques of Demko, I was watching for it... didn't cost him tho..

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If Rafferty progresses, he could be the key to trading Tanev this TDL.

Perfect scenario with Baertschi.... piss people off with your play, but produce... thereby making yourself a better asset than he is............

Draft pick fans will like that..

Reactions: Nomobo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In terms of roster clarity.. Schaller and Gaudette fuzzied it a bit... A Bit.

Wasn't a Leivo fan tonight OVERALL. But he worked himself into prime opportunities...

Was it just me or was Shorty hard on Landon Ferrero???
He seemed to have a negative slant with his descriptive adjectives when describing his plays... till he couldn't.
It was weirdly consistent.

Anyways... pretty sure Ray and Shorty aren't friends... clearly..

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I watched TOR/OTT and LA/VGK before this so generally both teams in this one seemed slow and a little pathetic. Getting our asses handed to us for 1.5 periods (as usual) in that context even though the team wasn't terrible overall seemed alarming. And OTT/LAK aren't that great...

I didn't like what I saw in isolated moments from Benn, Fantenburg, and Miller...they were sluggish and kind of puck watching at times, and seemed to be slow on the puck in their own zone. Again nobody was bad, but I couldn't help but think that against a decent team that could turn the wrong way very quickly.

Miller looked great last game so I found him disappointing tonight.

Marky's fluidity and edges are strong again, if he can keep his head trajectory going consistently like last year he's going to be a monster again. I don't see Demko anywhere near this level at the moment.

Also nice to Granlund see hasn't changed, he had an opportunity to get a SH semi-break late in the 2nd period but didn't bother skating at the offensive blueline and Stetcher basically just pushed him off the puck.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I really don’t like Bae with Horvat and Miller
Was a 6-1 game for the Canucks. Lucky to have that score, though they dominated the last half of the game. Thought Gaudette looked really good. Motte and several other prospects looked very good. I would say Gaudette might have just secured the last position on the team.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Horvat needs to stop taking terrible shots from bad angles after gaining the zone on the PP. Just setup man.
You have to be kidding. Horvat played at 80%, like everyone else, but showed great judgement on every bloody play.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Nice showing for Gaudette. Have to think Green was laughing at the over-celly in a 6-1 game in the dying minutes.

Hard not to like the Miller/Horvat duo going into this season. Miller is known for being a big body that can skate and has a heavy shot, but it's his hockey IQ that has really stood out thus far. Good chemistry early from a couple guys that are playing off one another well.

Brogan Rafferty has exceeded expectations thus far. His confidence is impressive for a guy with virtually no pro experience. Not sure if he has an NHL career ahead of him, but he's done enough to keep the door open for some potential ice this season.

Nice start for Markstrom. Played a quiet, steady game.

The biggest takeaway through the pre-season for me is the upgraded 2nd line. Horvat is coming off a 30-30 season playing with poor wingers and in front of a defense that couldn't move the puck. Look forward to watching him and Miller continue to build chemistry. Tanner Pearson as well.
Good analysis. I heartily concur.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I thought Rafferty justified being considered for a future role. Still early, but I think he will make it to a solid NHL position.
To me, he looks like an NHL player. Nice skater and sees the ice very well an has some offensive flair. Hoping he can improve his defensive play in Utica. As someone said earlier, if he continues to improve, it may allow us to move Tanev.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I watched until 4-1 or something. What concerns through 4 pre-season games is that we are seeing the same incredibly slow starts that have characterized the team for the better part of two seasons. An almost complete reliance on goaltending to keep them in early. Eventually an undermanned Oilers squad ran out of gas and they were plagued by terrible goaltending.

Gaudette - not sure he has done enough to secure a spot on the team. He's in a position where he needs to lock down a top 12 spot as he won't be sitting in the pressbox. I don't think he's done that so far. Furthermore, if this management had any sense they'd be getting Schaller and Eriksson some easy ice early in the season to try to pump up some sort of value to get them shipped out of town ASAP.

I'd throw a couple others on there like Sutter and Beagle but despite how much I hate paying $7.5 mil for those two guys this camp has once again shown that there is very little to no help from the farm when it comes to forwards.

Rafferty - does some nice things but defensively he needs a lot of work. The problem is he's 24 so his learning curve will have to be very steep indeed. It appears that he might be up for the task. Have to see how his first month or two in the AHL go. He'll have to play like a top 2 guy there to have a future in the NHL.

Horvat looked good but it was also against nothing competition so it wasn't an exciting performance. But it's nice to see that he appears ready to go when the games matter.

Baertschi and Miller I thought didn't have great games. Baertschi I cringe every time he's going to get hit...it really seems like a matter of time before he has a career ending concussion.

My brief thoughts.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So ... pretty much their opening night roster?
Not that Vancouver has been great, but it’s shocking how few prospects picked after the first round that the Oilers have knocking on the door. I mean they’ve been picking high for years and their ‘B’ team should be stacked with good young players ready to push for a job on a team that has so many holes in the NHL roster. It’s amazing how poorly they’ve drafted for the past decade.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Gaudette is nowhere near Sutter. If healthy, he is a 15-20 goal elite 3rd centre. AG is far from that as of now.

Lol Sutter hasn’t scored 20 once in Vancouver. He is a subpar 3C that has tunnel vision and doesn’t adequately utilize his wingers.
Stats from last season: GP:26 G:4 A:2 P:6 -12. The gap between Sutter and Gaudette is relatively small.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
You have to be kidding. Horvat played at 80%, like everyone else, but showed great judgement on every bloody play.

Throwing the puck away for no reason on the PP is not great judgement, he's not an elite sniper and never will be. I only saw him do it once but really there is no need to ever do it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was a sloppy fun game for us. my review is going to be voodoo long distance impressions of team dynamics.

i am getting a distinct vibe from watching the interactions that this team and coaching staff is both stoked and confident. there is little or no stress. right or wrong, they look like they are having fun and believe they are about to do well.

i think eriksson is done as a canuck and gets waived. i see zero teammate interaction. he may be playing well enough but he's not part of the team anymore. i might be wrong, but i think beagle tanked a shorthanded 2 on 1 in the second to avoid sending eriksson in alone. beagle's smart obvious safe play options were a shot for a rebound for eriksson or a pass to eriksson who was ahead of the d. he instead dropped it to the trailing dman in traffic and nearly caused a turnover trapping both forwards. very atypical move by mr meat and potatoes.

i think brisebois is ready but playing hyperconservative to not blow it. he had an interaction with tanev in the first where tanev gave the puck to him twice for a breakout and brisebois passed it back twice and you could see tanev almost shaking his head. there is no eye of tiger. assuming he can overcome that, my only doubt with brisebois is whether he has the strength yet in his own end to handle nhl traffic in a real game. everything else looks to be there.

conversely i think fantenberg is heading to wiercioch island.

the team and coaching staff love gaudette. he's making the team if they can find a way.

schaller is either being showcased or green likes his game this year.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Lol Sutter hasn’t scored 20 once in Vancouver. He is a subpar 3C that has tunnel vision and doesn’t adequately utilize his wingers.
Stats from last season GP:26 G:4 A:2 P:6 -12. The gap between Sutter and Gaudette is relatively small.

That was an injured Sutter. If he can stay healthy, and still has his speed, he’s a still good 3rd line guy.

Reactions: Hit the post

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I thought jordie benn played like luke schenn, but after a few games, I don't see much compatibles.
Which is kinda disappointing, I developed a man crush on schenn

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->