Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 6-1 (Rafferty, Beagle, Baertschi, Jasek, Horvat, Gaudette)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This game is probably the last look for the Canucks 4th line...Hopefully Ferraro gets a contract a with the Comets (or another NHL team).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! That's a pretty shaky blueline. Big minutes for Tanev, Stecher and Benn. Thankfully neither McDavid or Draisaitl are in the lineup to pick them apart.

Hopefully Marky gets the start and goes the full 60 minutes. They need to get him ready for the regular season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I still think Pearson will be a much better fit on that line than Bearstchi. He just cannot handle prime minutes in risk of injury, but I can see him being optimal against weaker competition on the 3rd line.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
starting to take a little shape. forwards look like a plausible if unlikely bottom nine plus a line of ahl guys. there are four nhl dmen plus two borderline callups on defence, and our starter.

i'd expect them to at least play the system.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think Baertschi has really great chemistry with Horvat, I felt like that line was always short one piece not two, if Miller is the guy then I like that as our second line

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I still think Pearson will be a much better fit on that line than Bearstchi. He just cannot handle prime minutes in risk of injury, but I can see him being optimal against weaker competition on the 3rd line.
I don't really agree with this becuase rarely do third lines match up against third lines.
A third line of Pearson Sutter Virtanen would match up much better against opposing teams top 6's. Person is very good on the wall. Baertschi isn't shutting anyone down.
Baertschi on the 2nd line is probably a better fit because Pearson can play 2LW or 3LW so why not put Baer in the only spot he can play since you have the flexibility with Pearson

Reactions: DL44

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Traditionally, Pearson and baertschi are likely best suited for a second line role as that is the line that would receive the easiest matchup. The first line is going to draw the toughest defensive matchup the opposition has to throw at you. The thrid line is going to draw the top line of the opposition. The second line will get to faceoff against the opposition second and fourth lines.

I say traditionally. However, Horvat will be drawing the top line of the opposition much like Kesler often would. So it'll be interesting to see how either of those guys handles those minutes.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Very interested to see how the third line plays. Schaller should be hanging on to dear life and Motte should be fighting for that spot hard too

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I know it's preseason, but this is a dead GTD.

I think if Baertschi stays healthy he is going to remind a lot of people how good he is. When he was healthy in the past, he was asked to be a lynchpin in the top 6, but I think that him being the 5th or 6th most important member of a top 6 is perfect for him. He should compliment Horvat and Miller really well, this line could work on opening day.

Reactions: DL44

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That 4th line is weird. Jasek is a RW. Bailey is a RW. Ferraro is a C/RW.

Jasek played RW for the Comets and will be there again this season.

Looks like they want to see Bailey as the RW and the other 2 RWs are on their own.

Ferraro will not make the Canucks. Are we in agreement? He has always had a 2-way deal starting with Detroit for 5 years, then St Louis/Boston for a season, and finally 2 more with Minnesota where he suffered a major season ending injury last season playing only 12 games. If he is signed, he will be waived to Utica where he will be a center. He can be used by Vancouver on emergency recall if he is able to put his game back together. That's how he has mainly been used in his past history. If the Canucks choose not to sign him, but encourage him to sign with the Comets, he would fill a very important niche for the Comets as a 3rd play making center.

If Gaudette starts in Utica, Landon still fills that 3rd center role that will be crucial to the success of Lind and Gadjovich/Malone when the inevitable happens, Gaudette gets recalled. He could also move ahead of Camper if he were to outplay him.

The majority of his career has been in the AHL (354GP) while only seeing 77 games in the NHL with 58 of them coming in Boston in 2015-16. I don't see any NHL team currently eager to sign him to play in the NHL. Thus, I think he would clear waivers as he has during his career.. If he were to only sign an AHL contract, he could still sign with any NHL team, Vancouver included, if he should catch fire and put up big numbers with the Comets.

Would like to see how Ferrao handles the middle and both Jasek and Bailey can score if fed the puck. Wonder just how effective Landon is as a server.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I know it's preseason, but this is a dead GTD.

I think if Baertschi stays healthy he is going to remind a lot of people how good he is. When he was healthy in the past, he was asked to be a lynchpin in the top 6, but I think that him being the 5th or 6th most important member of a top 6 is perfect for him. He should compliment Horvat and Miller really well, this line could work on opening day.
I like this because it allows the potential 3rd line of:

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Puts Baertschi in a position to succeed and produce.... creating value allowing us to trade him once Roussel is cleared.

Then if 70-20-18 have clicked, keep em together and slide Roussel up with 53.
If not, 70 moves back with 53.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
I really think Pearson needs to stay with Horvat given the chemistry they showed last year.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
This should be interesting, especially those first two lines. I keep forgetting about Leivo (or as Orcatown always calls him in his excellent post summaries - Levio). :laugh:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That 4th line is weird. Jasek is a RW. Bailey is a RW. Ferraro is a C/RW.

Jasek played RW for the Comets and will be there again this season.

Looks like they want to see Bailey as the RW and the other 2 RWs are on their own.

Ferraro will not make the Canucks. Are we in agreement?

all three guys may be getting their courtesy second start before being cut.
i guess ferraro is probably the centre if they get caught out for a faceoff.

i don't know if the canucks are considering ferraro for utica as opposed to giving him a chance to pull together some recent tape to help find a gig somewhere in hockey, but he can obviously play his way into an ahl job. i don't think there is any chance he gets an nhl contract though even if he blows the doors off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->