Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ COVID cases now over 20 (players, staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
In Czech Republic there were only 11800 or so deaths while covid positive in 2020. But there were over 16000 excess deaths from the 5 year average. There is a huge number of extra deaths. I have certainly learned to not trust the media during covid though I can't dispute that in Canada suicides and excess deaths are below normal. I just think there is a lot of bs out there. People really need to think twice about what information they are ingesting right now.
Next time just leave it at "I can't dispute that in Canada suicides and excess deaths are below normal."

I have no idea what you are implying about Czech Republic. Presumably that there were thousands of covid related deaths that were not officially classified as such, but who knows? It's the kind of vague statement posted on the internet that gives people bad information, and I have been warned not to ingest it.

Reactions: Dab

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I really think we will see more restrictions in the next couple of days.

They will do jack shit since they don't have the ****s to do anything. They need to shutdown schools, mall (and retail) and step up worksafe inspections on unsafe job sites in addition to forcing employers to let staff work from home.

Instead, you'll hear more pleas and cries for kindness.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't think so. The same restrictions have worked before to quell the tide of cases, but it takes 2 weeks to take effect. So far the cases have leveled off at around 1000 per day. Number of deaths is down relative to the number of cases, and that is likely because the vaccine is in the ost vulnerable people, so the vaccine is having a positive effect. Hospitalizations will start to drop soon too, then after that daily cases. By the end of this onth we will have around 40% with at least one dose.

A key difference is the variants. They are more transmissible so the same restrictions that worked with the original COVID might not work against the P1 and UK variant which are spreading quite quickly.

Usually, numbers on holidays are lower than normal too. Tuesday and Wednesday could very likely set records.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's going to be records all month. You have the gasoline (P1 variant ) next door to the matches (Fraser Health) and once they inevitably cross over it will be a mess.

But vaccines and school ending will mitigate in a couple months. You'll probably see some schools close earlier though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hospitalizations were also up. With a rolling average of 900+, the variants spreading and causing younger people to have more severe symptoms, there will be more pressure to put more restrictions.

It just really sucks this happening when we are so close to getting a good portion of the population vaccinated.
Are we?...the last report I saw was 7%....The UK and US have over 25% of their population vaccinated.
https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.dig...ploads/2021/03/NA0330-vaccine-rollout_Web.png

edit..US has 22%

Last edited:

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
So while what you say is true about the practice they still held the gameday morning skate the day after with a positive Gaudette test hoping it was a false positive. As far as Covid is concerned is a gameday skate isn't much different than a practice, and there's a reason why like 3/4's of the team has been infected.

yup, so incredibly reckless to hold this morning skate. They hoped and they were wrong.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Reactions: yoss

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada

That's 22 total. Nothing about staff other than coaches. If all 3 bench coaches have it, that still leaves 19 players.

To clarify, I haven't seen anything reported about staff other than the coaches having it, if there is a report of that I stand corrected.

17 Players and looks like 3 Coaches from other things I read so now number is at 20 for both players and coaches

Attachments

• 20210405_204435.jpg
    20210405_204435.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
BC has never implemented a lockdown. They have only put in restrictions.

From the same article “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”
I mean I'm just responding to the quote chain where people started saying anyone against lockdowns is a conspiracy theorist, which is a dumb and obviously ideological statement that should be called out.

The article is referring to when hospitals get overrun.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
From the same article “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”
Feels like a good time to actually have a lockdown.

Meanwhile during our terrible awful totalitarian human rights destroying mental health ruining global catastrophe creating "lockdown" here in BC, people are dining out at the restaurants in my neighborhood. Such a tough lockdown.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Reactions: canucksfan

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@lousy
I take it the word that offended you was "glorified", maybe even the concept of "glorified daycare".

If you drop the word glorified it's just daycare. No matter how you look at it from any angle top to bottom or even upside down school does substitute for daycare. The kids we hope are in a quality school, where they are receiving top notch education form dedicated top notch educators. You must know that is not true in all cases. There are rotten apples in all baskets and educators are no different and takes a little while to whittle the bad ones out. All schools are not equal either. However, we are not talking about the exceptions. We are talking about the good ones with the good teachers.

The kids of 2 working parents are with those "good" teachers for the better part of a full work day. Many of those "good" schools provide after school supervision for the kids until a parent picks them up after work rather than have the kids go home to an empty house until one parent gets home. Schools that don't provide that service send the kids home at the end of the school day. The kids that go to an unsupervised home are called latch key kids because they have their own key, let themselves into the house, and latch the door until Mom or Dad gets home. Some parents pay someone in the immediate neighborhood to take their kids in or some hire a person to come in and stay with them until a parent comes home.

Let me post this from this mornings paper. It comes from Associated Press reporter Christopher Rugaber:

"Nearly 2.5 million women lost jobs and stopped looking for work during the pandemic. In most cases, experts said, it was because so many children were suddenly stuck at home, going to school online, and THEIR PARENTS LACKED AVAILABLE or AFFORDABLE CHILD CARE (the caps. are mine). Better child care options or more flexible work schedules would be needed to fully reverse the trend."

Millions and millions of parents rely on the schools for the supervision of their kids while they are also being educated, fed, and kept safe. Minus the educating part this is child care. It is free. The Parents can work and bring all of their paychecks home and contribute the money to the funding the family budget.

When schools are closed the family budget takes a hit. NY state runs a 180 day school year. With school holidays and vacations it works out to a 40 week school year. This mean the kids are out for 12 weeks of summer. Families have to plan for how to deal with these weeks and still work. Some have family that takes care of it at no cost. Others have to hire someone to stay with the kids all day. That group loses money from the normal budget over the summer. Some families build that into the annual budget and set the summer money aside bit by bit so it's there to handle the summer outlay, but it has hit the weekly budget all year long. Unexpected days off create chaos for a lot of folks who are not good at planning for unexpected happenings:

Snow days! The following schools are closed due to today's snow emergency. S-H-I-TTTTTTTT! What are we going to do with the kids. It really becomes Hell when the snow emergency goes beyond that one day. Our school district in agreement with the Teacher's union plans for 10 snow days. If they are not used they fitted somewhere into the rest of the school calendar. Usually extending the single Memorial Day of into a longer number of days, usually the Friday before and the Tuseday after. Mild winter? Still more days? Late Easter? spread them evenly before and a after the scheduled days off.
Why not just attend school for the number of days that you didn't use? Most school unions go by the letter of the contract. The teachers work 180 days. The schools won't pay for the extra days and we (the teachers) don't work for free.

What about the unforseen events.
Phoned in bomb scares before school. School is closed.
Phoned in bomb scare during school. Evacuation and in many cases students sent home, particularly in inclement weather. Can't keep the kids standing out in the cold, snow, rain for hours while the police bomb squads search the school.
Shooting incident.
Practice for an active shooter on the premises.
Water main break. Against the law to hold school without running water.
Major power failure especially in the winter.
There are more.
Some parents literally go mad at these times. So many employers don't give a shit. Workers are not allowed to leave or if they do they are docked pay for the time they are gone.

So my upset friend, this discussion has never been about the schools, the dedicated teachers, the work they do, the work they carry home every night, the sacrifices they make, the low pay they receive when compared to individuals with the same level of education, at least a BA or BS + a Masters degree and for many extended Graduate work to stay on top of their fields. Lo and behold these hard working educated people who bust their asses to leave no child behind and try their damnedest to get every kid to reach his or her optimum potential are at the same time doubling as child care workers for the millions and millions of households with more and more 2 parents working to support the family. Glorified? No, not hardly. In the eyes of many not worth the money they are paid. There are a lot of people out there, TAXPAYERS, who have a say in only one tax bill they pay - SCHOOL TAXES, who whine, bitch, complain, and vote NO on school budgets because those lousy so and so teachers are after another GD raise. I wish every one of them had the same attitude you do as to the value of education and the teachers who provide it. It may be the most important job undertaken in every society on earth, the education of the future of the world.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, but some of that is due to the variant. Only a matter of time before it goes to work in Fraser Health.

Afraid you are right.

I heard one projection a couple of weeks back that by May, Fraser Health could be 1500 a day alone, before vaccinations catch up to where we need to be.

Sad to say we will be breaking hospitalization and ICU numbers over the next few weeks.

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino