Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If the Canucks are to move Virtanen for a prospect defenseman I would hope it would be one with a RH’ed shot as that’s their biggest weakness. Don’t see them having interest in Zboril/Lauzon.
Any interest in a deal around Connor Clifton? Personally I'm happier to keep Lauzon, but Clifton is a RHD, if that's what the Canucks are looking for.

Reactions: Hookslide

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Does Rask get you Boeser, Demko and Virtanen?

Providing Markstrom is not resigned?!
Sure. Just add McAvoy and a pick.

No f***ing chance trading for a goalie who has one year left and might sit out even with COVID going on while giving up a 1st line forward, potential starting goalie and a 3rd line tweener who was on pace for 20 goals.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So Boston gives up a young solid 3/4 dman for a problem child and 2nd, yup never going to happen.

Not saying they would want him but Baerstchi isn't an AHL player, he just got dumped down there because Benning keeps signing more forwards. Play him in the NHL and he's a middle six LW who will score on pace for 40 points but is often injured. Not a contract teams would want but he is an NHL player, and certainly can belong in the conversation if we're talking about Minnesota dumping Dubnyk here.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not saying they would want him but Baerstchi isn't an AHL player, he just got dumped down there because Benning keeps signing more forwards. Play him in the NHL and he's a middle six LW who will score on pace for 40 points but is often injured. Not a contract teams would want but he is an NHL player, and certainly can belong in the conversation if we're talking about Minnesota dumping Dubnyk here.

Baertschi is not an NHL player currently due to inconsistency and injuries. Minnesota yeah maybe if they get to send some bad money as well but that cap hit is much too high for the Canucks to keep around in the NHL given the poor production.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Maybe a Virtanen and Kase swap.

I thought about that. Sacrifice size for smarts. But he doesn’t really save the Canucks any money. And he needs a new contract next year. Bjork just makes more sense I think. 3 years on his deal and at only 1.6 AAV. Good at zone entries and is a good two way guy. Lack of finish and was injury prone up until this past season which was his first one not interrupted. Bruins had high hopes for him a couple years ago when they started him with Marchand and Bergeron instead of Pasta. But then a couple of injury plagued years led him to having his first real season here at 24. The question is what would Boston add to make the Canucks happy without adding salary to the Canucks which is the whole point of the trade. I would put any prospect not named Studnicka out there for the taking thinking you would take Vaakaneinen or Frederic.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Don't see him as an upgrade over Troy Stecher so I would say no.
I know nothing of Troy Stecher or where he fits in your depth chart, so I can't say where Clifton would fit in. But he's the only RHD that fits the NHL ready prospect, if that's the main part of the deal.

If Lauzon is of no interest, then not sure where the teams meet on needs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't see him as an upgrade over Troy Stecher so I would say no.

I agree with you. However he is also signed for 3 years at only 1 million. Do you think Stecher is gonna take a million?

Bruins send Bjork and Clifton, Vancouver trades Stecher for something and Boston gets Jake. Gotta think Vancouver saves a good 3 million on the cap no? And with those contracts still going for three years.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I agree with you. However he is also signed for 3 years at only 1 million. Do you think Stecher is gonna take a million?

No, but they don’t necessarily need him to take $1M. If the Canucks move on from Stecher it’s because they’ve re-signed Tanev or another RH’ed d-man for the top 4 and Stecher has become a luxury on their bottom pairing. There are plenty of bottom pairing guys they could sign or give Brogan Rafferty a shot.

Bruins send Bjork and Clifton, Vancouver trades Stecher for something and Boston gets Jake. Gotta think Vancouver saves a good 3 million on the cap no? And with those contracts still going for three years.

Big meh from the Canucks POV. Bjork and Cliffton really don’t fill needs at all. I’d rather move Jake for picks and give Rafferty a shot on the bottom pairing.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm not too sure who Boston is looking to move with only Debrusk name being brought up couple weeks ago in a recent threat that suggest Bruins are not interested in signing him.

In Vancouver, Benning has chewed out Virtanen, which suggests he might be available,

Debrusk is more offensive then Jake, but smaller and not as physical. If the Canucks make a trade like this, we are losing a lot of hitting as Jake averaged around 6 hits per game during the playoffs. Debrusk is more around the offensive side but not nearly as physical.

Another player Boston might want to target is maybe Adam Gaudette who is from the Boston area and maybe the Bruins want to bring in a player that is from Boston? who knows, but I don't think Boston is looking to move any top 4 dmans with Chara not playing much longer in the NHL even though he said he's willing to return.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

NiftyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2020
What about a deal like this?

To Vancouver:
Debrusk + Carlo + maybe a lower tier prospect (not so familiar with bruins prospects)

To Boston:
Pearson + Virtanen + Stetcher + Woo

This is likely biased towards the Canucks but the logic being it would give the Bruins two wingers (LW/RW) that can put up 20+ goals (Jake will probably get there given how he's progressing) plus a guy in Stetcher that can fill the spot of Carlo (obviously not at the same level as Carlo) and a RD prospect in Woo that projects to be a top 4 guy.

The Canucks get their RD to pair with Hughes for the future and Debrusk slots in on the 2nd line where Pearson was.

Is it a ridiculous proposal? Or is it kind of close but some small adds need to be made? Curious what you guys think!

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just throwing this out there: how about Bjork and Clifton for Virtanen and a third ?

Vancouver get two cost controlled NHL ready players. Boston gambles on Virtanen becoming an impact player. The 3rd well is simply a safety net ,for the Bruins and certainly a gamble as is any 3rd round draft pick

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I could see something around Virtanen and DeBrusk. Maybe not one for one, but value wise, it’s closer than Boeser and Carlo, IMO.
DeBrusk has outscored Virtanen in the past 3 seasons (twice by 20 points or more). Not even close value. Bruins deal DeBrusk as part of a package for an upgrade, not for a downgrade + draft pick. Awful suggestion.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What about a deal like this?

To Vancouver:
Debrusk + Carlo + maybe a lower tier prospect (not so familiar with bruins prospects)

To Boston:
Pearson + Virtanen + Stetcher + Woo

This is likely biased towards the Canucks but the logic being it would give the Bruins two wingers (LW/RW) that can put up 20+ goals (Jake will probably get there given how he's progressing) plus a guy in Stetcher that can fill the spot of Carlo (obviously not at the same level as Carlo) and a RD prospect in Woo that projects to be a top 4 guy.

The Canucks get their RD to pair with Hughes for the future and Debrusk slots in on the 2nd line where Pearson was.

Is it a ridiculous proposal? Or is it kind of close but some small adds need to be made? Curious what you guys think!
DeBrusk + Carlo? Vancouver return package needs to have Pettersson or Hughes included.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Just throwing this out there: how about Bjork and Clifton for Virtanen and a third ?

Vancouver get two cost controlled NHL ready players. Boston gambles on Virtanen becoming an impact player. The 3rd well is simply a safety net ,for the Bruins and certainly a gamble as is any 3rd round draft pick

I could do this as a Bruins fan but I think Canucks wont. Solid.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Already been suggested, minus the 3rd, and doesn’t make sense for the Canucks. Clifton doesn’t fill a need and neither does Bjork for that matter. Vancouver needs to add size/grit to their bottom 6, especially if they’re moving Virtanen. Don’t see Bjork as a good fit now or in the future.

I think there are four things the Canucks would move Virtanen for: capspace(dumping bad contract), defensively responsible 3rd line center, RH’ed d-man(upgrade over Stecher) or picks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad