Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ COVID cases now over 20 (players, staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yes I suppose anyone who isn't onboard with the lock downs or current course of actions is a conspiracy theorist aren't they?

#someonestolemytinfoil

If a 1000 new cases a day and the worst outbreak of P1 variant in the world outside of Brazil doesnt get your attention i dont know what to tell you.

i wish you the best and sincerely hope it doesnt take a trip to the hospital to wake you up.

Be safe.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They didn’t hold practice after receiving news of Guadette’s positive test. They were in the middle of practice. I assume that they didn’t stop practice immediately but as others have pointed out, they were following protocol.

I wasn't 100% sure on the details with that but the timeline article someone posted lays it out.

[quote[
Tuesday, March 30
News begins to surface that Vancouver center Adam Gaudette left practice halfway through the session. During his post-practice availability, head coach Travis Green reveals Gaudette "had a positive test come in this morning and we're following NHL protocol and he left the ice."
The positive test was from the March 29 batch. Gaudette is added to the NHL's COVID protocol list later in the day.
Wednesday, March 31
The Canucks and the visiting Flames hold morning skates in preparation for their tilt that night at Rogers Arena. The Canucks skate at approximately 10:30 a.m. PT and the Flames an hour later.
While the hope was that Gaudette's test result was a false positive, Green confirms Gaudette is in COVID protocols but that it appeared just one player was affected and the game that night was going to happen.
"Last night we had a pretty good idea we were good to go this morning," Green said, adding later: "We're preparing to play. We haven't been told otherwise."[/quote]

So while what you say is true about the practice they still held the gameday morning skate the day after with a positive Gaudette test hoping it was a false positive. As far as Covid is concerned is a gameday skate isn't much different than a practice, and there's a reason why like 3/4's of the team has been infected.

Reactions: Dab and m9

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I think what most people here are saying is to just follow the guidelines so this whole debacle can be over with quick.

I live as an expat in Singapore, we followed masks, we followed the lock down. Google search cases in Singapore... only like 5-10 daily cases. Life is basically back to normal now, we can all go out. Also google Australia, they enacted a lockdown as well as enforcing mask wearing. Google Australia Covid, barely any cases left, my friends that live there don’t even need to wear masks anymore. They can go out to pubs, without wearing a mask. Life has basically gone back to normal there because they followed the guidelines and wore their masks.

Maybe you should learn about the world more before trying to teach kids Algebra, would not want my kids to be thought by your stupidity.

Gotcha - so maybe we should be more polite this time when asking the public to obey the lockdown? Cus this time it's gonna work if we ask nicely.......

I mean we haven't already tried this route like 9 times or so here have we? Maybe this time it will work? Like mayyybe? (let me give you a hint since you aren't here - people are fed the fawk up - regardless of what you think should happen it's not happening - so a new course of action is needed. Heavy fines and policing? Sure? Open things up a lot more? Sure - whatever it is the current circle jerk we are in IS NOT WORKING)

Since you live in Singapore (nice place btw but it's called the city with no soul for a reason - found it to be quite superficial there) and are educated I'm sure you are aware of what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.........which seems to be exactly what we are going through here.

At least we have outdoor dining! (which is kind of more like indoor dining cus they made outdoors indoors but hey who am I here).

Sorry not gonna apologize for not being on board with this load of horse manure even if every single person on this board calls me a conspiracy theorist or left wing wack - the exact reason we are in this predicament is cus too many people have bought the false bill of goods we have been sold and have easily accepted the narrative that we've been fed.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I wasn't 100% sure on the details with that but the timeline article someone posted lays it out.

Tuesday, March 30
News begins to surface that Vancouver center Adam Gaudette left practice halfway through the session. During his post-practice availability, head coach Travis Green reveals Gaudette "had a positive test come in this morning and we're following NHL protocol and he left the ice."
The positive test was from the March 29 batch. Gaudette is added to the NHL's COVID protocol list later in the day.
Wednesday, March 31
The Canucks and the visiting Flames hold morning skates in preparation for their tilt that night at Rogers Arena. The Canucks skate at approximately 10:30 a.m. PT and the Flames an hour later.
While the hope was that Gaudette's test result was a false positive, Green confirms Gaudette is in COVID protocols but that it appeared just one player was affected and the game that night was going to happen.
"Last night we had a pretty good idea we were good to go this morning," Green said, adding later: "We're preparing to play. We haven't been told otherwise."

So while what you say is true about the practice they still held the gameday morning skate the day after with a positive Gaudette test hoping it was a false positive. As far as Covid is concerned is a gameday skate isn't much different than a practice, and there's a reason why like 3/4's of the team has been infected.
Someone ? What am I, tox . . . oh . . . oh . . nvm, carry on

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Again, we can open beds for severe illness very quickly. We did it before, so it’s evident we can again, if needed. Of all the illness on the Canucks how many required hospitalization? Covid is bad news, and we all need to follow the health authority guidelines, but for those who do get severe illness (and it’s no one’s fault getting sick; it happens) we have hospital beds to care for them.
Hopefully this outbreak in the Canucks gets some younger people to be more careful, and follow the guidelines set out by their health authority.

Agree with you there.

If there is one good thing about the Canuck outbreak it might be the message it sends to the community, particularly about the P1 variant.

We also have to hope that the Canucks defy the odds and there is no long haul effects to the 18 or so players who have contacted a more serious version of Covid than the original.

Ruotsolanen said he didnt care about hockey after Covid, he was just happy he could breathe. Dahliwal who is a pretty good insider for info, said this is the first time he has heard Canuck players talking about whether they even want to finish the season.

While there has been varying speculation in the media abouyt the severity of player illnesses i dont think we should assume all these cases are mild and nothing to worry about. If that was the case, why has the hockey club itself provided so little information? If it was all no big deal i think they would have come out with a statement to that effect.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Here is an article on suicide numbers in Canada.

No surprise suicide falsehoods are being used to downplay how serious covid is.

Thank you for posting this, I was about to. It's not only in Canada, the early data supports this in the States and several European countries. Certainly people are dealing with mental health issues with the lockdown, but the data simply does not support this purported massive increase in suicide due to COVID. Even if suicides did increase it would not be anywhere near the level of deaths due to COVID (yes I know false reporting, etc etc. I work in the hospitals and health care research you don't need to give me front line anecdotes).

It's also not helpful to anyone suffering depression to open the doors and see their loved ones die of COVID. Or perhaps maybe think about how it would affect people that have extreme anxiety issues already and now we force them to go into offices, in the middle of a pandemic, when they know the healthcare system is overloaded and wouldn't be able to deal with them

No part of this situation is easy, but at the very least let's not start distorting suicide statistics.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Rapid tests may be too unreliable.

Still could have gotten the reliable test - is it PCR? whatever it is called - such that the Monday positive was known by the end of the day on Monday. In which case that player doesn't take to the ice on Tuesday, and team could delay Tuesday morning skate until Tuesday results are in later that day.

Antigen tests are borderline useless as they are highly inaccurate. Also there are many manufacturers and there no standard and little quality control so some can be really ineffective while the higher quality ones can work as a small filter to catch some cases (not all), while the downside being the false negatives which cause unnecessary quarantines.

PCR tests are ofcourse better but they also don't catch all cases. I can tell you about a friend who I had plans with who had a negative PCR test after their collegue they worked with closely tested positive. Two days later when they begun to feel a bit ill they took another test and were positive. In the meantime they spread it to several people they interacted with. It wasn't a big deal as no one at risk caught it but for me it was a first hand view of PCR tests simply not being able to catch all cases in the early stages while they are already infectious. You cant stop the virus you can just slow it at great costs.

Reactions: yoss

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Thank you for posting this, I was about to. It's not only in Canada, the early data supports this in the States and several European countries. Certainly people are dealing with mental health issues with the lockdown, but the data simply does not support this purported massive increase in suicide due to COVID. Even if suicides did increase it would not be anywhere near the level of deaths due to COVID (yes I know false reporting, etc etc. I work in the hospitals and health care research you don't need to give me front line anecdotes).

It's also not helpful to anyone suffering depression to open the doors and see their loved ones die of COVID. Or perhaps maybe think about how it would affect people that have extreme anxiety issues already and now we force them to go into offices, in the middle of a pandemic, when they know the healthcare system is overloaded and wouldn't be able to deal with them

No part of this situation is easy, but at the very least let's not start distorting suicide statistics.
Exactly.

Issues like mental health, food production/ distribution to the world's starving are big issues, but not dealing with covid makes those issues even worse. And things can be done to mitigate any negative effects covid policy can have.

Of course, most of those whining about mental health or global hunger never gave a ra . . . a rodent's ass about those issue before latching on to them to support their ideology.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Antigen tests are borderline useless as they are highly inaccurate. Also there are many manufacturers and there no standard and little quality control so some can be really ineffective while the higher quality ones can work as a small filter to catch some cases (not all), while the downside being the false negatives which cause unnecessary quarantines.

PCR tests are ofcourse better but they also don't catch all cases. I can tell you about a friend who I had plans with who had a negative PCR test after their collegue they worked with closely tested positive. Two days later when they begun to feel a bit ill they took another test and were positive. In the meantime they spread it to several people they interacted with. It wasn't a big deal as no one at risk caught it but for me it was a first hand view of PCR tests simply not being able to catch all cases in the early stages while they are already infectious. You cant stop the virus you can just slow it at great costs.
Why are you posting this?

I never stated nor implied PCR tests catch all cases, just that they are more accurate than rapid tests.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

More often than not it's just a narrative of the anti-masker, or anti-lock down moron who needs additional ammunition to try and sway the public to their line of thinking...its likely because they need to deflect away from their own selfish reasons for not wanting any sort of restrictive rules, and have a cause that's not about themselves (ie "won't somebody think of the poor depressed people that COVID is making kill themselves?") they can air as a grievance. Depression was a problem before covid and will be after covid, it's just a useful tool to use for the selfish right now.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Gotcha - you know how many people i know that have died from covid? ZERO

You know how many I people I know personally that have committed suicide this year (as a direct result from covid). THREE.
(these are not three people I read about in a newspaper or that were 80 years old either.......)

Avg age of covid related deaths is 78 or something like that........avg # of comorbidalities in all covid related deaths........4 I believe.

Avg number of candy bars and pepsi's a lockdown proponent consumes a week? 9. (Ok I made that last point up however I hope you can see where I am going here..........).

There are soo many things that are sooo wrong with this entire situation - I would attempt to explain however I think I would have better results teaching advanced algebra to a 4 year old then attempting to sway the minds of people who are onboard with the lockdowns or how things have been handled.

If none of the above makes you stop and pause and think hmmmm then hey good day to you......... as you were. I simply am not interested enough in the circle jerk that will ensue attempting to debate someone on this point - I'd rather shampoo my cat of do something else productive.

Lovely chatting...........
... you're really gross, you know that right.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
More often than not it's just a narrative of the anti-masker, or anti-lock down moron who needs additional ammunition to try and sway the public to their line of thinking...its likely because they need to deflect away from their own selfish reasons for not wanting any sort of restrictive rules, and have a cause that's not about themselves (ie "won't somebody think of the poor depressed people that COVID is making kill themselves?") they can air as a grievance. Depression was a problem before covid and will be after covid, it's just a useful tool to use for the selfish right now.

Thank you for this post. You boiled the whole issue down to one word. SELFISH.

Those who dont want to follow health and safety protocols designed to keep the whole community as safe as possible are nothing but SELFISH. They somehow think that them and their families are the only ones who have made sacrifices and should be able to ignore protocols.

As sick of that as I am of Covid.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012

Yup. Trust me it's my line of work and I hear these things everyday. Despite data to shoot it down no one will let it go. I guess google university is more useful than a PhD these days (something something COVID sheep, illuminati, chemtrails and so on).

These people are always happy to have a prescription filled of a drug made by modern medicine, have an X-ray to diagnose a broken bone and set it, have an MRI to understand the source of their brain trauma, but when that same modern medicine says they need to take a month off getting pints at the bar because the world is facing an unprecedented global health crises, then suddenly it's all wrong.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Here is an article on suicide numbers in Canada.

No surprise suicide falsehoods are being used to downplay how serious covid is.

In Czech Republic there were only 11800 or so deaths while covid positive in 2020. But there were over 16000 excess deaths from the 5 year average. There is a huge number of extra deaths. I have certainly learned to not trust the media during covid though I can't dispute that in Canada suicides and excess deaths are below normal. I just think there is a lot of bs out there. People really need to think twice about what information they are ingesting right now.

Reactions: yoss

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Becoming a serious matter but the BC Government seems hell bent on continuing with the status quo. No idea how the NHL can continue under these conditions unless they mandate some sort of full lockdown with their own players.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I really think we will see more restrictions in the next couple of days.

I don't think so. The same restrictions have worked before to quell the tide of cases, but it takes 2 weeks to take effect. So far the cases have leveled off at around 1000 per day. Number of deaths is down relative to the number of cases, and that is likely because the vaccine is in the ost vulnerable people, so the vaccine is having a positive effect. Hospitalizations will start to drop soon too, then after that daily cases. By the end of this onth we will have around 40% with at least one dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad