Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He does have a more impressive record in lower leagues, I just don't think it's going to mean much. Offensively, I expect it to be a wash.

Fighting wise, it's an upgrade. All you can really ask for at this point.

Offensive numbers at lower levels, when it comes to these players generally also indicate greater overall ability to play good hockey. Volpatti could hit and fight, but honestly he was pretty much lost in all 3 zones when it came to doing the rest of the stuff hockey players are supposed to.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
you guys will like him, he won't do much good (he'll surprise you from time to time) but he hardly does anything bad

How do ou judge his skating?

And how was he defensively for you? I'm guessing adequate by your comments...?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
How do ou judge his skating?

And how was he defensively for you? I'm guessing adequate by your comments...?

he's big but certainly not slow, he is average defensively but guys usually gravitate away from him when he's on the ice because his intentions are usually hit to kill (less than rinaldo's of course)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Offensive numbers at lower levels, when it comes to these players generally also indicate greater overall ability to play good hockey. Volpatti could hit and fight, but honestly he was pretty much lost in all 3 zones when it came to doing the rest of the stuff hockey players are supposed to.

Don't disagree with your assessment on Volpatti. Have said the same on here.

Lets hope Sestito is able to translate some of his skills. I doubt it, but let's see.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Don't disagree with your assessment on Volpatti. Have said the same on here.

Lets hope Sestito is able to translate some of his skills. I doubt it, but let's see.

Well, if he can get the puck out of our zone without turning it over constantly then I'll already consider it an upgrade. The bar is set very low.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I don't mind him. If he's a better version of Volpatti (a.k.a. can play in his own zone), then all the better!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
he's big but certainly not slow, he is average defensively but guys usually gravitate away from him when he's on the ice because his intentions are usually hit to kill (less than rinaldo's of course)

When I saw him, his skating didn't seem like a drawback. It felt like he could keep up in the play. Average defensively also works. Thanks for you input.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We can resign Volpatti in the summer if need be, but Sestito is some size. I thought he played center and LW too...guess not.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
What will hurt more for an NHL defenseman, getting hit by a 6"5 tank or Volpatti? We need some big boys on our 3rd and 4th line to enforce our will on the opposition. I doubt many defenseman will be scared of Volpatti, but getting hit by some big heavy mofo's will make them weary and make them more prone to injuries or turnovers.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I don't really expect him to score, but he has a vastly more impressive offensive track record than Volpatti does. Hard to imagine this isn't an upgrade in that regard. Couple that with the fact that he's bigger anf younger and I'm not sure what there is not to like with this.

That said, the impact of these interchangeable part fourth liners is essentially immaterial.

Pretty much, though bigger bodies that can skate/hit will wear on teams in a long playoff series. It's hard to quantify that, but we've seen what happens to the Canucks D when they start to get injured (or play hurt).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Thanks for this. Sounds like an upgrade over Volpatti already.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
We should convert Alberts into a fourth line winger so we can play both him and Sestito at the same time :handclap:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think Volpatti is quicker off the mark and probably more of an energy guy. Sestito does more damage with hits but I don't think he's as consistent a hitter as Volpatti is.

It's a curious move by Gillis to pick up Sestito. It almost makes me think he didn't expect Volpatti to be picked up. Not only did Volpatti get claimed, he got claimed with a high pick.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The Flames have recently added Brian McGrattan, so maybe it's an arms race?

McGrattan would destroy him.
judging from Sestito's fight videos, he's really not all that great of a fighter.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yes I'm soo happy I've wanted this guy for years!! But we never claimed him last time around and I wasn't holding my breathe this time. This dude is much better than volpatti. Give him the chance and he can play. I remember how dominant he was as a blue jacket against us. He's great along the boards it was impossible for our team to get him off the puck along the boards aka Kassian when he played against us and it wrecked havoc on our team. He showed offensive potential back in Columbus

I think if he's used properly he can be our Brian Boyle with a bit less offense but more grit. Plus no Andrew ebbett!

arsmaster*

I think the swap between Volpatti and Sestito, will allow the 4th line to play more minutes.

Big guys like that can control the boards below the goal line very well, we saw it with Bitz last year.

I think they're hoping the size will allow them to have more prolonged shifts in the offensive zone, wearing down the opponent. Weise is good at this, so is Lappy.

Volpatti wasn't great at this, he was more of a get in on the forecheck hitter, and crunch the d-man against the boards after he makes a break out pass kind of guy. That's nice to have, but I think they want the 4th line to actually be able to 'grind' down the opposition, not just hit them as they break out.

Just my preliminary thoughts on the claim.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Fair enough replacement for Volpatti ... though I still think losing him for nothing was a mistake, and this is just a quick fix to get some toughness back in the lineup. Big man, and he's not a totally useless hockey player so that's good news.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Lifted from the pages of the Flyers board for what it is worth:

Philly.com said:
The Flyers feared losing Tom Sestito when placing him on waivers Thursday.

Yet, for whatever reason, they felt it was a risk worth taking.

It did not pay off. Vancouver claimed Sestito off waivers on Friday, seemingly to replace a similar player in Aaron Volpatti, who was claimed from them Thursday by Washington.

One benefit for the Flyers is that they gain contract flexibility by dropping Sestito's deal, but they felt he was a player who could help them down the line.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Sestito-claimed.html

I actually don't mind the sound of this guy ... Flyers fans seem to like him. And also over there word is another team looking to put in a claim was Chicago.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Fair enough replacement for Volpatti ... though I still think losing him for nothing was a mistake, and this is just a quick fix to get some toughness back in the lineup. Big man, and he's not a totally useless hockey player so that's good news.

Losing waiver wire guys is par for the course. That's what Sestito and Volpatti are. Losing Volpatti for nothing is no more a mistake than PHI losing Sestito for nothing. Both are marginal moves that don't necessitate extra compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad