Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I kind of called this. They wanted to swap Volpatti for someone that plays a more clearly defined role. Volpatti would challenge heavies an not fare to well, this guy is a heavy. His skating ain't bad either.

Gonna be an awkward moment between Kassian and Sestito I'd imagine.

Now the goon lovers can rejoice.

Tom has produced a lot more at lower levels:

42 goals as an 18 year old in OHL
17pts in 32 AHL games

I'm not saying he's going to solve anything offensively but he has some talent. He isn't a goon that put up 4 g 4 a in junior.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I dont mind this, Sestito is Younger, Bigger and more of a physical presence than Volpatti, solid defensivley and much better hands than Volpatti.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Kassian damaged him pretty good in the fight they had. Nor hard feelings?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Am I the only one that's sick of the Canucks pushing this image where they don't cause trouble and play between the whistles? It's not helping them draw more penalties, as NHL officiating simply doesn't work that way. They just even everything out. The Canucks are still being called for chintzy diving penalties. It's a lot of wasted energy, in my opinion, and we no longer seem to throw teams off their game.

I'd prefer to see something like Sestito, Lapierre, and Kassian out there for a few shifts together a game and just tell them to go nuclear. Hit everything that moves, facewash in scrums, yap at people, start fights. Lapierre is a ghost out there right now.

I'm not a big proponent of fights changing momentum, but I do think this team goes through the motions during the regular season, and getting fired up once in awhile would do them some good. Plus I like it when teams hate the Canucks. Every once in awhile you'll get a team off their game and score a few PP goals and win a game you shouldn't.

Heck, it might not help the team win a single game, but I still wish someone would ragdoll Keith when the Hawks are in Vancouver.

FireBenningNow

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure they didn't waive Volpatti thinking they'd be exchanging him for someone else's waiver wire fodder.

That being said given Sestito is bigger and better at the one thing Volpatti can do at the NHL level I think it's worth seeing how this pans out.

My guess is that when healthy Sestito is our 13th or 14th best forward, just like Peppermint was.

I'm pretty sure they knew they'd lose him to waivers...Volpatti is really the only player on this team that played the body, I can't imainge Sestito will make it there in time to ever play the body consistently. Sure he can fight but who cares!! go back to the Canucks that wanted to beat other teams with Skill...we lost to the Bruins because we were hurt, not because we were small or weak!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tom has produced a lot more at lower levels:

42 goals as an 18 year old in OHL
17pts in 32 AHL games

I'm not saying he's going to solve anything offensively but he has some talent. He isn't a goon that put up 4 g 4 a in junior.

I've seen him at this level, and he's a goon.

A lot of players aren't able to translate their offense from the lower levels. He looks to be one of those.

That said, he can skate for his size, so he should be able to keep up with this team. That's all that's really required. Oh, and fighting of course.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Trying to figure out how this works in terms of roster numbers. Since Pinner was activated and placed on a conditioning loan, he should be a part of the roster in which case Sestito is extra.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

A lot of players aren't able to translate their offense from the lower levels. He looks to be one of those.

That said, he can skate for his size, so he should be able to keep up with this team. That's all that's really required. Oh, and fighting of course.

Definitely. But if you're going to get a goon, get one that's big and can skate, and put him with a center like Lapierre who can play some defense. For a free pick-up it's fine.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Trying to figure out how this works in terms of roster numbers. Since Pinner was activated and placed on a conditioning loan, he should be a part of the roster in which case Sestito is extra.

This upsets me greatly. Pinnizzotto has never played an NHL game and Sestito is a goon-type. Sigh.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Find highlights of his game against Tampa this year. Bryz mentioned afterwards that he should now be called 'Sestitov'.

He's a marginal NHL player, bottom six at best.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I don't really expect him to score, but he has a vastly more impressive offensive track record than Volpatti does. Hard to imagine this isn't an upgrade in that regard. Couple that with the fact that he's bigger anf younger and I'm not sure what there is not to like with this.

That said, the impact of these interchangeable part fourth liners is essentially immaterial.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Goon or not he has still produced superior numbers than Volpatti at the AHL and junior levels. Hell in 30 NHL games over the past three seasons he has 4 goals, 3 assists. Shows that he might pop in 8-10 goals over the course of a full season which I doubt Volpatti could do. Volpatti didn't even produce in the BCHL So i question how people think he has untapped potential or is an elite 4th liner.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm pretty sure they knew they'd lose him to waivers...Volpatti is really the only player on this team that played the body, I can't imainge Sestito will make it there in time to ever play the body consistently. Sure he can fight but who cares!! go back to the Canucks that wanted to beat other teams with Skill...we lost to the Bruins because we were hurt, not because we were small or weak!

Skill wise, what was on the SCF run team that's not on this club?

Hodgson wasn't there. Samuelsson was out. Torres is not uber skilled, and Malhotra is the last guy you think will put up offense. Ehrhoff then? Is he the difference between calling this team skilled in 2011 and not skilled now?

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Quite pleased about this acquisition. Surprised he made it so far down the waiverwire seeing as Volpatti went almost immediately.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well, I guess this replaces Volpatti. Can't say I know a great deal about Sestito, but interested to see what he can do in a Canuck uniform. His size and physicality seem like better fits for the fourth line than Ebbett does, IMO.

arsmaster*

He's big, if you're going to leave the 4th line as Lappy, Weise and Sestito (or Kassian) they'll be very hard to take the puck from below the goal line.

This will be good to wear down other teams, basically a younger, less injury prone Byron Bitz (who most wanted to resign after last year).

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
you guys will like him, he won't do much good (he'll surprise you from time to time) but he hardly does anything bad

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Find highlights of his game against Tampa this year. Bryz mentioned afterwards that he should now be called 'Sestitov'.

He's a marginal NHL player, bottom six at best.

Right, and so is Volpatti and he is bigger and younger.

We are looking at this through the prism of a trade off for Volpatti, not writing our names on the Stanley Cup :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't really expect him to score, but he has a vastly more impressive offensive track record than Volpatti does. Hard to imagine this isn't an upgrade in that regard. Couple that with the fact that he's bigger anf younger and I'm not sure what there is not to like with this.

That said, the impact of these interchangeable part fourth liners is essentially immaterial.

He does have a more impressive record in lower leagues, I just don't think it's going to mean much. Offensively, I expect it to be a wash.

Fighting wise, it's an upgrade. All you can really ask for at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad