Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
"He scored his first NHL goal on December 15, 2010, against Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks in a 3-2 overtime loss. He scored his second NHL goal on December 23, 2010, against Cory Schneider, also of the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-3 losing effort."

Maybe we're giving him the Curtis Sanford treatment? If you can't beat 'em, acquire 'em?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
so he is a enforcer/heave weight that some canucks fan been wanting to get for so long.....???

For me, I could care less if his name was Chuck E Cheese. I am sick of the lifeless games I'm seeing from the Canucks. We got our buts kicked the last time we were in San Jose and I'm not just taking about the score. The Canucks needed to get bigger and tougher on the 4th line. For a more defined role as an enforcer he is a complete and total upgrade on Volpatti.

I don't expect us to all of a sudden be the BOS of the West but when he's in the lineup we are definitely a tougher team. He's a 4th liner no doubt about it but the type of player we haven't had in Van for a long time.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
For me, I could care less if his name was Chuck E Cheese. I am sick of the lifeless games I'm seeing from the Canucks. We got our buts kicked the last time we were in San Jose and I'm not just taking about the score. The Canucks needed to get bigger and tougher on the 4th line. For a more defined role as an enforcer he is a complete and total upgrade on Volpatti.

I don't expect us to all of a sudden be the BOS of the West but when he's in the lineup we are definitely a tougher team. He's a 4th liner no doubt about it but the type of player we haven't had in Van for a long time.

who was last type of player in vancouver????? Brad may?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

I don't think so. I've never looked at May as a heavy. Certainly not when we had him. Ripper was probably our last great fighter who was looked upon to fight but he wasn't that big so can we count him? It's been a long time since we had a brute.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think so. I've never looked at May as a heavy. Certainly not when we had him. Ripper was probably our last great fighter who was looked upon to fight but he wasn't that big so can we count him? It's been a long time since we had a brute.

Well we had Hordichuk, but it seemed like he only ever really fought George Parros.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

I consider heavy weights to be at least 6'2 and at least 215. I think brad was 6'1 like hordichuk. I think brashear was the last heavy but he was one of the best. Sestito is a heavy but he's not that good right now

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^May was a middleweight that was willing to take on anyone. He did a decent job, and was also an OK fourth liner in that sense that he didn't hurt the team defensively when he was on the ice.

Rypien was similar in many respects, but while he would occasionally surprise you offensively, his defensive game left a great deal to be desired.

If Sestito does what Weise has been doing (and what Volpatti was doing for the most part) which is making the safe plays and getting the puck out of the zone, he'll be an effective fourth liner.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
We seem to be more focused in changing the fourth line around instead of adressing our needs in the top 9.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Well we had Hordichuk, but it seemed like he only ever really fought George Parros.

I always forget about the guy because I think he's a terrible fighter. He had terrible balance and would always put his head down and just waive his hands around hoping to connect. More often then not he wound up on the ice.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I consider heavy weights to be at least 6'2 and at least 215. I think brad was 6'1 like hordichuk. I think brashear was the last heavy but he was one of the best. Sestito is a heavy but he's not that good right now

I think Wade Brookbank was a good legitimate heavyweight. He wasn't here very long but I would say he was the last one we ever had. He just couldn't play hockey at the NHL level. IF he could keep up with the play he would have had a longer career.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
We seem to be more focused in changing the fourth line around instead of adressing our needs in the top 9.
Focus? What? You can't control the timing of waiver wire opportunities.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

:laugh: It seems that way... Although it is easier to do. Looked at the first two pages, was not mentioned, But is this guy good on D? and how good, 2nd unit PK good? I do not care if he dose not score one goal. This guy makes us look more like Boston then Volpatti did, so this has potential for a positive, But if he is a liability in our own zone I do not like.

Northbad

Jul 3, 2010
Vancouver, B.C
I personally like this pick up. Gives us a big forward with decent skating from what I've seen. A nice addition to the forecheck and gives us some toughness at the very least. Low risk move in my opinion.

It would have been nice if Volpatti cleared and got to improve his game with the Wolves while Sestito took care of things on the fourth line; but that's just the way these things go sometimes.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I wondered if Gillis would put in a claim. Sestito is a more than adequate replacement for Volpatti. As I said the day Volpatti was waived, players of his ilk are easily replaced.

I just wanted Volpatti on the team for sentimental reasons, maybe he'll re-sign in the summer?

ZenMaster*

Makes the Canucks line-up look a hell of a lot bigger.

Canucks are slowly churning out to be a big team, wait in a few years when Jensen, Gaunce, and LaBate make the line-up.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
So now we just need to somehow get Boyle from the Rangers.

Sestito-Boyle-Kassian

That's a huge fourth line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->