Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Just for shits and giggles, how far off in value are Juolevi and Lauzon?
From a Bruins fan, Juolevi has the pedigree but a less than happy attendance record. Lauzon is big and can move and fight, but since junior, appears to be allergic to offense.

Juolevi plays the left side and the Bruins could use some offensive potential there. Lauzon can play left or right and avoid scoring from either effortlessly.

I think the Bruins would probably need to add something, and while I fully admit Juolevi has far better potential, I'd be hesitant to add much.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m not as high on DeBrusk as Bruins fans seem to be but based on the tidbits that @wintersej shared earlier, Virtanen isn’t close to him. On physical tools and glancing at a scoresheet, it may be somewhat close, but when you look at Virtanen’s defense and how he affected his linemates’ play, it’s not even close. Just for shits and giggles, how far off in value are Juolevi and Lauzon?

Seems like a pretty pointless deal for Van as Juolevi has the higher upside and even if he doesn’t reach it, it’s at best a lateral move.
For what it’s worth I think Juolevi took a big jump up the defensive prospects chart for Van during the play in stretch and likely starts in the NHL next season. I think management holds onto him now that he’s finally healthy and sees what his potential is.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
  • Frederic+2nd for Virtanen?

That’s the kind of deal I personally think makes sense, with both these teams on the phone looking for better deals elsewhere. The Canucks want to clear some space and not lose physicality in the bottom 6. Bruins have some cap space for an upgrade and a need for more physicality, but are there better places for the Bruins to use there cap space in these strange times?

Reactions: travis scott

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That’s the kind of deal I personally think makes sense, with both these teams on the phone looking for better deals elsewhere. The Canucks want to clear some space and not lose physicality in the bottom 6. Bruins have some cap space for an upgrade and a need for more physicality, but are there better places for the Bruins to use there cap space in these strange times?
Your take is pretty accurate.

The deal that I want the Canucks to make is Virtanen+Gaudette for Anderson+Nutivara. Fans of both teams like the trade. If that isn’t possible, then I would move on to trading Virtanen for picks/prospects, and Frederic+2nd fits what we want.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I can't remember all the details, but there were a few things pointing to Virtanen being a problem.

He showed up to camp not in shape to training camp standards 2 times in the past 5 seasons including the most recent season although he always for whatever reason finds a way to make his way back onto the main roster and continues to win fastest skating competitions at our skills competition. H'es 61 225, and that's pretty big for a a height of 6'1. but his speed is there.

showing to training camp out of shape can mean he didn't work hard enough during the off season.

During the so called Season on hold, he took a lot of heat for taking a selfie video of him while driving, although this was more a representation of immaturity and to some extent recklessness since it is illegal in B.C to use a phone and drive at the same time.

There was also a video of him at a club, 10 days before our training camp this summer, (although this one based on their own opinions) since clubs are allowed to open at this point, players are known to "visit" clubs. Some fans didn't like it he went to a club, although they are allowed to be opened, some fans though defended his right to go wherever he wants if he's not breaking the law! He's not a kid he's an adult etc etc. Others though with trainimg camp around the corner he shouldn't be going out to places he doesn't have too there is a chance he can catch covid 19 and effect the entire team.

He has more maturity issues then poor attitude. As a person he's not a bad kid at all. Fans that met him in person always have nothing but positive things to say about him. On the ice, he will protect his teamates and not back down, case in point in round 1 when Pettersson got smoked from Behind Virtanen dropped the gloves with the culprit right away. Virtanen did his best to make himself useful by just finishing checks after checks. Despite his limited ice time during the playoffs he leads our team in recorded hits.

I won't argue about peoples opinions about his immaturity. Although I will say I hope people don't mix up bad attidue with him just being immature. Im my opinon bad attitude is someone like maybe Drouin or Lias Andersson, both these players refused to stay in the AHL and demanded a trade, etc etc. Virtanen didn't do any of that and literally does what Green literally tells him to do.

Overall I think playing in his home town city with the spotlight on any player can be big for him. A change like going to an american city where the spot-lite is not all on the NHL team can really help, since they have a NFL, NBA and MLB teams in Boston.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I still think it’s closer than Boeser for Carlo. Virtanen outscored DeBrusk this season (more games but still) and plays a heavier game which Boston likes. I also didn’t say straight up. Both are 2nd/3rd line tweeners. I guess I value Virtanen more than you do and probably see DeBrusk as less than you see him as. Not as awful as you’re making it out to be but I get hyperbole is a regular thing on these forums.

Having said that, I get that trade doesn’t make sense. I think it’s likely something smaller occurs.

I agree that it's likely something smaller around picks/prospects for Virtanen's rights.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Your take is pretty accurate.

The deal that I want the Canucks to make is Virtanen+Gaudette for Anderson+Nutivara. Fans of both teams like the trade. If that isn’t possible, then I would move on to trading Virtanen for picks/prospects, and Frederic+2nd fits what we want.

That's a high price for Virtanen but I also think this year and his skillsets make it one Benning could get. Benning can still sell him as a player with upside and ask for that package. Ironically, the Bruins trying to get a 'Neely' type may give one away (not saying he is a power-forward but he may have an immediate impact as a physical and contributing 3rd liner who responds to the Reaves' opponents and can score).

Reactions: travis scott

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He showed up to camp not in shape to training camp standards 2 times in the past 5 seasons including the most recent season although he always for whatever reason finds a way to make his way back onto the main roster and continues to win fastest skating competitions at our skills competition. H'es 61 225, and that's pretty big for a a height of 6'1. but his speed is there.

showing to training camp out of shape can mean he didn't work hard enough during the off season.

During the so called Season on hold, he took a lot of heat for taking a selfie video of him while driving, although this was more a representation of immaturity and to some extent recklessness since it is illegal in B.C to use a phone and drive at the same time.

There was also a video of him at a club, 10 days before our training camp this summer, (although this one based on their own opinions) since clubs are allowed to open at this point, players are known to "visit" clubs. Some fans didn't like it he went to a club, although they are allowed to be opened, some fans though defended his right to go wherever he wants if he's not breaking the law! He's not a kid he's an adult etc etc. Others though with trainimg camp around the corner he shouldn't be going out to places he doesn't have too there is a chance he can catch covid 19 and effect the entire team.

He has more maturity issues then poor attitude. As a person he's not a bad kid at all. Fans that met him in person always have nothing but positive things to say about him. On the ice, he will protect his teamates and not back down, case in point in round 1 when Pettersson got smoked from Behind Virtanen dropped the gloves with the culprit right away. Virtanen did his best to make himself useful by just finishing checks after checks. Despite his limited ice time during the playoffs he leads our team in recorded hits.

I won't argue about peoples opinions about his immaturity. Although I will say I hope people don't mix up bad attidue with him just being immature. Im my opinon bad attitude is someone like maybe Drouin or Lias Andersson, both these players refused to stay in the AHL and demanded a trade, etc etc. Virtanen didn't do any of that and literally does what Green literally tells him to do.

Overall I think playing in his home town city with the spotlight on any player can be big for him. A change like going to an american city where the spot-lite is not all on the NHL team can really help, since they have a NFL, NBA and MLB teams in Boston.

Well said. He really just needs a new team to be playing on, a new city with new expectations and no friends and family around or visiting because of Covid-19. What perfect timing for him to be brought under Bergeron's wing and finding himself in a new city with new rules and expectations.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Seems like a pretty pointless deal for Van as Juolevi has the higher upside and even if he doesn’t reach it, it’s at best a lateral move.
For what it’s worth I think Juolevi took a big jump up the defensive prospects chart for Van during the play in stretch and likely starts in the NHL next season. I think management holds onto him now that he’s finally healthy and sees what his potential is.

Just spitballing and also trying to gauge value on Juolevi and to a lesser extent Lauzon. I’d be interested in Juolevi as a Chicago fan but I totally understand if he’s not available atm. He’s someone I always liked.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think it costs this much to get Virtanen out of Vancouver.
Personally I'd rather just give Frederic a shot and live with a few growing pains. Bruins are gonna need as many chances that one if their centers sticks after the Bergeron/Krejci era. Even if he's playing on the wing to start off.

Frederic plays at a more important position, and his AHL totals aren't that far off of what Virtanen did. If Frederic was a straight winger, I'd probably pull the trigger, but as a center, I'm hesitant moving any of them. Just not a position of strength to move. Unless it's for a young center.

Reactions: Coach Parker

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Personally I'd rather just give Frederic a shot and live with a few growing pains. Bruins are gonna need as many chances that one if their centers sticks after the Bergeron/Krejci era. Even if he's playing on the wing to start off.

Frederic plays at a more important position, and his AHL totals aren't that far off of what Virtanen did. If Frederic was a straight winger, I'd probably pull the trigger, but as a center, I'm hesitant moving any of them. Just not a position of strength to move. Unless it's for a young center.
IMO the Bruins need a capable 3c and that would move Coyle back to the wing which would solve 2 problems. 1 it would give them a top 6 rh rw, and 2 coyle is better on the wing anyways.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Maybe something around gaudette and virtanen to the bruins could work? Gaudette is an offensive 3c, but that wouldn't be a problem for the Bruins since the bergeron line is elite at defending and is matched against other teams top lines.

marchand-bergeron-pastrnak
debrusk-krejci-coyle
ritchie-gaudette-kase

Reactions: Cogburn

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
IMO the Bruins need a capable 3c and that would move Coyle back to the wing which would solve 2 problems. 1 it would give them a top 6 rh rw, and 2 coyle is better on the wing anyways.
Bruins are pretty happy with Coyle as 3C (and likely eventual 2C). I think they did try him when they first acquired him on the wing, but played much better once moved to C. Not against this idea, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe something around gaudette and virtanen to the bruins could work? Gaudette is an offensive 3c, but that wouldn't be a problem for the Bruins since the bergeron line is elite at defending and is matched against other teams top lines.

marchand-bergeron-pastrnak
debrusk-krejci-coyle
ritchie-gaudette-kase

I don't know what the cost would be for both would be though. It seems a tough sell to get a single, better asset (say Carlo) for less valuable pieces. Do any Bruins fans feel comfortable making an offer for both?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I don't know what the cost would be for both would be though. It seems a tough sell to get a single, better asset (say Carlo) for less valuable pieces. Do any Bruins fans feel comfortable making an offer for both?
If there's any team that historically is known to take quantity for quality... the Bruins are it.

That said, I hope thats not the case here. Ideally at this stage, the Bruins are getting the best player back in whatever situation is happening, instead of receiving the quantity. As someone else suggested acquiring Gaudette, I'm not against that, just don't know what the right return would be that fan bases are going to agree with. I don't know much about Gaudette besides his name, so I'm not the best to gauge his value.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Well said. He really just needs a new team to be playing on, a new city with new expectations and no friends and family around or visiting because of Covid-19. What perfect timing for him to be brought under Bergeron's wing and finding himself in a new city with new rules and expectations.

As long as Jake is in Vancouver, he's going to be compared to Ehlers/Nylander. Being in his hometown and having that comfort also doesn't help push the message of what he needs to do to take the next step in the NHL.

Reactions: Coach Parker

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
No Coyle is way way better in the middle

I would also really like to preface that Gaudette has shown to be entirely more effective as a winger than a center.

He's turning 24 next week. So he might still have time to carve out a place as a two-way C, but right now as a player he should be seen as a RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad