C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Can anyone who's watched him play tell me why his goal scoring numbers are so underwhelming? He's top 5 in points right now yet he's the only player in the top 23 who's not at double digits in goals with 7 goals (the guys at 24 and 25 are at 9 goals)

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Can anyone who's watched him play tell me why his goal scoring numbers are so underwhelming? He's top 5 in points right now yet he's the only player in the top 23 who's not at double digits in goals with 7 goals (the guys at 24 and 25 are at 9 goals)

The top 3 goal scorers in the league are on his team, and he leads the league in assists. From just looking at the stat sheet he seems to be doing more playmaking while his teammates are finishing.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
The top 3 goal scorers in the league are on his team, and he leads the league in assists. From just looking at the stat sheet he seems to be doing more playmaking while his teammates are finishing.

According to several of his teammates many of his "assists" are from the bench. Lol. Typical Lions crap.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Can we all agree that there is 'point fraud' in all of minor hockey and that none of it is perfect and that you should look at the players abilities and not their point total? There is always going to be stat padding and kids that tell the ref that the 'Second assist is mine' .. but really scouting these types of players should *never* be bound by points - if you are truly exceptional for your age group and playing up you will get the bulk of the points that are displayed, no need to quip over it.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Okay aside from the stats, how does this kid play, what's his skating style like, his strengths etc.. I assume he might have the possibility of ripping up midget again next year, will be fun to see him and Xavier Parent play in the same division, I assume he'll be talked about more starting next season.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Okay aside from the stats, how does this kid play, what's his skating style like, his strengths etc.. I assume he might have the possibility of ripping up midget again next year, will be fun to see him and Xavier Parent play in the same division, I assume he'll be talked about more starting next season.

I'm not sure the Phenix will offer to surclass him into Midget AAA.

Last year they only offered to surclass him into Bantam AA and he refused to go.

They will not surclass him into midget AAA unless they are sure he can succeed.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
3 goals over the weekend and up to 10 on the year now. Currently sitting in 6th in points and 4 back of the leader.

I have not watched either play, but Veleno is 1 point ahead of Maxime Comtois, who many consider to be the leading candidate to go 1st overall in the Q draft.

How does Veleno compare to the 99 class in Quebec for those who have been watching?

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Veleno has excelled but there seems to be a real phantom assists issue there... LSL Lions is quite the controversial organization and there have been a few games where he went pointless and an assist was added here and there afterwards. Don't know why they would do that since the kid is excellent and obviousy does not need that at all. Haven't seen enough of the top-99 in the province to make that comparison. Maybe someone else can make that comparison.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 32m32 minutes ago

First step of many but the QMJHL will meet with the Veleno family via @steveturcotte #ExceptionalPlayerStatus

steve turcotte ‏@steveturcotte 39m39 minutes ago

La LHJMQ va rencontrer la famille de Joseph Veleno #possiblestatutdexceptionnel

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spo...01-4827286-joseph-veleno-un-nom-a-retenir.php

Anyone seen him play thinks he deserves it? Just based on stats, he's nowhere near the other exceptional status players, only 40 pts in 30 games it's listed...but anyways would be interesting, would be a first for the Q.

Bodes well for Xavier Parent next year as well if he's granted it I suppose. He seems to be lighting it up in bantam at a pace Veleno didn't even have.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They better not grant him exceptional status. Nobody will ever get it again because he's not an exceptional status player.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
They better not grant him exceptional status. Nobody will ever get it again because he's not an exceptional status player.

Without getting in to the definition of exceptional status would you have him ranked number one for the next QMJHL draft

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Without getting in to the definition of exceptional status would you have him ranked number one for the next QMJHL draft

No & I could probably make an argument for Jared McIsaac in 2016. Probably not a winning argument but he's been quite exceptional as an underage in midget himself.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Hopefully Veleno plays at CWG so we can actually see him against the top competition of 99's across Canada.

I remember in 2011 being shocked when ontario didn't select Ekblad however, and he still got EPS.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 32m32 minutes ago

First step of many but the QMJHL will meet with the Veleno family via @steveturcotte #ExceptionalPlayerStatus

steve turcotte ‏@steveturcotte 39m39 minutes ago

La LHJMQ va rencontrer la famille de Joseph Veleno #possiblestatutdexceptionnel

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spo...01-4827286-joseph-veleno-un-nom-a-retenir.php

Anyone seen him play thinks he deserves it? Just based on stats, he's nowhere near the other exceptional status players, only 40 pts in 30 games it's listed...but anyways would be interesting, would be a first for the Q.

Bodes well for Xavier Parent next year as well if he's granted it I suppose. He seems to be lighting it up in bantam at a pace Veleno didn't even have.

Parent is doing great but not sure if how big he will be next year. Veleno is 6'1" 170 pounds at 14 years old.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
JV is good, ok, JV is really good, his vision, hands and skating ability is far far far beyond his years and I'd say excellent, but there is no way JV should even be considered to be exceptional status into the Q.

I'll be the first to admit, I did not see him succeeding in Midget AAA as a 14 year old and he has held his own by doing very well. However, dont look at stats to much, as a few have said, I've witnessed it, goals where he was not on the ice, the following day he had an assist on the score sheet.

JV is going to play professional hockey for a living, I can guarantee you that, but the push he is getting at 14 is not what is needed. Why must they rush another kid up the ranks? To get pushed up, for me anyway you need to straight up DOMINATE and tear the league apart. He did not do that in Bantam AAA (didnt even win the scoring title), and he is not doing that in Midget AAA. Being among the top point getters and dominating the league are 2 very different things.

He is nowhere even close to John Tavares or Conor McDavid to receive the honor of exceptional status.

Again, I repeat, he's good, Im not shooting him down and believe in his ability. I just dont think he's as ready as many seem to think.

and now, just for a little rant I need to get off my chest, again on JV,
I saw 9 games of the Reebok challenge last week in Gatineau, including 2 of the Lions games. No disrespect to him, or the selection committee but him being on the tournament all star team is a joke. He was nowhere close to one of the top 3 forwards in the tournament. Off the top of my head... Brushett (also on Lions) was much better than him, Cote, Cardinal and Poulin from Levis - Bastille from Notre Dame - Chapleau from Charles Lemoyne - Larose from Trois Riviere - Belanger from Jonquiere and I could go on and on. Honestly think it's a joke he is there. 1 Goal 1 Assist in 3 games where his team lost 2 of those game is all star of the tournament quality, what an insult to the other players who played in the challenge.
also off topic, how was Alex Breton not an all star on defence LOL ... 11 points in 6 games including 6 goals... AS A DEFENCEMEN!!!!

/end rant

LSL Parent

Nov 2, 2013
JV is good, ok, JV is really good, his vision, hands and skating ability is far far far beyond his years and I'd say excellent, but there is no way JV should even be considered to be exceptional status into the Q.

I'll be the first to admit, I did not see him succeeding in Midget AAA as a 14 year old and he has held his own by doing very well. However, dont look at stats to much, as a few have said, I've witnessed it, goals where he was not on the ice, the following day he had an assist on the score sheet.

JV is going to play professional hockey for a living, I can guarantee you that, but the push he is getting at 14 is not what is needed. Why must they rush another kid up the ranks? To get pushed up, for me anyway you need to straight up DOMINATE and tear the league apart. He did not do that in Bantam AAA (didnt even win the scoring title), and he is not doing that in Midget AAA. Being among the top point getters and dominating the league are 2 very different things.

He is nowhere even close to John Tavares or Conor McDavid to receive the honor of exceptional status.

Again, I repeat, he's good, Im not shooting him down and believe in his ability. I just dont think he's as ready as many seem to think.

and now, just for a little rant I need to get off my chest, again on JV,
I saw 9 games of the Reebok challenge last week in Gatineau, including 2 of the Lions games. No disrespect to him, or the selection committee but him being on the tournament all star team is a joke. He was nowhere close to one of the top 3 forwards in the tournament. Off the top of my head... Brushett (also on Lions) was much better than him, Cote, Cardinal and Poulin from Levis - Bastille from Notre Dame - Chapleau from Charles Lemoyne - Larose from Trois Riviere - Belanger from Jonquiere and I could go on and on. Honestly think it's a joke he is there. 1 Goal 1 Assist in 3 games where his team lost 2 of those game is all star of the tournament quality, what an insult to the other players who played in the challenge.
also off topic, how was Alex Breton not an all star on defence LOL ... 11 points in 6 games including 6 goals... AS A DEFENCEMEN!!!!

/end rant

I was there also and watched most of the games. I could not have written the rant any better. It's obvious that he is a mega skilled 2000, by far better than his peer group, however he is playing with Brushett who is probably the best player in the league and he also gets a lot easy minutes on the power play. In addition, the top 6 forwards on the lions team are probably the most potent in the league, whoever is playing within that mix of guys will get huge points! In no way is this a slight, just an outsider view.

On the positive side, I think it's awesome for the Lions to sell one of their own talents, Hockey Quebec picks their favorites every year and they always seem to have an agenda in the old gentlemens club.

Call it whatever you want, marketing, hype, smoke and mirrors. At the end of the day the kid is awesome, however at the same time a beneficary of very good circumstances !

Hockey RUS

May 7, 2013
Veleno is being showcased right now and the rest of the team is suffering. He has been showcased since he "moved" to LSL.

I do not think playing in the Q is the best for any 15 year old. More down side than upside.

Someone is rushing him big time. He is a great talent but, still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad