Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I have a bias again but what about the Canucks getting a 2nd from Boston and Lauzon and then going after Fabbro to reunite Lauzon - Fabbro as a pairing from the WJC Canada roster?

I know most would have been happy with a NHL prospect and 2nd for Virtanen and this is a solid offer. I know Bruins fans would be reluctant to part with Zboril (also from that WJC tournament but from Czech Republic) because he was leading the Bruins D in Providence and looks NHL ready.

Both are NHL ready LHD. Lauzon can play the right side as well. Both are slotted to play on the Bruins this year.
I mean I’d do it if it’s the best offer we got but I don’t see where Lauzon fits. The left side is a lock to be Hughes-Edler-Juolevi. The right side will have Tanev-Myers-Stetcher/Rafferty. Unless Tanev walks?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I mean I’d do it if it’s the best offer we got but I don’t see where Lauzon fits. The left side is a lock to be Hughes-Edler-Juolevi. The right side will have Tanev-Myers-Stetcher/Rafferty. Unless Tanev walks?
Yeah the right side is really only one in question this season... stecher and tanev are both question marks.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Yeah the right side is really only one in question this season... stecher and tanev are both question marks.

I think Sweeney is posturing with DeBrusk (RFA) and values Carlo too much to move him for anything but a proven, young top 6 winger).

I wonder if this will be a lower tier trade. Connor Clifton is a really intriguing player. In fact I love the kid. He plays with "truculence" as Burke-y would say, hits way above his weight and he is a great value. He has offensive upside. If unleashed, he can be a rushing D and one on one threat. There is also John Moore who can play both sides. I don't know if Benning is looking at him though, but he is a pro.

Just saying, this might not be a massive blockbuster but there may be a move where the Bruins deal from a position of strength a younger guy or a veteran who can play RD and they get back picks/prospects or a usable player.

Sweeney is pretty smart and knows Benning well. If there is a deal I am sure they work together, but I wonder if it will be for higher tier players.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Well I think Hoglander has too 6 potential.

Rathbone is arguably the Canucks best d prospect and certainly has pairing potential.

maybe they aren’t as high ceiling as Podz but the Canucks can not afford to trade any more prospects.
They can if the player they are getting is also young and fills their biggest need.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would consider Hoglander just as valuable as Podz. Podz just has the recency bias but Hoglander is just as likely to make an impact on the team as Pods when they both do come overseas. Different type of players of course.

Maybe im higher than most on Hoglander but i see a little S%&T disturbor with skill, a mini Brad Marchand.

Don't forget that Hoglander was leading the WJC in scoring in the tournament before he got suspended in the semi finals for a hit to the head.
What recency bias? They are from the same draft. After watching both players, Podkolzin is on a completely different level. Big physical winger with speed and skill. And he doesn’t play with his tail tucked between his legs half the time like Virtanen, he has a mean streak and is a real PWF.

Hoglander is small and has issues with his skating. That is a bad combination and although I think he is a good prospect with a chance to become an NHLer, he is not on the same level as podkolzin.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Hoglander is small and has issues with his skating. That is a bad combination and although I think he is a good prospect with a chance to become an NHLer, he is not on the same level as podkolzin.

Does he? Everything I have read seems to say his skating is top notch.

I believe Podkolzin has a better chance of being a difference making NHL player, but if Hoglander does hit his full potential he is star material.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If not for Virtanen/Boeser - DeBrusk/Carlo, who do you guys think have a chance getting moved?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If not for Virtanen/Boeser - DeBrusk/Carlo, who do you guys think have a chance getting moved?

I don’t think it’s Gaudette, no fit in Boston. It’s certainly not one of the Canucks million cap dumps. Only makes sense that Boston is after one of the RWs.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Word is Virtanen is being discussed. Outside of Debrusk and Carlo, I don't see what else we would interested in that won't cost a fortune on top of JV(ie McAvoy)

Edit:

Dubnyk had an off year last year, but previous years had good stats. How about a 3way deal?
Van: Carlo, Dubnyk
Wild:Baerschi (1m retained)
Boston: Virtanen, Wild 2020 2nd.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Word is Virtanen is being discussed. Outside of Debrusk and Carlo, I don't see what else we would interested in that won't cost a fortune on top of JV(ie McAvoy)

Edit:

Dubnyk had an off year last year, but previous years had good stats. How about a 3way deal?

The reason the Bruins wouldn’t take Virtanen + 2nd for Carlo is the same reason your wouldn’t want Bjork + 2nd for Virtanen. No one wants a clearly worse asset and just a risky asset like a 2nd to try to make up the difference.

The reason why the Canucks might do that is because they are trying to squeeze in under the cap. The Bruins have no reason the blow up their top 4 to make their 3rd line better.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Edit:

So Boston gives up a young solid 3/4 dman for a problem child and 2nd, yup never going to happen.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Edit:

Wait, why are the Wild giving up 39th overall for an AHL player with a 2.4M cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad