Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I doubt there is a huge list of GM's just thinking...if I can only get Virtanen then the SC will be mine.......
I agree but I think he would bring something to the Bruins that is needed. Not every addition has to be viewed that drastically

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I agree but I think he would bring something to the Bruins that is needed. Not every addition has to be viewed that drastically

That was the point of my sarcasm though.

Virtanen is seriously lacking in the hockey IQ department and perhaps another GM might make a reach in trading for him but Jake is not what most teams are looking to trade for.

Reactions: DBL84

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If there's any team that historically is known to take quantity for quality... the Bruins are it.

That said, I hope thats not the case here. Ideally at this stage, the Bruins are getting the best player back in whatever situation is happening, instead of receiving the quantity. As someone else suggested acquiring Gaudette, I'm not against that, just don't know what the right return would be that fan bases are going to agree with. I don't know much about Gaudette besides his name, so I'm not the best to gauge his value.

It wouldn't have to be a 2 for 1 trade necessarily. I used Carlo as an offhand example. It seems that the two sides have been close on Virtanens value for a few days, so I wanted to see if a package for a pair of still developing forwards would have a similar answer ready.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Gaudette is better than Gagner at everything at age 23 and is only getting better

Gagner had 4 or 5 40pt plus seasons under his belt by the same age. Gaudette has a long way to go to reach Gagner level of NHL success. higher pick, yes but had instant success for years on end on a crappy team albeit

Reactions: wetcoast

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
That was the point of my sarcasm though.

Virtanen is seriously lacking in the hockey IQ department and perhaps another GM might make a reach in trading for him but Jake is not what most teams are looking to trade for.

I’m not really sure why you thought the sarcasm was needed. Apart from a few comments nobody is trying to oversell Jake for anything he isn’t.

He’s a good middle-6 winger, who brings decent physicality, decent offensive ability, great speed/skating, and is still young enough that he might be able to outgrow some of his flaws in a better situation.

That holds some value to certain teams/GMs.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
As long as Jake is in Vancouver, he's going to be compared to Ehlers/Nylander. Being in his hometown and having that comfort also doesn't help push the message of what he needs to do to take the next step in the NHL.

I totally agree with this. I am the guy pushing for a trade for him to be on the third line with Coyle and DeBrusk and hear all the negatives you can imagine against acquiring him. I see potential but only if he gets out of the Lower Mainland.

Honestly, what better time to ship out and head to Boston? No friends and family can follow, no one but your teammates to acclimate you to the city, no bars or clubs to get caught up in. A reset and having a new franchise with much less expectations. Then, when covid settles, you aren't the familiar face at the Roxy and other places, you're the new guy trying to prove to the Presidents' Trophy Bruins that you belong in the NHL.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
He was on pace for 21-21 this season. I could easily see him getting 25-25 if he plays with Krejci. I think moving out of Van and being with a strong leadership group Boston will do wonders for him. I also think Cassidy is a better coach than Green and will get more out of Virtanen.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Gagner had 4 or 5 40pt plus seasons under his belt by the same age. Gaudette has a long way to go to reach Gagner level of NHL success. higher pick, yes but had instant success for years on end on a crappy team albeit
That’s because he got a lot of ice time in offensive situations right off the bat.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
That’s because he got a lot of ice time in offensive situations right off the bat.

Gagner

Age 18 points 49
Age 19 points 41
Age 20 points 41
Age 21 points 42
Age 22 points 47
Age 23 points 38/ 48 games

Ice time 15 to 17 mins. There is no way Gaudette can produce these numbers at this age even with 15 to 17 mins.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
Gagner

Age 18 points 49
Age 19 points 41
Age 20 points 41
Age 21 points 42
Age 22 points 47
Age 23 points 38/ 48 games

Ice time 15 to 17 mins. There is no way Gaudette can produce these numbers at this age even with 15 to 17 mins.
There's no denying Gagner had the better earlier career. Gaudette did just put up 33 points in 59 games and I think he is trending in the right direction.
I think he might be one of those late bloomers, he just needs to find a bit more finish to his game and if anything will be a solid 3c.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Because he’s an RFA and we’d resign him rather than let him become a UFA Wym? :facepalm: :laugh: Oh and he’s actually a valuable top 9 player?...

Sure that is why he was 11th in TOI in the playoffs where his speed, size and supposed physical play should be at a greater premium right.

The Canucks already have enough forwards with no real place to play while cheaper younger options are on the way.

Signing priorities for the Canucks are Marky and Tanev then maybe Toffoli not Jake.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There's no denying Gagner had the better earlier career. Gaudette did just put up 33 points in 59 games and I think he is trending in the right direction.
I think he might be one of those late bloomers, he just needs to find a bit more finish to his game and if anything will be a solid 3c.

I just think the market for “offense first 3rd line centers who are not good at D” is smaller than the team holding the asset thinks. He would be better at RW on the third line on a good team IMHO. The value of “young 3rd line winger” is very different than “young potential #2C”, so it’s a sketchy conversation to have in this thread.

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
I just think the market for “offense first 3rd line centers who are not good at D” is smaller than the team holding the asset thinks. He would be better at RW on the third line on a good team IMHO. The value of “young 3rd line winger” is very different than “young potential #2C”, so it’s a sketchy conversation to have in this thread.
I agree, the canucks shouldn't be looking to trade gaudette anyways, he holds more value to the team then what they would receive in a trade unless it's an overpayment for him which I don't think there would be any GMs who covet him that much but who knows.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I doubt there is a huge list of GM's just thinking...if I can only get Virtanen then the SC will be mine.......

He’s a good young player with great size and speed and has decent hands. Unfortunate he’s a bit unhappy with his situation in Vancouver. More than half the teams in the NHL would gladly sign him, trading for his rights means he’s yours as he doesn’t have much leverage being an RFA.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad