Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 6-1 (Rafferty, Beagle, Baertschi, Jasek, Horvat, Gaudette)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard game for anyone to look bad in, really. The worst I can say about some Canucks is that some didn’t look as good as others.

Horvat was the best player on the ice by a long shot. Just dominated the competition.

Of the young guys, thought Gaudette and Rafferty distinguished themselves the most. Numbers dictate Rafferty will start in Utica, but showing he could be a good call up option if (when) injuries strike. Gaudette is also likely Utica bound unless the Canucks succeed in making some trades, which seems unlikely.

Baertschi showed flashes of skill, but really looked like he was labouring with his skating. Missing so much hockey has been tough on him. Really want him to succeed, but he needs to get better.

Think Ferraro deserves a look in Utica. Good effort and good wheels, too.

Even Eriksson looked good tonight, much to my chagrin. A couple of assists and some nice takeaways. Downside is this likely further solidifies him actually sticking with the team.

Markstrom was excellent in goal.

Bailey and Fantenberg were probably my two “least noteables”. Would send them to the AHL in the next round of cuts.

Brisebois handles the puck well, but seems afraid to shoot. Telegraphed that he was going to pass a bit too much.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Was Brisebois as good as Reddit wants me to believe? I haven’t seen an NHL regular defenceman in his play, but how was he tonight?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I thought Jasek showed well tonight. He obviously won't be starting the season with the Canucks, but I like the potential in him from what I've seen so far.

I had a laugh at Gaudette's celly on a 6-1 goal with only a few minutes remaining - he just loves a goal.

I've been really impressed with Miller's poise and IQ as well.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kudus to the Canucks NCAA college scouts for unearthing this guy Rafferty. Hard to believe that he is basically only playing his sixth NHL game. Surprising offensive instincts, which seemed totally absent last year at Quinnipiac.

Will probably need some time in Utica to refine his game, but based on the limited viewing in training camp, he's sailed by guys like Brisebois, Sautner and Chatfield as an NHL call-up.

Reactions: DL44

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
That Oilers team was probably the worst roster I’ve ever seen dressed for a home preseason game. Yikes. Also Keegan Lowe is just craptastic.

- Horvat was outstanding and showed real high-end skill. No worries there. Miller was decent. Baertschi was basically a ghost except for the finish on his PP goal.

- Motte-Beagle-Schaller line had a nice night and all 3 guys did some excellent PK work. Schaller played maybe his best game ever but surely will still be cut.

- Eriksson played?

- best news was that Gaudette looked so much better. Skated well, looked more confident, got several looks at net and a much-needed goal.

- Bailey can surely be cut now.

- Jasek was a bit better and scored a weak goal. A bit more energy tonight. Still is surely in the next round of cuts. Same with Ferraro.

- Tanev was a rock but was forced to be the puck-moving guy too often due to Brisebois’ struggles in that regard.

- Stecher and Benn were ... ok. Have seen Stecher skate a lot better than that.

- Rafferty has a good game. Scored early goal, gave it immediately back with a bad turnover. Defensively is a bit of a mess but is trying to make things happen and has good IQ offensively.

- Fantenberg did not inspire confidence.

- Markstrom was a rock and never looked like giving the Oilers anything.

Thanks for the solid review again!

My thoughts:
Eriksson and Gaudette seemed to have a bit of chemistry this game apparently. If we're forced to have Eriksson in the lineup, and Gaudette makes it that could at least be a pairing option.

Loui actually seemed much more engaged in this game than I've seen in a while.

Fantenberg really is not deserving of taking Biega's spot at this point. Will be shocked if Fantenburg isn't in Utica with play like this.

Miller has been a very solid addition. Seems like exactly the type of winger Bo has needed. Seemed to improve the Powerplay too.

As an aside... I know these weren't the proper Oilers, but... after so many years of failure, why is their tryouts/prospects group still so poor?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Was Brisebois as good as Reddit wants me to believe? I haven’t seen an NHL regular defenceman in his play, but how was he tonight?

He's developed into a strong, steady defensive presence that reads the play well and keeps in position. Come a long way over the last couple years in that regard.

On the flip side, he just doesn't move the puck very well. Holds onto the puck a little too long and isn't a crisp passer.

Would say you're looking at a Jordie Benn kind of upside with Brisebois if he keeps improving. Not sure there is anything beyond that.

Reactions: geebaan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I do think Brisebois was good. He’s a good skater who passes the puck well - but I’d like to see him shoot sometimes, if only to keep defenders honest. Again, though, this was a hard game for anyone to look truly bad in.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Miller looks good with Horvat.
Pete is essentially a lock to be a top ten player for the next decade. Best player on the ice at 30% effort.
The whole right side of defense has been good. (Tanev, Biega, Myers, Stecher)
Demko and Markstrom have been good.

Everyone else has been average or inconsequential at best.

Edler was pretty solid the other day.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After the first thought the Canucks were not going to win a period in the pre-season but after that they sure took over. Edmonton looks to have an issue in the nets.

Very good

Horvat - best player on the ice by a bit

Tanev - outstanding. Plays like this and no way you want to trade him. Hope the new pads work out

Beagle - was a horse in this game. Very good on the PK and in every zone. Never had a bad shift

Good

Markstrom - very solid.

Eriksson - played like a vet in term of puck movement and coverage. Skating, which has never been a strong suit, was laboured at times but he consistently made the right play and created offensive chances. Moreover, actually s used his body to win puck battles. May not end up in Utica afterall. Need to give some credit when credit is due.

Not Bad

Gaudette - effort, per usual, was dogged and he showed good persistence on the puck. However, his passing remains very suspect. Too many blind passes, too many passes in the wingers skates coming out of the zone. Also needs to work on getting on the right side (defensive side) on the forecheck. Game gives you hope but I think he needs to go to Utica and work endlessly on passing drills.

Benn - can make some good stretch passes in his end and goes to the body well. However, ended up getting tied up in his zone some.

Stecher - got better as the game went on. After an excellent World Cup I was hoping he would take the step and start controlling the play more. Think this game gave an indication that might happen

Rafferty - definitely starting to move up the pecking order. Probably better than Fantenburg. Makes the simple, direct play most of the time. Got tied up in puck battles a little too much but he reads the play well. Shows not bad mobility.

Miller - positionally good but didn't do much with chances.

Schaller - more involved in this one. Carried a bit by Beagle but still a decent game.

So-so

Brisebois - just too often making the extra move in his end and getting puck knocked off his stick. Also doesn't have Tanev-like speed to skate himself out of problems. Too often he just got to the puck and tried to tie it up in the corner rather than getting on it quicker and moving puck around boards or to a teammate. Had offensive chances but shot the puck wildly high not giving a chance for rebounds or deflections. Still a step slow and few pounds light.

Jasek - yes he scored and looked ok late when the Oilers fell apart. But when the game was competitive early he couldn't break against the forecheck and got rubbed out of the play too easily. This game was a positive step for Jasek but he is clearly not ready.

Levio - guy is so in and out. One shift he isn't prepared for the puck coming up to him and he can't get the puck out and then, the next, he bounces a puck loose and gets a chance. At his best when bolting in from the blue line and at his worst when turns over the puck at his line or in the neutral zone. Player lacks high level skill and is fringe at this level.

Motte - this isn't the kamikaze of last year's pre season but he had some good shifts in this game. Needed to be more effective in puck battles in the offensive zone.

Bad

Baertschi - got the tap -in goal and looked better in the third when Oilers tanked. (kind of literary device there) But he, for the most part, was slow and easily handled. Fell down a couple of times, showing poor edge control, and puck movement was haphazard with many, many of his passes getting picked off. He was nothing like the dynamic player he showed occasionally in the past. Right now think he should go to Utica and get back some confidence and speed. Did see him get rocked once in the third and thought he was winching and you wonder how long before the next head injury

Bailey - very poor player. Awkward when he turns and can't do anything meaningful with the puck at this level.

Fantenburg - Got maneuvered or forced right back into his crease. Had trouble in traffic in his own end and lost the puck far too often. This was the player we saw in LA last year who was huge contributor to the lousy season the Kings had. Looks like a body and nothing more and I pine for Schenn.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Very pleased with the goaltending situation with Markstrom and Demko. Just look at the messes in Edmonton and Calgary and what weak goaltending can lead to.

Bo looks great and Miller looks like a near perfect fit with him. Interested to see how Brock and Petey look with Ferland.

Looks like Motte-Beagle-Schaller vying for 4th line and PK time.

Happy Gaudette had a good game. Not sure why they don't have him with Virtanen ever.

Reactions: crazyforhockey

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think Gaudette stays and I feel like Green wants him to stay as well. Just hope Benning can swing a trade for Sutter.

Impressive game by Gaudette. However he will probably start in Utica, it’s unlikely Sutter gets moved before the start of the regular season.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think Baertschi should "retire" honestly. He always starts the season passive, and/or is passive when he returns from injury. Then, he starts pushing himself and suddenly looks like a pretty decent #6 forward, completely capable of being the third guy on any of the top lines. However, whenever he does this, he always seems to end up injured. I just can't stomach seeing the guy end up with another concussion. I like the player when he's on his game, but I don't think his body ever wants him to be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Impressive game by Gaudette. However he will probably start in Utica, it’s unlikely Sutter gets moved before the start of the regular season.
Gaudette in his third straight exhibition game....obviously somebody wants a long look at him, and appears to me he's getting stronger every game.

Betting is still that he starts the year in Utica, but I'm starting to wonder. Maybe Sutter isn't the guy who gets moved before the opener, but it's less obvious to me that somebody might get moved. They may decide they simply have to find a roster spot for Gaudette.

Maybe somebody like Baertschi or Schaller gets moved.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This sportsnet panel is pretty bad. I'm sure it'll get better once they get some more experience together, but jesus they have no chemistry at all.
As long as I keep PVR'ing games and skipping intermissions and commercials, I may never share your pain!
Like tonight... the only pro of having 3 kids to put to bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad