Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ COVID cases now over 20 (players, staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
There’s a rapid test (15 minutes I think?) available. Why aren’t we using that before practices, and still getting the other test too? If this did start with Gaudette it might have been contained if better testing was used. Thinking of a guy like Hamonic, who has the vulnerable child, and it just makes sense for the team to by hyper vigilant, doesn’t it?

If it's a cost or supply prohibitive thing then save them for what I proposed, using them if a team has a positive result on game days to know whether the game should be canceled.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Heard a guy (Jang?) on CKNW this morning talking about what if the Canucks don’t play any more games. He said the team might forfeit those games 0-1. How does that effect the draft though? We would go 0-19 over the remaining games. Our record would be really bad.

Reactions: mriswith

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
There’s a rapid test (15 minutes I think?) available. Why aren’t we using that before practices, and still getting the other test too? If this did start with Gaudette it might have been contained if better testing was used. Thinking of a guy like Hamonic, who has the vulnerable child, and it just makes sense for the team to by hyper vigilant, doesn’t it?
Rapid tests may be too unreliable.

Still could have gotten the reliable test - is it PCR? whatever it is called - such that the Monday positive was known by the end of the day on Monday. In which case that player doesn't take to the ice on Tuesday, and team could delay Tuesday morning skate until Tuesday results are in later that day.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Heard a guy (Jang?) on CKNW this morning talking about what if the Canucks don’t play any more games. He said the team might forfeit those games 0-1. How does that effect the draft though? We would go 0-19 over the remaining games. Our record would be really bad.

I have a feeling the NHL will figure out a way to make up for those games. They may even propose a salary cap exception and allow this team to sign a bunch of guys on PTO's or draw guys from utica to finish it off. Way too much money on the line to forfeit.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I just want to say that just because people don't die from the virus, it doesn't mean that they don't have long term health effects. I believe I contracted Covid in February because I hadn't had anything like it before and the effects from it lasted for about 5-6 months. My chest and back would feel like they were in vices and any kind of exercise I did would destroy me -- even just a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood. That's coming from a person who, at that time, was doing 10+ hours a day of physical labor and not having a problem. If any of these athletes lose even just 5% of their cardio ability then that's going to be devastating for their career.
Yeah Marco Rossi is an example. Hopefully none of our guys are outliers.

Even if they just have flu like symptoms and then recover and are fine, no long term virus effects, it's still going to hurt this season significantly, athletes at that level are so finely tuned that it doesn't take a huge disruption to ruin things in the short term. Look at the Blues in the bubble vs their regular season play for an example. I didn't follow Dallas' situation this season but for a team that just went to the conference finals, their regular season has been rough and they had that big covid mess to start the season.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have a feeling the NHL will figure out a way to make up for those games. They may even propose a salary cap exception and allow this team to sign a bunch of guys on PTO's or draw guys from utica to finish it off. Way too much money on the line to forfeit.
I did hear we called up some players, including Brisbois and that Sivlos goalie. Utica was in Covid protocol too though, so it might be hard to get guys from that team.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I might prefer that. You have to wonder at the injury risk to the players having to recondition mid season days after fighting off a covid infection and then heading straight into a condensed schedule with make up games.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

There's no indication they would forfeit games. If they couldn't play out the season, they would probably just get seeded based on point %.

Reactions: Jack Burton

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Imagine if the team runs short on players due to the outbreak and Sven Baertschi still can't get into the lineup. Or Mikey Dipietro still can't get game action.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

We would probably still have a better record than Buffalo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's no indication they would forfeit games. If they couldn't play out the season, they would probably just get seeded based on point %.
Playing with an AHL/CHL roster might be like forfeiting games.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You got me there... but next time you won't be so lucky.

upload_2021-4-5_14-10-53.png

Reactions: WTG and Jack Burton

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The thing that's still weird to me about the timeline is Virtanen being "sick" on the Tuesday and then doing the gameday skate on the Wednesday. If he was sick, did he not come in for testing on Tuesday? And if not, does that mean he was tested Wednesday morning and then practiced with the team without having any confirmed negative tests, since we know the Wednesday results wouldn't be available until later?

Obviously Virtanen has somehow avoided it so that's not the issue, I'm just wondering if that's what actually went down and if so why is the protocol so flawed. You would think someone who was "sick" would have to at least confirm negative before he joined the team again. And maybe he did and we haven't been made aware of how that went down.

I don't know, I just find the whole timeline in this situation curious and hopefully it's explained at some point.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I have also tried to find data on the variants and have come up short. It appears to be too early to have data on how much more harmful it is, we seem to only know it spreads easier so far.

Also from your link, the 0.2% mortality rate you're talking about is case fatality rate.

The number that really matters is IFR, infection fatality rate, which is the real probability of dying.

People have been mixing this up the whole pandemic and it's a pretty important distinction since cases are dependent on us testing and catching the infections, but with almost half of covid infections being asymptomatic, cases will never match the full extent of community spread. IFR is what epidemiologists use to determine the actual mortality rate.

Not gonna get into IFR and covid on this forum any further than that though. If anyone has links to non-anecdotal data on the variants I'm interested.

Here is an article on P1, that should be sobering to everyone in BC and beyond. This variant is a beast and could over run our hospitals. Hospitals are already talking about changing their protocols because it is far more dangerous than the first. Doctors in Canada are very worried. We all should be.

Covid.Why the P.1 Variant Poses So Great a Threat to BC | The Tyee

Reactions: m9

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This thread is the epitome of what is going on in the world right now.

Some people are clueless, stupid or a combination of both.

I knew the state of the human race was pretty sad before COVID and I had hoped that with a pandemic, people could come together for once.

And it was that way for a little while.

Now it’s back to a shit fest again.

Regardless of what has happened and who said what, the only thing that should matter is everyone’s health and safety.

End of.

You are right. This pandemic seems to be bring out the worst in some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad