Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I hope he goes through some fight training over the course of the year. I do remember that he had this one great game against boston where he was a physical force and I think he injured Nathan Horton. Maybe Gillis watched that game.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
hopefully MG still go after a center we are desperate of one......we got our big tough winger now we need a big tough center.....

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Now hopefully we will allow our players to stick up for each other and goon it up a bit when needed. Still think we need a guy like Ryane Clowe on our roster, but Sestito is a start.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Montreal and Chicago were apparently other teams with claims in on this guy.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Seems to be a change, or modification of previous management philosophy...the one where fighting was supposed to be dying out and lots of PP opportunities is the best way to strike back at goonery.

If so, this is a change I can support.

Still need to work on that PP, btw.

arsmaster*

Did Sestito come with a new coach? :-/

I think you're crazy if you don't think AV likes tough hard hitting agitating hockey.

It's Gillis who implemented the in between whistles, turn the other cheek mantra...

But I think he's wised up to the lack of PP's opportunities we're getting and the lack of respect from the officials.

I'm hoping Sestito and Lappy are allowed to yap at the opponents bench and agitate. I think it will drive the opposition crazy and might gain us more favour from the officials (they don't seem to appreciate us not defending ourselves, because it puts the focus on them to call the rulebook:().

Invictus146

Aug 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh. Give me Volpatti. Big, but not that fast. Plus - very willing to be physical, minus - too willing to be physical/take stupid penalties. Not great hockey sense (probably cause he's too busy running around trying to start something), somewhat surprising hands (actually in a good way)

Impressions from watching Flyers games.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Meh. Give me Volpatti. Big, but not that fast. Plus - very willing to be physical, minus - too willing to be physical/take stupid penalties. Not great hockey sense (probably cause he's too busy running around trying to start something), somewhat surprising hands (actually in a good way)

We definitely need that level of physicality though. If someone takes a cheapshot at one of our stars they better be ready to answer the bell. Ding ding round 1.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Kassian straight up fed him a wobbly pop. Dude needed help getting back to the dressing room. Kassian is a heavy hitter though so you can't really hold that against him.

I like this pickup simply because the kid is HUGE and can play a more defined role on the team. I would rather have Sestito over Ebbett. We need more grit and energy coming from our 4th line and this kid will definitely bring that. He's a big beast who makes his teammates feel a little tougher and opponents a little more aware of their actions.

Invictus146

Aug 21, 2010
Philadelphia
We definitely need that level of physicality though. If someone takes a cheapshot at one of our stars they better be ready to answer the bell. Ding ding round 1.

I do see this point. Why my thoughts are more "meh" rather than "bleh." At the same time in the course of 21 NHL games for the Flyers over the past 2 seasons - 7 total shots. Says something about his offensive talents unfortunately.

The physical element is certainly worth something, as long as he does not take too many dumb penalties to offset it. At the very least, I hope it takes some of that pressure off of Kassian. For a young player, it seems he has a reputation with the refs already. Of course, this discussion might all not really matter, as I do wonder how many games he'll actually be playing in

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

His skating for a guy that big is good. It's one of the first things that caught my attention when watching him.

But can't really argue with the rest of your post. Have to see him here to judge.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I think AV will love him he is a big fan of big physical players......now if only he has good hands we could have a dangerous fourth line with average size of 6'2

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I do see this point. Why my thoughts are more "meh" rather than "bleh." At the same time in the course of 21 NHL games for the Flyers over the past 2 seasons - 7 total shots. Says something about his offensive talents unfortunately.

The physical element is certainly worth something, as long as he does not take too many dumb penalties to offset it. At the very least, I hope it takes some of that pressure off of Kassian. For a young player, it seems he has a reputation with the refs already. Of course, this discussion might all not really matter, as I do wonder how many games he'll actually be playing in

Who cares how many shots he takes. He wasn't picked up to score goals or put points on the board. He was picked up to allow the point getters more respect from opponents. The Canucks just added a 6.5 beast to their 4th line. If you've seen him play in PHI as you claim then you should know that Sestito is a heavy and not expected to add points.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
"He scored his first NHL goal on December 15, 2010, against Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks in a 3-2 overtime loss. He scored his second NHL goal on December 23, 2010, against Cory Schneider, also of the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-3 losing effort."

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
"He scored his first NHL goal on December 15, 2010, against Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks in a 3-2 overtime loss. He scored his second NHL goal on December 23, 2010, against Cory Schneider, also of the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-3 losing effort."

I was about to post this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad