Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ COVID cases now over 20 (players, staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
If these are the worst of the symptoms for anyone within the Canucks’ breakout then that’s pretty lucky.

Won't really know for a while. Glad the current symptoms aren't terrible.(still sound like they really suck).

The potential for longterm damage remains a concern.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If these are the worst of the symptoms for anyone within the Canucks’ breakout then that’s pretty lucky.

To be fair this is only reporting Sutters symptoms and experience. It's not saying that Sutter's experience is the worse out of everyone on the team. There could be guys going through a lot worse.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think anybody on these boards or the media was implying that anyone on the Canucks was 'dying' of COVID.

But I harken back to an interview Fred Van Vleet of the TO Raptors did on Sportsnet after he also recovered from COVID. Although he was symptom free and back on the court, he reports that the virus seriously impacted his conditioning and energy. And he said he was still feeling the effects a month later.

I have no doubts it'll be the same for a lot of Canuck players. Being thrust back into the action of heated NHL playoff race after being off skates and in sick bay for two weeks, is far from 'ideal'. That's why you have to question the wisdom of reviving the season at all.

But the NHL seems determined that the Canucks will play a full 56-game schedule, although I don't see how.

Reactions: Peen

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don't think anybody on these boards or the media was implying that anyone on the Canucks was 'dying' of COVID.

But I harken back to an interview Fred Van Vleet of the TO Raptors did on Sportsnet after he also recovered from COVID. Although he was symptom free and back on the court, he reports that the virus seriously impacted his conditioning and energy. And he said he was still feeling the effects a month later.

I have no doubts it'll be the same for a lot of Canuck players. Being thrust back into the action of heated NHL playoff race after being off skates and in sick bay for two weeks, is far from 'ideal'. That's why you have to question the wisdom of reviving the season at all.

But the NHL seems determined that the Canucks will play a full 56-game schedule, although I don't see how.
Literally no media member has said anyone is dying etc. No media member has made it out to be worse than it is.

What has happened is a Canuck player had the "feels". And a bottom tier journalist from Winnipeg instead of doing his actual job of asking questions took said statement from said player and barfed it out on twitter.

Reactions: rypper

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I tried to put that out there as that is the typical course for the virus with this demographic, but people here don't want to hear factual information. A lot of people here have tried to spin this into the most catastrophic event imaginable.

This is why you can't take anything said about management or Benning seriously, because the same thing happens with management, that has happened in this thread - things get greatly exaggerated, or there are flat out fabrications.

Truth is treason... Lol.

You f***ing serious? "Nothing that lists managements moves exactly as they are can be taken as truth. McCann, 2nd and 4th picks for Gudbranson and a 5th never happened".

Your covid knowledge is wanting at best, as has been demonstrated multiple times over the past months with your overoptimistic and naive projections. I seem to recall you expecting fans in the stands in Canada by end of March, as you posted awhile back.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I believe the numbers sometimes . . . cited . . . include players on the taxi squad.

Are taxi squad cases included on the NHL list, or are they hidden?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You f***ing serious? "Nothing that lists managements moves exactly as they are can be taken as truth. McCann, 2nd and 4th picks for Gudbranson and a 5th never happened".

Your covid knowledge is wanting at best, as has been demonstrated multiple times over the past months with your overoptimistic and naive projections. I seem to recall you expecting fans in the stands in Canada by end of March, as you posted awhile back.
I think if you spell Logan backwards it spells Weisbrod.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This thread is the epitome of what is going on in the world right now.

Some people are clueless, stupid or a combination of both.

I knew the state of the human race was pretty sad before COVID and I had hoped that with a pandemic, people could come together for once.

And it was that way for a little while.

Now it’s back to a shit fest again.

Regardless of what has happened and who said what, the only thing that should matter is everyone’s health and safety.

End of.

Reactions: stampedingviking

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I believe the numbers sometimes . . . cited . . . include players on the taxi squad.

Are taxi squad cases included on the NHL list, or are they hidden?

Hidden, but a couple name have gotten out there. It's not mandatory for them to release it.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
What study has shown it is more severe in 20 to 30 year olds? What I have seen is anecdotal evidence from doctors, who say it is more deadly, while others say it is not. The Brazilian variant spreads easier, so more young people are getting it, which equals more deaths. That will get interpreted as "more deadly with young people". Also, Brazil is so out of control that the system there gets over loaded to the point where people don't get proper medical care. That also contributes to the perception that the more contagious variant is more deadly.

Even if it is more deadly, like the UK variant that is said to be 1.5 times more deadly than regular Covid, it is still very low risk for young people. The mortality rate for 20-29 having Covid 19 in Canada is 0.2% If the Brazilian variant is as deadly as the UK variant, then that mortality rate increases to 0.3%. Still a very small number.

Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada - Canada.ca
I have also tried to find data on the variants and have come up short. It appears to be too early to have data on how much more harmful it is, we seem to only know it spreads easier so far.

Also from your link, the 0.2% mortality rate you're talking about is case fatality rate.

The number that really matters is IFR, infection fatality rate, which is the real probability of dying.

People have been mixing this up the whole pandemic and it's a pretty important distinction since cases are dependent on us testing and catching the infections, but with almost half of covid infections being asymptomatic, cases will never match the full extent of community spread. IFR is what epidemiologists use to determine the actual mortality rate.

Not gonna get into IFR and covid on this forum any further than that though. If anyone has links to non-anecdotal data on the variants I'm interested.

Reactions: m9

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I have also tried to find data on the variants and have come up short. It appears to be too early to have data on how much more harmful it is, we seem to only know it spreads easier so far.

Also from your link, the 0.2% mortality rate you're talking about is case fatality rate.

The number that really matters is IFR, infection fatality rate, which is the real probability of dying.

People have been mixing this up the whole pandemic and it's a pretty important distinction since cases are dependent on us testing and catching the infections, but with almost half of covid infections being asymptomatic, cases will never match the full extent of community spread. IFR is what epidemiologists use to determine the actual mortality rate.

Not gonna get into IFR and covid on this forum any further than that though. If anyone has links to non-anecdotal data on the variants I'm interested.

Good points. I was going to bring that up when one person kept saying 3 out of every 1000 young people with Covid were dying. Obviously that is not true.

Reactions: mriswith

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Yup, Canucks players will come back, suffering deconditioning from their sickness and two weeks off, then they'll play an even more compressed schedule to make up the lost 2-3 weeks. I am hopeful that the team doesn't suffer any injuries as the result of this brutal schedule.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Good points. I was going to bring that up when one person kept saying 3 out of every 1000 young people with Covid were dying. Obviously that is not true.
Yeah the IFR data on covid has been out there for about a year now

It's easier to find now but it was surprisingly tough to find last summer.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I just want to say that just because people don't die from the virus, it doesn't mean that they don't have long term health effects. I believe I contracted Covid in February because I hadn't had anything like it before and the effects from it lasted for about 5-6 months. My chest and back would feel like they were in vices and any kind of exercise I did would destroy me -- even just a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood. That's coming from a person who, at that time, was doing 10+ hours a day of physical labor and not having a problem. If any of these athletes lose even just 5% of their cardio ability then that's going to be devastating for their career.

Reactions: m9 and rypper

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How come we weren’t following that protocol? Is that a provincial health thing?
Well, the protocols as written apparently don't require it.

MTL engaged in best practices from the beginning of the season, to go beyond the minimum of what the protocols apparently required. With regards to getting results of testing on same day.

Canucks did not, until after the outbreak.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Daniel Coombs on the Brazil variant of COVID-19 and the rate of transmission - Sportsnet.ca
UBC Epidemiologist Daniel Coombs stating that the NHL protocols were good .."what else are you going to do..?..Test them twice a day..?"...Seems to me that the weak link is what the players are doing away from the rink.

Starts talking about it around the 5 minute mark.

The easiest thing they could have done differently is waiting for test results to come back before running the days practices and morning skates.

That's just common sense and I don't know how it wasn't included in the protocols.

Once you have a positive test cancel all practices/skates until another round of testing is complete without any positives.

Ideally you'd postpone games as well if you had a positive test the day of, but for some reason I see the NHL having a problem with that. Perhaps on game days if you get a positive result you could turn to the rapid result tests a few hours later.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, the protocols as apparently written don't require it.

MTL engaged in best practices from the beginning of the season, to go beyond the minimum of what the protocols apparently required. With regards to getting results of testing on same day.

Canucks did not, until after the outbreak.
There’s a rapid test (15 minutes I think?) available. Why aren’t we using that before practices, and still getting the other test too? If this did start with Gaudette it might have been contained if better testing was used. Thinking of a guy like Hamonic, who has the vulnerable child, and it just makes sense for the team to by hyper vigilant, doesn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad